Four Hfr stains of E. coli are known to transfer their genetic material during conjugation in different sequences. Given the time of entry of the markers into the F- recipient: A. Construct a genetic map that includes all of these markers. (12 points) B. Label the time distance between adjacent gene pairs. (11 points) C. I
BrainMass Solutions Available for Instant Download
Design (an) RNA probe(s) with 18-20 nucleotides that will allow you to identify by hybridization the gene for a protein with the following N-terminal amino acid sequence. H3N+- ala-pro-met-thr-trp-tyr-cys-met-asp-trp-ile-ala-gly-gly-pro-trp-phe-arg-lys-asn-thr-lys-. Explain your reasoning.
ASSIGNMENT: Use R and BioConductor to explore microarray analysis, since most of the useful analysis algorithms have already been implemented in BioConductor. The sample data is data.dat (attached). This includes the expression profiles of 120 genes in 4 normal samples, 7 cancer samples and 3 unknown samples. Deliverables
Dihybrid cross; find percentage of black fine hair when two mice heterozygous for both of these traits are mated.
In a certain set of lab mice, black hair is dominant to white hair, and coarse hair is dominant to fine hair. Determine the percentage of black, fine-haired offspring that will result if two mice heterozygous for both of these traits are mated. Draw a Punnet Square to support your answer.
See attached for full problem description You are given a genomic DNA from human with unknown function. You suspect this piece of DNA might code for a protein, but you are not sure which of the 6 frames are really coding. Which frame is most likely coding? Which is the most significant domain match? Does this prote
CpG islands are stretches of CG-rich sequences in the genome. They are often of functional important, as 50% of the human genes have a CpG island around 500bp upstream of the transcription site. Of course, CpG sequence is not only CG, and non-CpG island sequences could still contain some CG. Therefore, we could use HMM to predic
Use reciprocal blast (bi-directional best hit) to find the human RefSeq sequence ortholog for mouse RefSeq sequence NM_007527. Note you should limit the database to RefSeq and select the right organism. You can obtain NM_007527 sequence by searching Nucleotide for NM_007527 from the the NCBI website.
Part 1 1. Create a table comparing and contrasting the two processes. Include in your comparison variables such as organism type, energy source, cellular location, substrates/reactants/products, full and balanced chemical reaction, carrier molecules, and any other parameter you find relevant. 2. Apart from its essential r
See attached file for full problem description. Note: Please do not use other sources for your answer (Eg: Wikipedia) and please answer in full (Not simplified sentences), I need to be able to understand what you are explaining. When you carry out the working, please use punnett squares and diagrams. Question 2 is the most i
What have twin studies and adoption taught us about the role of inheritance in human intelligence?
See attached file for full problem description. 1. A man and woman marry who are both Rh+ and both heterozygous for the Rh factor. (Rh+ is dominant over Rh-.) A. Give the genotypes of the parents. (2 points) Man ______________ Woman ______________ B. What is the probability that their first child will be Rh-? (2 points
See attached file for full problem description.
Problems are attached on a scan. They are numbered 1 through 3 and they are on the last page. If have attached the lab from which this problem came from.
In humans, red-green color blindness is recessive and X-linked, while albinism is recessive and autosomal. What types of children can be produced as the result of marriages between two homozygous parents, a normal-visioned albino woman and a color-blind, normally pigmented man?
50. Determine the frequency of allele A after one generation under the following conditions of migration: (a) P=0.6; Pm=0.1; m=0.2 (b) P=0.2; Pm=0.7; m=0.3 (c) P=0.1; Pm=0.2; m=0.1
Biology Problems: statistics (mean, variance, standard deviation, standard error), sequence of genes
47. Corn plants from a test plot are measured, and the distribution of heights at 10-cm intervals is recorded below. (see chart in attached file) Calculate (a) the mean height, (b) the variance (c) the standard deviation, and (d) standard error of the mean. 48. The genes dumpy wing (dp), clot eye (cl), and apterous wing
(1) Two inbred strains of mice, one strain with black fur and one strain with brown fur, were crossed. All of the offspring had black fur. If the offspring are bred together, what percentage of their offspring will have black fur? (2) Given the B and b alleles from the above question, and the T and t alleles which determine
1. Which of the following genotype below shows a pure dominant genotype? A) Aa B) aa C) AA D) AB 2. Genes that are located at the same position on homologous chromosomes are called A) recessive B) dominant C) alleles D) albinism 5. Which of the following would represent the sex chromosomes of a normal female? A) XX
Hi, I don't have a problem with the question itself but i don't understand how my textbook use probabilty in solving the problem. How many genetically different eggs could be formed by a women with the following genotypes? Aa bb CC DD Now it's obvious that one gamete will have (A b C D) and the other gamete will hav
1. Draw all possible chromosome configurations in Metaphase I with a dihybrid AaBb. 2. Do the same things as in question 1 for the genotype AaBbCc. 3. How many types of gametes would result from a dihybrid AaBb? What are they? 4. What portion of the zygotes will be a. AaBBCc? b. AABBCc? c. AaBbCc?
For the problems attached please show the symbols used in human pedigree analysis and/or Punnett Square if needed. Please also explain answers. Thank you! --- 1. A sex-linked recessive allele c produces a red-green colorblindness in humans. A normal woman whose father was colorblind carries a colorblind man. a. What
1. a. The ability to taste the chemical phenylthiocarbamide is an autosomal dominant phenotype, and the inability to taste it is recessive. If a taster woman with a nontaster father marries a taster man who in a previous marriage had a nontaster daughter, what is the probability that their first child will be (1) A nontaster
There are a 100 feral pigs on a island in which 75 individuals are solid black and 25 are black and white spotted, the recessive phenotype. Calculate the frequency of the black allele (B) and the spotted allele (b) in the population, as well as the frequency of each genotype (BB, Bb, and bb) in the population.
What are the basic components of a cell?
If 9% of an African population is born with a severe form of sickle-cell anemia (ss), what percentage of the population will be more resistant to malaria because they are heterozygous (Ss) for the sickle-cell gene?
DIHYBRID CROSSES WITH INCOMPLETE DOMINANCE In cattle, polled is dominant to horned, and roan is the result of the heterozygous condition of the genes for red and white. What proportion of the offspring of a red, heterozygous polled bull and a roan, horned cow would be expected to be roan and horned? 25% SEX LINKAGE
The development of DNA and genetic analysis has opened up a whole new branch of biological investigation: molecular phylogeny. DNA analysis has been used to reclassify a great number of organisms. These ultra-sensitive techniques have been able to reveal previously imperceptible relationships between both living and extinct orga
I need to be able to list the work and list the expected phenotypic ratios for the following crosses: A. If a red cow is bred with a white bull, all offspring are roan, which have red and white hairs intermixed on the hide. I know this is an example of co-dominance, but what are the results of roan x roan? B. If solid x sp
If a rabbit breeder crossed a pure-bred white normal-coated male with a pure-bred black Havana female with satin coat and all the offspring were Havana black with normal coats. Then he crossed two of the Havana blacks with normal coats in hopes of obtaining a satin black Havana rabbit. What would be the likelihood of this
There is an international conference that has been called to promote research in biomimicry that will have applications in genetic engineering and in biotechnology. The research and Development Corporation uses biomimicry techniques to look for antibiotics produced by fungi. You have been asked to present at conference. You