1. Which of the following genotype below shows a pure dominant genotype?
A) Aa B) aa C) AA D) AB
5. Which of the following would represent the sex chromosomes of a normal female?
A) XX B) XY C) YY D) XXY
6. The parents of three girl are expecting another child. What are the chances the child will be a boy?
A) 25% B) 50% C) 75% D) 100%
7. ALBINISM IN HUMANS IS INHERITED AS A SIMPLE RECESSIVE TRAIT. FOR THE FOLLOWING FAMILIES, DETERMINE THE GENOTYPES OF THE PARENTS AND OFFSPRING. WHEN TWO ALTERNATIVE GENOTYPES ARE POSSIBLE LIST BOTH
A) TWO NORMAL PARENTS HAVE FIVE CHILDREN, FOUR NORMAL, AND ONE ALBINO
B) A NORMAL MALE AND ALBINO FEMALE HAVE SIX CHILDREN, ALL NORMAL
C) A NORMAL MALE AND AN ALBINO FEMALE HAVE SIX CHILDREN, THREE NOTMAL AND THREE ALBINO
D) CONSTRUCT A PEDIGREE OF THE FAMILIES IN (B) AND (C) ASSUME THAT ONE OF THE NORMAL CHILDREN IN (B) MARRIES ONE OF THE ALBINO CHILDREN IN (C) AND THAT THEY HAVE EIGHT CHILDREN.
10. Using the forked-line, or branch diagram, method, determine the genotypic and phenotypic ratios of the trihybrid crosses.
(a) AaBbCc x AaBBCC (b) AaBBCc x aaBBCc (c) AaBbCc x AaBbCc
11. All of the sperm from one human male are generically identical
A) True B) False
12. The A and B antigens in humans may be found in water-soluble form in secretions, including saliva, of some individuals but not by others. The population thus contains "secretors" and nonsecretors". The following inheritance patterns have established that this trait is inherited:
Secretor x secretor all secretors
Nonsecretors x nonsecretors all nonsecretors
Secretor x nonsecretor all secretors
F1 secretors F2= ¾ secretors:
How is the trait inherited? Determine the genotypes of all parents and offspring. (address the above pattern)
13. Why is poly dT an effective primer for reverse trancriptase?
14. cDNA can be cloned into vectors to create a cDNA library. In analyzing cDNA clones. It is often difficult to find clones that are full length, that is, extend to the 5' end of the mRNA. Why is this so?
16. Linked genes can separated on a chromosome by the process of
A) crossing over B) mutation C) linkage D) no disjunction
27. Looking at the codon sequence here, how would this mutation be classified?
ATC-TGC-GGA DNA sequence before mutation
ATT-CTG-CGG DNA sequence after mutation
A) insertion B) deletion C) substitution D) none of these.
28. Why is the above answer correct?
29. How many participants are involved in a TRIO paternity test?
A) 5 B) 4 C) 3 D) NONE of the above
30. When taking a buccal swab collection, were are samples taken from?
A) Blood B) Finger C) mouth D) urine
31. When taking samples from a swab DNA is been gathered when plenty of saliva is present.
A) true B) false
32. Typically in a buccal swab test, what is the standard amount of time?
A) 10 second B) 30 seconds C) 5 seconds D) any amount of time
33. What organization does the acronym AABB stand for?
34. Down syndrome results from genetic mutation called
A) histamine B) nondisjunction C) substitution D) insertion
35. How many nitrogen bases are needed to code for one amino acid?
A) 1 B) 2 C) 3 D)4
36. The biological process of mRNA coping the original DNA molecules is called
A) translation B) transcription C) hydrolysis D) dehydration synthesis
Match the genetic cross of the parents on the left with the genotypes on the right of the offspring most likely to be produced from the cross. You may use an answer choice more than once or not at all.
(Write answers on the lines provided below)
GENETIC CROSS PREDICTED OFFSPRING
37. BB x bb ____ A. 25% BB, 50% Bb, 25% bb
38. Bb x Bb ____ B. 100% bb
39. BB x BB ____ C. 100% Bb
40. bb x bb ____ D. 50% Bb, 50% bb
41. Bb x bb ____ E. 100 BB
F. 75% Bb, 25% bb
Match the genetic cross of the parents on the left with the phenotypes on the right of the offspring most likely to be produce from that cross. You may use an answer choice more than once of not at all.
GENETIC CROSS PREDICTED OFFSPRING
42. TT x tt ____ A. 100% short
43. tt x Tt ____ B. 75% tall, 25% short
44. Tt x Tt ____ C. 100% tall
45. TT x TT ____ D. 25% tall, 75% short
46. tt x tt ____ E. 50% tall, 50% short
48. Which of the following conditions would not be desirable in genetic study?
A) Testing organisms that produce large number of offspring
B) Testing organism that are small in body size.
C) Testing organisms that have a long life cycle.
D) Testing organism that have large chromosomes.
49. The "address" of a gene on a chromosome is called its ___________________.
50. Alternative forms of a gene (e.g. short and tall in garden peas, t and T) are called _______________________________.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 6:42 pm ad1c9bdddf