Can a person increase their metabolic rate or is that something set for a given person's genetics? How does exercise play into this?
Colorblindness in humans is x-linked recessive trait. Question: One out of every 12 human males has red green colorblindness. How common is it among human females. Can you show me how to determine its prevalence among females as a genetics problem? I believe the answer to this problem is 1/200 females are colorblind. I
Can you determine the genotypes of the parents of this cross? Determine the genotypes of the three dogs. Explain why the F1 are all red and how the 9:6:1 ratio of the phenotypes in the F2 occurred.
1.) Fur color in rabbits is determined by a single gene locus for which there are four alleles. Four phenotypes are possible: black, Chinchilla (gray color causes by white hairs with black tips), Himalayan (white with black patches on extremities), and white. The black allele (C) is dominant over all other alleles, the Chinchil
1.) In dogs, black (B) is dominant to chestnuts (b), and solid color (S) is dominant to spotted (s). What are the genotypes of the of the parents that would produce a cross with 3/8 black solid, 3/8 black spotted, 1/8 chestnut solid, and 1/8 chestnut spotted puppies? 2.) When hairless hamsters are mated with normal-haired ham
A) Address the following Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium problem. i) A population of iguanas on the Galapagos Islands has 20 individuals with webbed feet and 180 individuals with the dominant trait of non-webbed feet. What are the frequencies of webbed feet and non-webbed feet traits in this population? ii) H
You are studying a human disease that is inherited in an autosomal dominant fashion. You recognize that the disease maps to chromosome 10, so you obtain four DNA probes that hybridize to different chromosome 10 regions. A family in which the disease appears presents itself to a medical genetics clinic. DNA is extracted from eac
I am having trouble writing the formulas. I know what each X and Y chromosome each possess but I don't know who to write a formula with that. 1. Write a formula for: (a) a male with Down syndrome (due to the presence of an extra chromosome 21) (b) a female with Turner syndrome (only one X chromosome) (c) a female with cr
Biology/Genetics Questions. See attached file for full problem description.
Consider the following artificially created yeast Ty element: See attached file for full problem description. Upstream from the element has been placed the very strong PGAL promoter which is induced by galactose added to the media. The transcript traverses the whole element (large dashed arrow). Downstream from the normal
Four Hfr stains of E. coli are known to transfer their genetic material during conjugation in different sequences. Given the time of entry of the markers into the F- recipient: A. Construct a genetic map that includes all of these markers. (12 points) B. Label the time distance between adjacent gene pairs. (11 points) C. I
Design (an) RNA probe(s) with 18-20 nucleotides that will allow you to identify by hybridization the gene for a protein with the following N-terminal amino acid sequence. H3N+- ala-pro-met-thr-trp-tyr-cys-met-asp-trp-ile-ala-gly-gly-pro-trp-phe-arg-lys-asn-thr-lys-. Explain your reasoning.
Dimension Reduction. See attached file for full problem description.
Dihybrid cross; find percentage of black fine hair when two mice heterozygous for both of these traits are mated.
In a certain set of lab mice, black hair is dominant to white hair, and coarse hair is dominant to fine hair. Determine the percentage of black, fine-haired offspring that will result if two mice heterozygous for both of these traits are mated. Draw a Punnet Square to support your answer.
See attached for full problem description You are given a genomic DNA from human with unknown function. You suspect this piece of DNA might code for a protein, but you are not sure which of the 6 frames are really coding. Which frame is most likely coding? Which is the most significant domain match? Does this prote
Use reciprocal blast (bi-directional best hit) to find the human RefSeq sequence ortholog for mouse RefSeq sequence NM_007527. Note you should limit the database to RefSeq and select the right organism. You can obtain NM_007527 sequence by searching Nucleotide for NM_007527 from the the NCBI website.
See attached file for full problem description. Note: Please do not use other sources for your answer (Eg: Wikipedia) and please answer in full (Not simplified sentences), I need to be able to understand what you are explaining. When you carry out the working, please use punnett squares and diagrams. Question 2 is the most i
What have twin studies and adoption taught us about the role of inheritance in human intelligence?
See attached file for full problem description. 1. A man and woman marry who are both Rh+ and both heterozygous for the Rh factor. (Rh+ is dominant over Rh-.) A. Give the genotypes of the parents. (2 points) Man ______________ Woman ______________ B. What is the probability that their first child will be Rh-? (2 points
Problems are attached on a scan. They are numbered 1 through 3 and they are on the last page. If have attached the lab from which this problem came from.
50. Determine the frequency of allele A after one generation under the following conditions of migration: (a) P=0.6; Pm=0.1; m=0.2 (b) P=0.2; Pm=0.7; m=0.3 (c) P=0.1; Pm=0.2; m=0.1
Biology Problems: statistics (mean, variance, standard deviation, standard error), sequence of genes
47. Corn plants from a test plot are measured, and the distribution of heights at 10-cm intervals is recorded below. (see chart in attached file) Calculate (a) the mean height, (b) the variance (c) the standard deviation, and (d) standard error of the mean. 48. The genes dumpy wing (dp), clot eye (cl), and apterous wing
(1) Two inbred strains of mice, one strain with black fur and one strain with brown fur, were crossed. All of the offspring had black fur. If the offspring are bred together, what percentage of their offspring will have black fur? (2) Given the B and b alleles from the above question, and the T and t alleles which determine
1. Which of the following genotype below shows a pure dominant genotype? A) Aa B) aa C) AA D) AB 2. Genes that are located at the same position on homologous chromosomes are called A) recessive B) dominant C) alleles D) albinism 5. Which of the following would represent the sex chromosomes of a normal female? A) XX
Hi, I don't have a problem with the question itself but i don't understand how my textbook use probabilty in solving the problem. How many genetically different eggs could be formed by a women with the following genotypes? Aa bb CC DD Now it's obvious that one gamete will have (A b C D) and the other gamete will hav
1. Draw all possible chromosome configurations in Metaphase I with a dihybrid AaBb. 2. Do the same things as in question 1 for the genotype AaBbCc. 3. How many types of gametes would result from a dihybrid AaBb? What are they? 4. What portion of the zygotes will be a. AaBBCc? b. AABBCc? c. AaBbCc?
For the problems attached please show the symbols used in human pedigree analysis and/or Punnett Square if needed. Please also explain answers. Thank you! --- 1. A sex-linked recessive allele c produces a red-green colorblindness in humans. A normal woman whose father was colorblind carries a colorblind man. a. What
1. a. The ability to taste the chemical phenylthiocarbamide is an autosomal dominant phenotype, and the inability to taste it is recessive. If a taster woman with a nontaster father marries a taster man who in a previous marriage had a nontaster daughter, what is the probability that their first child will be (1) A nontaster
What are the basic components of a cell?
If 9% of an African population is born with a severe form of sickle-cell anemia (ss), what percentage of the population will be more resistant to malaria because they are heterozygous (Ss) for the sickle-cell gene?
DIHYBRID CROSSES WITH INCOMPLETE DOMINANCE In cattle, polled is dominant to horned, and roan is the result of the heterozygous condition of the genes for red and white. What proportion of the offspring of a red, heterozygous polled bull and a roan, horned cow would be expected to be roan and horned? 25% SEX LINKAGE