Calculate the equilibrium concentration of HC2O4- in a 0.20 M solution of oxalic acid. HC2O4- = _____________________
BrainMass Solutions Available for Instant Download
An NMR and IR spectrum of an unknown compound were provided. The compound is a light yellowish powder-like substance with a melting range of 110-112 degrees celcius. When the ferric chloride test was performed, the solution turned red. The Bayer test was positive as well.
Identify the product(s) of cis-norbornene-5,6-endo-dicraboxylic acid under reflux (heat) with sulfuric acid. Draw all possible products and provide curved arrow mechanism. What is the role of sulfuric acid? Expected material's melting point is reported at 203 C.
1. Write a balanced equation for a reaction between butananoyl chloride and diethylamine ((CH3CH2)2NH). Give the IUPAC name of the carboxylic acid derivative product. 2. Write a balanced equation for a reaction between propanoic anhydride and diethylamine. 3. Write a step-wise mechanism for the formation of a cylic e
Good day, I am writing up a lab on, "Hypochlorite Oxidation of Methyl Ketones by Haloform Reaction". We used acetophenone and bleach (NaOCl) as our reactants. We got a percent yield of 8.7%. I am wondering where to find resources for predicted percent yields. I was also wondering how the amount of mixing effects perc
How would you separate a mixture of benzene, benzoic acid and pyridine using an extractive procedure?
2. Why is a large excess of acetic acid used in the preparation of isopentyl acetate? 3. Concentrated sulfuric acid is used as a catalyst for the esterification of acetic acid in the preparation of isopentyl acetate. Why is sulfuric acid needed if another acid, acetic acid, is already present? 4. Fatty acids are long-ch
Write the full balanced equation and the balanced net ionic reaction for each reaction formed a product. (solid, liquid, gas). Make sure new product is balanced. NH4OH+HNO3 NH4OH+HCl HCL+NaOH HNO3+NaOH H2SO4+H2SO4 HNO3+Na2CO3 Na2CO3+H2SO4
Oxygen-Containing Compounds How does the refractive index of a liquid vary with temperature? What corrective factor is often used to determine the value at a specific temperature? For example, 20 degrees C. If the measurement were made at 25 degrees C?
How does the refractive index of a liquid vary with temperature? What corrective factor is often used to determine the value at a specific temperature? For example, 20 degrees C. If the measurement were made at 25 degrees C?
1. Bolecic acid, C18H26O2, yields stearic acid, CH3(CH2)16COOH, on catalytic hydrogenation. Ozonolysis of bolecic acid yields the following products: CH2O, HOOC-COOH, HOOC(CH2)7COOH, OHC(CH2)4COOH. Propose a structure for the bolecic acid. 2. Show the positions of the isoprene units in each of the indicated terpenes provid
For questions 1-3, please refer to the attachment. 1. Indicate which hydrogens in compound II are the most acidic. Explain 2. Choose the most acidic compound from compound I-IV. Explain 3. Draw the structures for all enols of compound I 4. Nitroethane [CH3CH2NO2, pKa=8.6] is a much stronger acid than ethane[CH3CH3, pKa=60
Please see the attachment for the full questions. 1. Provide proper IUPAC names. 2. Provide proper IUPAC names. 3. Acetals are a special class of ethers which have two ether linkages at a single carbon. Tetrahydropyranyl ethers are acetals that are easily cleaved with mild aqueous acids at room temperature to yield alc
17) Explain why cyanoacetic acid and methoxyacctic acid are more acidic than their correspondingly substituted benzoic acid counterparts. 18) Even though the para position is one carbon farther from the carboxy group than the meta position, p-cyanobenzoic acid is more acidic than m-cyanobenzoic acid. Explain the differences i
Lab 8 DIRECTIONS: The minimum daily requirement for vitamin C is 30mg and the recommended daily allowance is 60-70 mg. You can find the vitamin C content on the labels of most commercially available juices. How close is their reported number to the actual amount of the vitamin in the juice? You will test that in this lab
Given that the PKa of H2SO4 is -9 and that of HNO3 is -1.4, explain why nitration occurs more rapidly in a mixture of concentrated nitric and sulfuric acids than in concentrated nitric acid alone. Make sure you use equations and the mechanism of formation of the nitronium ion(NO2+) to support your answer.
Provide a method for determining the Ka of acetic acid by titration with NaOH based on the data below. Show details of the calculations. Titration #1 4 drops of methyl red indicator (to show endpoint). Burette fill with 50ml of 0.1 M NaOH. Titrate by adding 1ml increments of NaOH. Continue titration past the endpoint t
1. What types of bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, resulting in Japans surrender at the conclusion of WWII? What isotopes were used in the bombs? What were the long term effects of these bombs? 2. How much radiation is someone exposed to during a routine xray? How much radiation are people exposed to naturally fro
Preparation of Sulfanilamide: Ammonolysis Step (Hydrolysis of p-Acetamidobenzenesulfonamide) (Last Step)
" Transfer the amide to a well-drained reaction flask, add 5 mL of concentrated hydrochloric acid and 10 mL of water (for each 5 g of aniline), and boil the mixture gently until the solid has all dissolved (5-10 min); then continue the heating at the boiling point for an additional 10 min (do not evaporate to dryness). The solut
Initially have a sample of a water-insoluble, neutral organic compound dissolved in 50 mL methylene chloride that may be contaminated with: -Organic carboxylic acid and/or -Organic amine base The organic neutral compound will be a solid while the acid/base impurities can either be solids o
1) What happens when chlorosulfonic acid comes in contact with water? 2) How will you safely destroy any residual of chlorosulfonic acid remaining on your glassware? 3) Why do experimenter says "The reaction is most easily controlled when acetanilide is in the form of a hard cake, the dried solid is melted, as the melt coo
11. The Ka of HBrO is 2.5 x 10-9 When eql volumes of 0.1 M HbrO and 0.1 M NaBrO are mixed the pH of the solution will be A. Between 0 and 1 B. Between 4 and 5 C. Approximately = 7 D. Between 8 and 9 E. Between 9 and 10 Justify your answer with a calculation .......................................................
Please see the attached file.
In the synthesis of salicylic acid, what is the function of NaOH? I think that it acts as a electrophile. Is that correct? Does it also Deprotonate methyl salicylate ? Act as a Nucleophile? Act as a catalyst? Thank you for your help.
Scenario: You took 7 test tubes. In #1 you mixed 5ml of 0.1M NaOH and 5ml of H2O together. In the other 6 test tubes, you added 9ml of H2O. You took test tube #1 (with 5ml 0.1M NaOH and 5ml H2O) and added 1ml to test tube #2. Take test tube #2 and add 1ml to test tube #3. take test tube #3 and add 1ml to test tube #4 and so o
Scenario: You took 7 test tubes. In #1 you mixed 5ml of 0.1M HCl and 5ml of H2O together. In the other 6 test tubes, you added 9ml of H2O. You took test tube #1 (with 5ml HCl and 5ml of H2O) and added 1ml to test tube #2. Take test tube #2 and add 1ml to test tube #3. Take test tube #3 and add 1ml to test tube #4 and so on ti
1) Why is an acetyl group added to aniline (making acetanilide) and then removed to regenerate the amine group in sulfanilamide? 2) "Dissolve 5.0 g (0.054 mol) of aniline in 135 mL of water and 4.5 mL (0.054 mol) of concentrated of hydrochloric acid; if the solution is colored, filter it by suction through a pad of decolorizing
I have been trying to figure this out and I am very confused. Here is my problem. Find two or more products in the home that contain organic molecules. From these products, make a list of 10 organic compounds present in the products. For each compound names identify a functional group with compounds would contain. Then, based
Scenario: You took 7 test tubes. In one you mixed 5ml of 0.1M HCI and mixed 5ml of water together. You add 9ml of water to the other 6 test tubes. If you take the original test tube (the one that you mixed 5ml of 0.1M HCI and 5ml of water) and put 1ml into test tube #2. If you took test tube #2 and put 1ml into test tube #3 a
Here is the problem: 0.25 ml of 0.10M acetic acid solution. The pH meter reads 2.88. Use the measured pH and known concentration of the acetic acid solution to determine the pKa of acetic acid. 1. Using the equation pKa= -log Ka, calculate the Ka from the pH value and the starting acetic acid concentration. 2. Calculate the
I am reacting Acetophenone with bleach in excess to form benzoic acid and chloroform. During the reaction Sodium sulfite was used to detroy any unreacted bleach. I extracted the mixture of acetophene and bleach with 1.0 ml ether, after heating the solution and adding sodium sulfite. The reaction mixture was then acidfied add