1. Write a balanced equation for a reaction between butananoyl chloride and diethylamine ((CH3CH2)2NH). Give the IUPAC name of the carboxylic acid derivative product.
2. Write a balanced equation for a reaction between propanoic anhydride and diethylamine.
3. Write a step-wise mechanism for the formation of a cylic ester (lactone) when 5-hydroxypentanoic acid is treated with HCl in ethanol.
4. Draw the structure(s) of the product(s) expected in the reaction shown.
5. Draw two repeating units of the step-growth polymer that could be formed using fumaric acid and 1,4-cyclohexanediol.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com March 4, 2021, 9:20 pm ad1c9bdddf
This solution explains several key ideas of carboxylic acids:
1) Formation of an amide from an acid halide.
2) Formation of an amide from an acid anhydride.
3) Formation of a cyclic ester from a carboxylic acid.
4) Formation of a carboxylic acid via hydrolysis.
5) Formation of a polymer using an acid and alcohol in a condensation reaction.