In terms of energy, what is the difference between nonrenewable energy and renewable energy? Which source of energy will become the most significant in 50 years from now? Explain your answer. What do you think has to happen in order to make your choice a reality in 50 years?
Identify the risks and benefits of extracting or using one type of nonrenewable and one type of renewable energy resource from a forest.
View the Alternative Energy VLR located under the Week Eight Materials section of your student web page. o Describe all of the renewable energy alternatives presented in the video. o What are some challenges with using and managing these alternative, renewable energy resources? o Name at least one other renewable energy res
1. Which of the following is the largest? a. ecological footprint of a single individual in U.S. b. ecological footprint of 2 individuals in Mexico c. ecological footprint of 4 individuals in Nigeria d. ecological footprint of 6 individuals in Thailand e. ecological footprint of 8 individuals in India 2. You are given a
Write a short article (300 words or so) explaining to another student why biofuels were developed, and why there is a drive towards the use of ethanol as a petroleum (gasoline) substitute and why some American scientists argue that there should be a move away from producing ethanol from corn, towards producing it from cellulose.
What is the scientific communities way of Fueling the World using alternative energy?
3. A coal-fired power plant produces a net electrical output of 500 MW. The composition of the coal burned is C = 72%, H = 5%, S = 2%, O = 8%, N = 1%, and ash = 12% by weight. Its higher heating value (HV) is 30,940 kJ/kg. The net thermal efficiency is 33 percent. a) How much coal (in metric tons) does this plant consume in one
What are some of the environmental issues that surrounds the use coal? What are the nonliving and living factors that contribute to or are affected by the problem?
We all use energy every day to power our homes, for transportation, or other uses. How do you use energy in your daily life? Keep track of and assess your energy use for 3 days this week. Then, post to the DB a summary of how you used energy over these three days. What were the end uses of the energy (transportation or
Hybrid Cars using Fuel Cells for their energy source 1. Would you consider buying one of these in the future? Why or Why Not? 2. Why do you think there are not more of these vehicles in use? I have all of the information on these cars but would like another opinion on these two questions please. Include any refe
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages to nuclear power?.... References included. (See Posting 132465 for more details on the question and an alternate Solution.)
1. ARTIFICIAL REEFS For nearly 30 years, offshore oil platforms have been present off the coast of California. During that period of time, marine life has spread extensively on and around the oil platform structures, as if the platforms themselves are a part of the marine environment. The adapting marine life around oil pla
1) Research on the Web for articles supporting and refuting the idea of Peak Oil. 2) In a short paper, summarize some of the main points from both sides of this debate. 3) Given your research, take and defend a position in the debate. Provide persuasive arguments supporting your position.
1) What renewable energy sources and strategies do you think our society should focus on investing in? Give reasons to support to support. 2) Imagine that there is a hydroelectric dam near where you live. Consider what economic benefits and environmental impacts it has in your area. Given this mixture of effects, would you fa
As the global population increases so does the demand for resources. List five resources you believe are needed for survival and discuss why they are needed for survival. If these resources become limited it may have an effect on the individual, community or population level. Discuss 3 consequences (1 at each level-individual
>Discuss 6 ways you as an individual affects the environment/ecosystem you live in both positive (3) and negatively (3). >Our energy needs 1. Do we have enough energy supplies for everybody in the world? 2. What is the future most likely going to be like: more use of fossil fuels or alternative sources? 3. Should the gov
Please help with the following problem. I'm working on a paper that covers the current debate surrounding nuclear power (pros and cons) Can you refer me to any articles that I might use in my research? It would be great if there was a current debate regarding building a new power plant or once again using a specific plant
There are many automobile industries exploring different types of energy supplies other than gasoline. Conduct some research on these alternative fuel sources for automobiles. Discuss 3 alternatives to gasoline for automobiles. Give some detailed background information on one automobile model that uses an alternative fuel source
I am looking for more information on what are the values, ethics and philosophies that are in conflict when we try to decide whether or not to develop nuclear power plants?
I need help with writing a response to the issue pasted below on Energy for China I have also attached the article. Faced with explosive economic growth, China's energy demands have soared, forcing it to become a net importer of oil. In 2004, China became the world's second largest importer of oil, beating out
Discuss a region or location that is facing or has faced a shortage of resources (energy, productive farmland, clean water and air, or minerals). a. Write a clear description of the problem, the political and economic issues behind it, and how the shortage is affecting the community. b. Analyze resource management factors t
I need to compile a list of renewable and three non-renewable energy sources. These energy sources should be located in the region of Southeast Asia. For each source of energy I need at least four advantages and four disadvantages of each renewable and non-renewable energy source. I need to write a paper but I need help gathe
Identify and briefly describe an innovative state energy or environmental initiative.
Consider all the renewable energy sources available today. Of those you are not currently using, which would be the most likely forms that you would consider using within the next year? What personal advantages or disadvantages would prompt your decision?
How electricity production, transmission & marketing is regulated by federal and state agencies. You may answer in outline format, bullets, essay or any method that you prefer and that enables you to get a lot of information into a short time frame.
What problems prevent the widespread use of hydrogen fuel cells?
You have been assigned to a scientific commission whose mandate is to research ways of reducing air pollution from motor vehicles. Your specific assignment is to research the types of alternatives -fuel vehicles that are currently under development. Examine the advantages and disadvantages of each ,
Food is traded between states as well as globally. Global food trade is extremely important to all countries. But how many of you know where the food on your tables comes from? Many scientists wonder if we will be able to continue to grow enough food for a growing population. One of the most widely debated issues right now is
The environmental impacts of coal, oil, natural gas, biomass, hydroelectric, nuclear, solar, wind, and hydrogen in Canada
What are the direct and indirect environmental impacts of coal, oil, natural gas, biomass, hydroelectric, nuclear, solar, wind, and hydrogen usage in Canada?