1. What are the ingredients of a cephalin? 2. Which fatty acid is always unsaturated in a cephalin? Why? 3. What is the enzyme system used in the formation of the prostalandins and thromboxanes? 4. Would you expect sodium ions (Na+) to be able to pass easily into a cell through bi-layer membrane wall? Why or Why not?
Third period elements react with O2 to form Al2O3, SiO2 and P2O5. What is formed with Germanium and Oxygen?
Please answer the following questions. 1. Using sketches, demonstrate why the addition of HCN to 2-butanone yields a racemic mixture of chiral products. Circle the chiral carbon in each product. 2. Describe spectroscopic or chemical tests to distinguish between the following pairs of compounds: a. 2-pentanone vs 2-pentano
Methanol, Ethanol, & 1-Propanol 1) How would you sketch these three alcohol molecules? 2) What is each of their polarity? 3) What differences might you expect in the comparative solubility of each of them in lipids? WHY??? 4) If you were to add 2 drops of sheep blood to each of these alcohols (about 1/3 of a small te
In the mass spectrum of butylbenzene, the base peak occurs at m/z a. 134 b. 119 c. 105 d. 91 The number of mono-bromination products of p-xylene is a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 Which of the following compounds has the lowest boiling point? a. p-dichlorobenzene b. o-dichlorobenzene c. m-
I need some help with answering these questions: (See attached file for full problem description and structural formulas) 1. Predict whether the molecule would be expected to show aromatic character or not. Explain your answer. 2. What is the hybridization of the nitrogen atom in sulfathiazole? 3. Assuming that the sulfur
6. The mass spectrum and the infrared spectrum for an unknown hydrocarbon are shown below. From this information, suggest a structure for the hydrocarbon. Indicate on the spectra how your structure fits the data. (See attached file for full problem description)
4. Infrared Spectroscopy (a) Deduce a possible structure for the compound with the following major IR absorptions. Explain your choice based on the IR absorptions, indicating the absorptions on your molecule. C4H8O: 3000, 2850 (weak), 2715 (weak), 1730 (strong) cm^-1. (b) How could you use IR spectroscopy to distinguish betw
What are the structural formulas and names of all possible isomers for Methanol, 1-Propanol, & 1-Pentanol?
What are the possible isomers for Methanol, 1-Propanol, & 1-Pentanol? Are Methanol, 1-Propanol, & 1-Pentanol soluble in water and also in hexane? Why or why not? Why isn't it possible to make a ketone molecule out of a methanol or ethanol molecule? Is it because they have been oxidized?
How would you write the structural formula for trans-3,4-dimethyl-3-hexene?
Is it possible to identify what the hydrocarbon is with just knowing the volume of it (9.61 ml), the mass (7.669 g/ml), density (0.798 g/ml)? Under tensor lamp, in ambient light, and in dark light there was no color noticed. It smelled somewhat like gasoline maybe and was smoky as far as combustion characteristics. Boiling poin
Absorption of UV-visible energy by a molecule results in: a. vibrational transitions b. rotational transitions c. proton flips d. electronic transitions. 2. Which of the following compounds absorbs the longest wavelength of UV-visible light? a. 2-butene b. 1,4-hexadiene c. 1,3-hexadiene
Benzene is a organic solvent with the formula, CB6BHB6B. It boils at 80.1 C and melts at 5.5 C. Benzene's density is 0.88 gm/ml, its heat of vaporization is 20.0 KJoules per mole, its heat of fusion is 10.0 KJoules per mole, its heat capacity is 0.50 KJoules per mole-degree C for liquid benzene, 0.25 KJoules per mole-degree C fo
How many unpaired electrons are in nickel atom? Use electronegativity values to arrange the following bonds in order of increasing polarity. H---F H---CL C---S C---O
Determine how many valence electrons and if it is neutral 1s2, 2s2, 2p3 1s2, 2s2, 2p6 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6, 4s2, 3d6 AR 4s2, 3d5 Kr 5s2 4d10, 5p5
Some isomeric products were isolated from the free-radical chlorination of (R)-sec-butyl chloride. a) Draw stereochemical structures of the 1,2-, 2,2, and 1,3- dichlorobutanes obtained in this way. Give the proper R/S specification of 1,2 and the 1,3-dichlorobutanes. b) Which of these fractions as isolated will be optically act
Please see the attached for diagram. What is the number of carbon atom that determines whether the carbohydrate shown below belongs to the D series or to the L series? a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 e. 5
Please see attached The fact that glucose undergoes mutarotation is best explained by a. righ flipping between nonequivalent chair conformations by the b-pyranose form. b. interconversion of the alpha and beta pyranose forms. c. interconversion of aldehyde and enol forms d. interconversion of aldehyde and ketone forms e.
Each of the following statements about fructose is correct except one. Which statement is incorrect? a. Fructose is a stereoisomer of glucose b. Fructose has six carbon atoms c. Fructose is a monosaccharide d. Fructose is a ketose
Each of the following statements about glucose is correct except one. Which statement is incorrect? a. Glucose is an aldose b. Glucose is a hexose c. There are 14 diastereomers of glucose (in its open-chain form). d. Glucose is a monosaccharide e. Glucose is a stereoisomer of ribose.
Show that you know how to make the compound shown int he attachment by identifying the first step in its synthesis from 1-bromobutane. With which of the following would you treat 1-bromobutane in the first step?
A. trans-dichloroethene B. 2,4,4 trimethyl-2-pentene C. 2,4,4 trimethyl-1-pentene
1. Unbalanced equation SOCL2(1) + H2O(1) --- SO2(g) + HCl(g). How many molecules of H2O can 35.0 grams of thionyl chloride remove? 2. An experiment that led to the formation of the new field of organic chemistry involved the synthesis of urea, CN2H40, by the controlled reaction of ammonia and carbon dioxide: gaseous ammonia +
89. A) We often hear the terms organic, natural, and chemical in the media. Organic and natural are usually used to imply that a product is "healthy" and/or "environmentally friendly" while chemical often implies negative implications for health and for the environment. In your opinion, are these implications justified? Us
Which one of the following is chiral? a. 1,1-Dibromopropane b. 1,2-Dibromopropane c. 1,3-Dibromopropane d. 2,2-Dibromopropane e. 2-Bromo-2-chloropropane
Write the balanced equations for the mono-bromination of each of the following four hydrocarbons: 1. toluene 2. ethylbenzene 3. isopropylbenzene 4. t-butylbenzene
Which one of the following compounds undergoes nitration of its aromatic ring(electrophillic aromatic substitution) at the fastest rate: Benzene, Chlorobenzene, Nitrobenzene, Anisole, or Ethylbenzene?
(See attached file for full problem description) The structure of biphenyl and the numbering scheme used in naming its derivatives are indicated below. What is the major product obtained on dinitration of biphenyl?
1. A solution of 0.5g (-)-epinephrine dissolved in 10mL of dilute HCl was placed in a 20-cm polarimeter tube. Its optical rotation in sodium line (light wavelenth) was -5.0 degrees at 25 degrees Celsius. What is the specific rotation of the (-)-epinephrine? 2. Calculate the enantiomeric excess (e.e.), a measure of optical p