The drugs include: For Norethynodrel-- I included alcohol and ketone as the functional groups present in this drug. For Mifepristone -- I said alcohol, phenol, ether and amine. For Nonoxynol-9 -- I said amide (two amide groups?), and carboxylic acid
Which atom, carbon or O2 is partially positive...or partially negative? also...if carbon atoms started out neutral but ended up partially charged...did they gain electrons...lose them...is the carbon being reduced or oxidized? thanks so much!
I can't tell if Van der Waals forces is the specific kind of electrical attraction that causes calcium chloride to dissolve in water or not?
Describe in 75 words the structure of the carbon atom. What types of bonds does carbon form and why? Provide name and structure of two hydrocarbons and one biochemical molecules. In about 100 words carbon is said to be a uniques atom because it forms nearly limitless number of organic compounds. How is this possible.
What is the identity of the unknown in the attached IR spectrum. Please provide detailed answer. Other information about the unknown includes: - Clear liquid - Boiling point under 100 C - Insoluble in water, NaOH, and 5% HCL - Soluable in 6M HCl
N2, CO and BF are neutral diatomic molecules with 10 valence electrons. Draw a Lewis structure of BF that satisfies the octet rule for both atoms. This is important for the rest of the problems I have to do, but I can't manage to properly draw the structure. Also, if you could provide the lewis structures for CO and N2 (I
My group checked with our professor and on problem 4 of the problem set, we needed additional information. For problem 4, I need to have the different fragmentations for both 3,3 dimethylpentane and 2,2 dimethylpropane. By having both fragmentations we will demonstrate that 3,3 was the correct answer.
Deduce the structure of the compound with the 1H-NMR spectrum shown below. Its molecular formula is C9H12O. If you can't see the multiplicities; from 0 to 7 ppm you have (3H, triplet), (3H, singlet), (2H, quartet), (2H, doublet) and (2H, doublet). (6 pts)
NEED NAME FOR 1. H H H H H C C C C H H H 2. H H C = C C H H 3. H H H H H H CH3 H 4. H C C C H H C C C C C H H H
See the attached file. 1) When measured in a 1.00 cm cuvet, a 9.45×10-4 M solution of species A exhibited absorbances of 0.155 and 0.687 at 450 nm and 725 nm, respectively. A 2.65×10-3 M solution of species B gave absorbances of 0.613 and 0.078 at 450 nm and 725 nm, respectively. Both species were dissolved in the same solven
1. Is acetic acid a strong acid or a weak acid? Write a net ionic equation of acetic acid in water. 2. If a strong base is added to acetic acid, at what pH(acidic, basic, or neutral) will you expect to find the point at which moles of acid are equal to moles of base? 3. Write a net ionic equation of acetic acid with str
Draw the following named compounds using condensed structural formulas: a. 4-ethylheptane b. 1,2,2-triethyloctane c. 2,3,3-trimethylbutane d. 4,5-cyclopentane e. 2-methyl-3,7-diiododecane f. 2,4-dibromo-4-ethylpentane g. 2,2-ethyl-5-methyl-3-hexene h. 5-chloro-1-pentene i. ethyne j. propene k. 2,3-methylcyclopentene
In the stepwise trihalogenation process of a methyl group in acetophenone the methyl group in intitially deprotonated. This deprotonation species bears a negative charge on the carbon atom is stabilized by resonance. Show resonance forms and briefly explain.
Why are fats a good source of energy for storage in the body? Why is the hydrophobic nature of lipids important in the body?
The threshold/NOEL level found for a particular chemical from animal studies is 0.006 mg/kg body weight per day. The only source for the chemical is freshwater fish, where it occurs at an average level of 0.2 ppm. What is the maximum average daily consumption(g) of such fish that would keep exposure level below the ADI or RfD fo
If a precipitate forms when BaCl2 solution is added to a solution of your unknown, which anion is indicated to be present in the unknown? A. Cl- B. NO3- C. C2H3O2- D. SO4 2- Please explain how you arrived at your answer. Thank you. You smell ammonia when NaOH solution is added to a solution of your unknown. Which o
Chiral compounds occur when a carbon atom has four different things bonded to it. All but the simplest amino acids (glycine) are chiral because the alpha carbon has an amine group, a carboxylic acid group, and two different groups bonded to it. Some amino acids are even more complicated in that another carbon in the molecule i
Question 11 The following molecules are known Persistent Organic Pollutants, which are globally monitored & regulated. Their log(Kow) values, as reported by the United Nations Environmental Protection Agency (UNEP) in 1995, are given here. Where ranges are given, this indicates different values obtained under different enviro
What NMR spectrum would you expect to observe for the following compounds 1. Acetone 2. 1,12-Tribromoethane Please show the sketch.
1. a. You are presented with three identical metal containers of about 5 litres capacity, each about half full of fuel. The containers have a short neck and are normally closed by a screw cap of about 30mm diameter. The cans contain: (i) petrol (gasoline, flashpoint -43oC), (ii) methyl alcohol (methanol, flashpoint
For questions 1 and 2, classify each of the nitrogen atoms as primary, secondary, tertiary, or quaternary. For question 3-6, provide the proper IUPAC names. For question 7, convert the following Fischer projection into tetrahedral representations and assign R or S stereochemistry.
1. Write structural formulas for the following compounds: a. 2,4-dimethylpentane b. 3-bromo-1-chlorohexane c. 1,2-dimethylcyclobutane d. 2-chloro-1-methylcyclohexane 2. Write expanded formulas for the following compounds, and name them, using the IUPAC system: a. CH3CH2C(CH3)2CH3 b. CH3CH2Cl c. CHCl2CHBrCl d. (CH3)3CF
Hello, Can you please help me with these two problems. I can't seem to work through the steps to even find the carbocation intermediate in step two as described in the first problem to explain why it is stabilized. I not sure where to begin on the second problem. Thank you!
Starting from benzene or toluene show how the following syntheses may be accomplished. You may use any needed inorganic materials. a) Benzene --------------------4-Idoobenzoic Acid b) Benzene -------------------- chemical structure See attached.
Carbohydrate Chemistry: Quantitative Tests and Biological Conversion of Sucrose to Ethanol - Four questions
Lab Handout - "The Chemistry of Winemaking; The biosynthesis of Ethanol. 1.) By using yeast, can glucose and fructose be converted to ethanol? 2.) What are the other side products present in this biocatytic reaction? 3.) Name the principal enzymes taking part in this bioconversion. To which class of enzymes do they belong t
Describe and compare disinfection using chlorine, ozone and ultraviolet light by listing the advantages and the disadvantages of each disinfectant in a table.
Why do we use 1.1 equivalents of bromine solution in the bromination reaction?
Synthesize the following compound. See Attached
1) What do understand by the terms a) Empirical Formula b) isomerism and what conclusions can you draw from the following observations about the chemical nature of the organic liquid D? a) D (relative molecular mass 72 ) has the following persentage composition by mass: Carbon 66.7, hydrogen 11.1, oxygen 22.2 b) D gives an
1. A proton that absorbs radio frequency radiation at higher field strength will appear _____ in a 1H NMR spectrum. a. at 0 ppm b. downfield (away from TMS) c. upfield (closer to TMS) d. at 7.27 ppm just like CDCl3 2. The carbonyl peak of benzaldehyde appears as a very strong and intense peak at 1703 cm^-1. Normally the