(See attached file for full problem description) p_Ethyl aniline is treated with NaNO3 in HCl to generate the diazonium salt. For the first two, show what reagents are necessary to convert the salt to the products shown below. For the third, show what product is obtained. Synthesize the following compounds using the startin
1. What are the ingredients of a cephalin? 2. Which fatty acid is always unsaturated in a cephalin? Why? 3. What is the enzyme system used in the formation of the prostalandins and thromboxanes? 4. Would you expect sodium ions (Na+) to be able to pass easily into a cell through bi-layer membrane wall? Why or Why not?
Third period elements react with O2 to form Al2O3, SiO2 and P2O5. What is formed with Germanium and Oxygen?
Please answer the following questions. 1. Using sketches, demonstrate why the addition of HCN to 2-butanone yields a racemic mixture of chiral products. Circle the chiral carbon in each product. 2. Describe spectroscopic or chemical tests to distinguish between the following pairs of compounds: a. 2-pentanone vs 2-pentano
Methanol, Ethanol, & 1-Propanol 1) How would you sketch these three alcohol molecules? 2) What is each of their polarity? 3) What differences might you expect in the comparative solubility of each of them in lipids? WHY??? 4) If you were to add 2 drops of sheep blood to each of these alcohols (about 1/3 of a small te
In the mass spectrum of butylbenzene, the base peak occurs at m/z a. 134 b. 119 c. 105 d. 91 The number of mono-bromination products of p-xylene is a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 Which of the following compounds has the lowest boiling point? a. p-dichlorobenzene b. o-dichlorobenzene c. m-
I need some help with answering these questions: (See attached file for full problem description and structural formulas) 1. Predict whether the molecule would be expected to show aromatic character or not. Explain your answer. 2. What is the hybridization of the nitrogen atom in sulfathiazole? 3. Assuming that the sulfur
What are the structural formulas and names of all possible isomers for Methanol, 1-Propanol, & 1-Pentanol?
What are the possible isomers for Methanol, 1-Propanol, & 1-Pentanol? Are Methanol, 1-Propanol, & 1-Pentanol soluble in water and also in hexane? Why or why not? Why isn't it possible to make a ketone molecule out of a methanol or ethanol molecule? Is it because they have been oxidized?
How would you write the structural formula for trans-3,4-dimethyl-3-hexene?
Is it possible to identify what the hydrocarbon is with just knowing the volume of it (9.61 ml), the mass (7.669 g/ml), density (0.798 g/ml)? Under tensor lamp, in ambient light, and in dark light there was no color noticed. It smelled somewhat like gasoline maybe and was smoky as far as combustion characteristics. Boiling poin
Benzene is a organic solvent with the formula, CB6BHB6B. It boils at 80.1 C and melts at 5.5 C. Benzene's density is 0.88 gm/ml, its heat of vaporization is 20.0 KJoules per mole, its heat of fusion is 10.0 KJoules per mole, its heat capacity is 0.50 KJoules per mole-degree C for liquid benzene, 0.25 KJoules per mole-degree C fo
How many unpaired electrons are in nickel atom? Use electronegativity values to arrange the following bonds in order of increasing polarity. H---F H---CL C---S C---O
Determine how many valence electrons and if it is neutral 1s2, 2s2, 2p3 1s2, 2s2, 2p6 1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6, 4s2, 3d6 AR 4s2, 3d5 Kr 5s2 4d10, 5p5
Some isomeric products were isolated from the free-radical chlorination of (R)-sec-butyl chloride. a) Draw stereochemical structures of the 1,2-, 2,2, and 1,3- dichlorobutanes obtained in this way. Give the proper R/S specification of 1,2 and the 1,3-dichlorobutanes. b) Which of these fractions as isolated will be optically act
A. trans-dichloroethene B. 2,4,4 trimethyl-2-pentene C. 2,4,4 trimethyl-1-pentene
89. A) We often hear the terms organic, natural, and chemical in the media. Organic and natural are usually used to imply that a product is "healthy" and/or "environmentally friendly" while chemical often implies negative implications for health and for the environment. In your opinion, are these implications justified? Us
1. A solution of 0.5g (-)-epinephrine dissolved in 10mL of dilute HCl was placed in a 20-cm polarimeter tube. Its optical rotation in sodium line (light wavelenth) was -5.0 degrees at 25 degrees Celsius. What is the specific rotation of the (-)-epinephrine? 2. Calculate the enantiomeric excess (e.e.), a measure of optical p
1. The compound hexane, CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 has how many tertiary hydrogens? 2. How many monobromination products of pentane might be expected?
Draw the most stable conformation of cis-1, 3-dimethylocylohexane. Explain answer in terms of axial vs. equatorial positions.
2. Consider the molecule cyclohexane, which contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. a) When a sample is burned in oxygen, 4.822 g of CO(2) and 1.650g of H(2)O are obtained. What is its simplest formula? b) Calculate the mass percent of carbon and hydrogen in cyclohexene. c) How many grams of carbon would you obtain fro
Explain why compound A reacts 9000 times faster than compound B at 0 degrees, but the two compounds react at the same rate at 103 degrees.
1. Which of the following molecules has NO net molecular dipole? a. CH3OH b. CH2O c. CH3Cl d. H2C=CH2 2. Which of the following molecules can hydrogen bond to another of the same compound? a. CH3CH2OCH2CH3 b. CH3CH2COOCH3 c. (CH3CH2)2CHOH d. CH3CH2COCH2CH3 3. What term best describes the relationship betwe
Which of the following hydrocarbons is reduced by sodium in liquid ammonia: 1-Pentene, 2-Pentyne, 1,3-Pentadiene, or 1,4-Pentadiene
Define what we mean by an alkyl group? Please answer in full. Thanks for your time.
If gasoline is spilled into a lake, an oil slick floating on the surface forms rapidly. What properties of alkanes are responsible for such oil slicks?
Write a flow sheet to show the logical process in use of silver nitrate and sodium iodide reagent tests to determine whether an unknown alkyl is primary, secondary, or tertiary.
Molar Solubility. Calculate the molar solubility of the following compounds from the Ksp values given. a) ksp=2.1 x 10-16 b) ksp= 2.5 x 10-39 a. Zn(OH)2 b. Fe(OH)3
My chemistry book asks the question: Write the balanced equation for the complete combustion of each of the following compounds: a. ethane, C2 H6 The book has the answer which reads: 2C2h6 + 7O2 I don't understand where the formula for 7 02 b. cyclopropane I understand the formula C3H10 but I do
Expain why dinotrogen, N2, is a very stable molecule, but ethyne, C2H2, is very reactive. Note that both molecules have triple bonds.