Show that you know how to make the compound shown int he attachment by identifying the first step in its synthesis from 1-bromobutane. With which of the following would you treat 1-bromobutane in the first step?
A. trans-dichloroethene B. 2,4,4 trimethyl-2-pentene C. 2,4,4 trimethyl-1-pentene
1. Unbalanced equation SOCL2(1) + H2O(1) --- SO2(g) + HCl(g). How many molecules of H2O can 35.0 grams of thionyl chloride remove? 2. An experiment that led to the formation of the new field of organic chemistry involved the synthesis of urea, CN2H40, by the controlled reaction of ammonia and carbon dioxide: gaseous ammonia +
89. A) We often hear the terms organic, natural, and chemical in the media. Organic and natural are usually used to imply that a product is "healthy" and/or "environmentally friendly" while chemical often implies negative implications for health and for the environment. In your opinion, are these implications justified? Us
Which one of the following is chiral? a. 1,1-Dibromopropane b. 1,2-Dibromopropane c. 1,3-Dibromopropane d. 2,2-Dibromopropane e. 2-Bromo-2-chloropropane
Write the balanced equations for the mono-bromination of each of the following four hydrocarbons: 1. toluene 2. ethylbenzene 3. isopropylbenzene 4. t-butylbenzene
Which one of the following compounds undergoes nitration of its aromatic ring(electrophillic aromatic substitution) at the fastest rate: Benzene, Chlorobenzene, Nitrobenzene, Anisole, or Ethylbenzene?
(See attached file for full problem description) The structure of biphenyl and the numbering scheme used in naming its derivatives are indicated below. What is the major product obtained on dinitration of biphenyl?
1. A solution of 0.5g (-)-epinephrine dissolved in 10mL of dilute HCl was placed in a 20-cm polarimeter tube. Its optical rotation in sodium line (light wavelenth) was -5.0 degrees at 25 degrees Celsius. What is the specific rotation of the (-)-epinephrine? 2. Calculate the enantiomeric excess (e.e.), a measure of optical p
1. The compound hexane, CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 has how many tertiary hydrogens? 2. How many monobromination products of pentane might be expected?
Draw the most stable conformation of cis-1, 3-dimethylocylohexane. Explain answer in terms of axial vs. equatorial positions.
2. Consider the molecule cyclohexane, which contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. a) When a sample is burned in oxygen, 4.822 g of CO(2) and 1.650g of H(2)O are obtained. What is its simplest formula? b) Calculate the mass percent of carbon and hydrogen in cyclohexene. c) How many grams of carbon would you obtain fro
Explain why compound A reacts 9000 times faster than compound B at 0 degrees, but the two compounds react at the same rate at 103 degrees.
1. Which of the following molecules has NO net molecular dipole? a. CH3OH b. CH2O c. CH3Cl d. H2C=CH2 2. Which of the following molecules can hydrogen bond to another of the same compound? a. CH3CH2OCH2CH3 b. CH3CH2COOCH3 c. (CH3CH2)2CHOH d. CH3CH2COCH2CH3 3. What term best describes the relationship betwe
Which of the following hydrocarbons is reduced by sodium in liquid ammonia: 1-Pentene, 2-Pentyne, 1,3-Pentadiene, or 1,4-Pentadiene
What is the carbocation intermediate that is formed during the addition of hydrogen chloride to 1-methylcyclopentene?
Define what we mean by an alkyl group? Please answer in full. Thanks for your time.
If gasoline is spilled into a lake, an oil slick floating on the surface forms rapidly. What properties of alkanes are responsible for such oil slicks?
Write a flow sheet to show the logical process in use of silver nitrate and sodium iodide reagent tests to determine whether an unknown alkyl is primary, secondary, or tertiary.
Molar Solubility. Calculate the molar solubility of the following compounds from the Ksp values given. a) ksp=2.1 x 10-16 b) ksp= 2.5 x 10-39 a. Zn(OH)2 b. Fe(OH)3.
My chemistry book asks the question: Write the balanced equation for the complete combustion of each of the following compounds: a. ethane, C2 H6 The book has the answer which reads: 2C2h6 + 7O2 I don't understand where the formula for 7 02 b. cyclopropane I understand the formula C3H10 but I do
Exlpain why dinotrogen, N2, is a very stable molecule, but ethyne, C2H2, is very reactive. Note that both molecules have triple bonds.
I need help in learning how to draw organic substances. For example- Diethyl ether. As well, what is meant by drawing the isomer of the structural formula?
Prepare styrene (C6H5CH=CH2) by dehydrohalogenation of either 1-bromo-2-phenylethane or 1-bromo-1phenylethane using KOH in ethanol. A) Which halide would be best as starting material to give the better yield of alkene? B) Explain your answer in a.
Describe the principal structural difference between amylose and cellulose and then between glycogen and cellulose.
Hi, I need some assistance with this organic chemistry concept. Could you show me how to draw all the alcohols that have the molecular formula C5H11OH. I also need assistance assigning the names to each compound and explaining if they are primary, secondary, or tertiary alcohols.
CH2OH CHO l l --l--OH --l--OH --l--OH --l--OH l l CHO CH2OH Are these compounds the same, c
Does sucrose (glucose (alpha 1-2) fructose) have an acetal or ketal system? Where?
For 2,3-butanediol, there are 3 isomers; 2 are enantiomers, one is not. Use Fischer projections and draw all three. Identify stereocenters and identify them as enantiomers and the meso compound.
How would I list the following aldehydes in terms of increasing reactivity ClCH2CHO, CH3CHO, Cl3CCHO, and Cl2CHCHO? How would I explain the reasoning behind the answer in simple terms?