Which of the following hydrocarbons is reduced by sodium in liquid ammonia: 1-Pentene, 2-Pentyne, 1,3-Pentadiene, or 1,4-Pentadiene© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 24, 2018, 6:51 pm ad1c9bdddf
Which of the following hydrocarbons is reduced by sodium in liquid ammonia: 1-Pentene, 2-Pentyne, 1,3-Pentadiene, or 1,4-Pentadiene
Writing Equations for Each of the Given Reagents
1. Write an equation for the reaction of 3-methyl-2-pentene with each of the following reagents:
a. hydrogen bromide
b. BH3 followed by H2O2, OH¯
c. hydrogen (Pt catalyst)
d. KMnO4, OH¯
f. H2O, H+
2. What reagent will react by addition to what unsaturated hydrocarbon to form each of the following compounds?
3. Which of the following reagents is an electrophile? Which is a nucleophile?
4. Explain in your own words why the water molecule can act either as an electrophile or as a nucleophile.
5. The acid-catalyzed hydration of 1-ethylcyclopentene gives 1-ethylcyclopentanol. Write every step in the mechanism of this reaction. +
6. Draw the resonance contributors to the carbocation CH3CHCH=CHCH2CH3 does the ion have a symmetric structure? (positive sign over the first CH single bond)
7. Adding one equivalent of sulfuric acid to 2,4-hexadiene gives two products. Give the structures, and write all the steps in a reaction mechanism that explains how each product is formed.
8. Predict the product of this Diels-Alder reaction.
CH2=CHCH=CHCl. + H2C=CHBr
9. Write an equation that clearly shows the structure of the alcohol obtained from the sequential hydroboration and H2O2/OH¯ oxidation of 1-methylcyclohexene.
10. Write equations to show how 2-methyl-1-pentene could be converted to
11. Write equations for the following reactions:
a. 2-pentyne + H2 (1 mol, Lindlar's catalyst)
b. 1-butyne + HBr (2 mol).