A particle of mass m is constrained to move on a circle of radius R. This circle also rotates in space about a fixed point (P) on the circumference of the circle. The rotation of the circle is about an axis of rotation perpendicular to the plane of the circle and tangent to the circle, at point (P); the rotation is at a constant
1. In the Bohr model of the atom, the energy of the electron depends only on one quantum number, n. In the Paschen series of the spectral wavelengths, the electronic transitions always terminate at the n=3 level. a. Calculate the energy of the electron in the n=3 level of hydrogen, in electron volts. b. What is the smallest po
1. How many radioactive decay series exist in nature? a. 3 b. 1 c. 0 d. 2 e. 10 2. Of the following, which is not a magic number of protons? a. 82 b. 20 c. 50 d. 126 e. 8 3. In the nuclear transmutation, (attached formula) , what is the bombarding particle? a. A gamma photon b. An alpha particle c. A be
A 0.250 kg skeet (clay target) is fired at an angle of alpha = 32.6o to the horizon with a speed of v0 = 29.3 m/s, as seen in figure below. When it reaches the maximum height, it is hit from below by a 15 g pellet traveling vertically upward at a speed of v = 186 m/s. The pellet is embedded in the skeet. How much higher did the skeet go up?
A 0.250 kg skeet (clay target) is fired at an angle of alpha = 32.6o to the horizon with a speed of v0 = 29.3 m/s, as seen in figure below. See attached file for full problem description. When it reaches the maximum height, it is hit from below by a 15 g pellet traveling vertically upward at a speed of v = 186 m/s. The pel
An alpha particle (the nucleus of a helium atom) has a mass of 6.64x10-27kg and a charge of +2e. What are the (a)magnitude and (b)direction of the electric field that will balance the gravitational force on the particle? I need to know the step by step setup and answer for this problem given the above information. thank you
A sample of ideal gas is expanded to twice it original volume of 1.00m^3 in a quasi-static process for which P = alpha*V^2, with alpha = 5.00atm/m^6. How much work is done on the expanded gas? I know that work is the integral of - PdV but I can't seem to get the right answer. Can you help?
Derive an expression for the buoyant force on a spherical balloon, submerged in water, as a function of the depth below the surface, the volume of the balloon at the surface, the pressure at the surface, and the density of the water. At what depth is the buoyant force half the surface value? I know that the Buoyant force is
A student throws rocks from the roof of a building. All of the rocks are thrown with the same initial speed v_0 and from the same initial height y_0, but they are thrown with different angles with respect to the horizontal. Derive an expression for theta_1, the angle at which the rock will land if thrown horizontally. Express yo
1. A certain nuclear power plant is capable of producing 1.0 X 10^9 W of electric power. During operation of the reactor, mass is converted to energy. How much mass is converted per hour if the efficiency of the plant is 30%? 2. What must be the speed of an alpha particle that has the same momentum as a neutron traveling with
Please do not place your response in a .pdf format, but Word documents are okay. Thanks! A cylinder with moment of inertia I about its center of mass, mass m, and radius r has a string wrapped around it which is tied to the ceiling. The cylinder's vertical position as a function of time is y(t). At time t=0 the cylinder is
The nucleus of the polonium isotope 214Po (mass 214 u) is radioactive and decays by emitting an alpha particle (a helium nucleus with mass 4 u). Laboratory experiments measure the speed of the alpha particle to be 1.59*10^7 m/s . Assuming the polonium nucleus was initially at rest, what is the recoil velocity of the nucleus that
9 Physics word problems: Magnitude of compass needle, magnet, magnetic field, alpha particle speed, current, coil, galvanometer, resistance
1. A compass needle in a uniform magnetic field of 0.30 T experiences a torque of 0.050 N * m when it points in a direction 45 degrees away from the direction of the field. What is the magnitude of the needle's magnetic moment? 2. A slender, 150-g bar magnet 15.0 cm long has a magnetic moment of 5.30 x 10^6 A * m^2. It is hel
A. An atom of an element with an atomic number of 95 and a mass number of 241 undergoes decay by emission of an alpha particle. What are the atomic number, mass number and name of the product atom? B. An atom of 63Ni undergoes loss of a beta particle. What are the atomic number, mass number and name of the product atom?
1) An atom of an element with an atomic number of 95 and a mass number of 241 undergoes decay by emission of an alpha particle. What are the atomic number, mass number and name of the product atom? 2) An atom of 63Ni undergoes loss of a beta particle. What are the atomic number, mass number and name of the product atom?
A radioactive decay series that begins with 237/93 Np ends with formation of the stable isotope 209/83 Bi. How many alpha particle emissions and how many beta particle emissions are involved in the sequence of radioactive decay?
In a Rutherford scattering experiment, an alpha particle (charge = +2e) heads directly toward a gold nucleus (charge = +79e). The alpha particle has a kinetic energy of 5.0 MeV when very far (r to infinity) from the nucleus. Assuming the gold nucleus to be fixed in space, determine the distance of the closest approach. Use co
Two hydrophobic glass slides measuring 1 cm x 1 cm x 1 mm are floating on water with their sides parallel to each other. Estimate the force of interaction between the solids as a function of their separation distance. Assume that the intrinsic contact angle of the water is 110 degrees. What I mean by the intrinsic contact a
1. The critical temperature of a substance is the a) temperature at which the vapor pressure of liquid is equal to the external pressure b) temperature at which the vapor pressure of the liquid is equal to 760mm Hg. c) temperature at which the solid liquid in vapor phases are in equilibrium d) temperature at which the liqu
A block of mass m = 2.32 kg slides down an alpha = 29.2° incline which is h = 3.56 m high. At the bottom, it strikes a block of mass M = 7.06 kg which is at rest on a horizontal surface (see drawing in attached Word document). If the collision is elastic, and friction can be ignored, determine the velocity of the smaller block
Vector A is 3.00 units in length and points along the positive x-axis. Vector B is 4.00 units in length and points along the negative y-axis. Use the graphical methods to find the magnitude and direction of the following vector: B.) B-A
In the equation 226/88 Ra--> 4/2 He+ ------, the characteristics of the missing particle are: A) charge, 90; nucleons, 230 B) charge, 86; nucleons, 230 C) charge, 90; nucleons, 222 D) charge, 86; nucleons, 222
This is for Jhansi, Utter Pradesh, India OTA ID#103642 ONLY no others please.... Here are all the questions 1.After bungee jumping off a bridge, a person begins to swing as a pendulum, the rope being 77m long. The person's speed is 14m/s as it passes through it lowest point. A). Find the height to which it rises above thi
A steel aircraft carrier is 370m long when moving through the icy North Atlantic at a temperature of 2.0 degrees Celsius. By how much does the carrier lengthen when it is traveling in the warm Mediterranean Sea at a temperature of 21 degrees Celsius?