By some measure, TNB (Trinitrobenzene) is a better explosive than TNT because it has greater brisance (shattering power). TNT, however, is preferred because it is easier to synthesize. Why would TNT be easier tomake? Explain.
I am writing a paper on an article and it shows many different compounds and I want a better understanding of where each originated and what steps were made in their synthesis. I would also like to know how to write a mechanism for this reaction. When (4R,4S)-hydroxy-4-(4'-nitrophenyl)butan-2-one is in methylene chloride at -
I am very confused on a few things regarding chair conformation (mainly in regards to hoe axial vs. equatorial positioning affects the structure). I guess what I am looking for is a general tutorial of how quite a few things work. I have encountered quite a few questions on homework assignments that require knowledge of the f
When bromobenzene is treated with NaNH2 in liquid ammonia and in the presence of cyclopetidiene, the product is: (see attachment for figure). a) What reaction is involved? b) Give the mechanism of the reaction; c) Draw the structure of the intermediate which is formed showing the reactive orbitals. See the attached file.
1. Choose the best reagent or sequence of reagents from the list provided below to carry out the following synthetic transformations. Place the letter of your response to the left of the reaction. ( 9 pts.) a. PBr3 d. SOCl2, pyridine b. HCl(gas), ether e. HBr(gas), ether c. 1. Mg, ether f. 1. Mg, ether 2. D
Explain how the body can oxidize ethanol to carboxylic acid even though the body does not posses chromic acid?
An interesting topic relevant to organic chemistry is the origins of life on Earth, Francis Crick, co-discoverer of the structure of DNA, believes that life couldn't have possibly formed on Earth, and supports the notion of panspermia. What types of limitations and obstacles must any plausible origin of life scenario overcome
Draw the structure/structures for the major organic product/products formed when 1-methylcyclohexene reacts with: a) bromine in carbon tetrachloride b) osmium tetroxide followed by treatment with sodium bisulphite c) ozone followed by treatment with Zn and acetic acid.
1. Provide proper IUPAC names for each of the following compounds or structures for each of the following names of organic compounds as appropriate. (a) (2Z,4Z)-hexadiene (b) (E)-1-chloropropene 2. MATCH each definition to the term it describes. Place the letter corresponding to the term in the blank to the left of
NMR, Ir, MP, and a beilstein test were performed. rx1)(hbr) beilstein test was positive. mp. 125-129 C. rx2)(HI) beilstein test was negative. mp. was 145-148 C. I dont understand what was hapening in this reaction. I need a detailed description of the mechanims.
1. Outline a mechanism for the dehydration of 4-methylcyclohexanol catalyzed by phosphoric acid. 2. What major product is produced by the dehydration of the following alcohols? a. Cyclohexanol b. 1-Methylcyclohexanol c. 2-Methylcyclohexanol d. 2,2-Dimethylcyclohexanol e. 1,2-Cyclohexanediol (Consider keto-
I really need help with these five organic chemistry problems. I am lost on how to begin and how to do them. 1. Propose a mechanism for the entire reaction of 1-pentyne with HBr. Show why Markovnikov's rule should be observed in this addition. 2. Propose a mechanism for the entire reaction of 1-pentyne with HBr in the pres
Complete the reaction including all steps, including any additions reagents/conditions needed and the products formed. 1. CH3CH2CH=CHCH3 KMnO4-> 2. CH3CH2CHOHCHOHCH3 HIO4-> 3. 1-ETHYLCYCLOPENTENE + CL2 -> 4. 1-ETHYLCYCLOPENTENE + HBR -> 5. 1-ETHYLCYCLOPENTENE + Hg(OAc)2/NaBH4 -> 6. 1-ETHYLCYCLOPENTENE +
CHEM 433 Turn your work in on a separate set of paper. Your sheets must be stapled, and if torn from a spiral-bound notebook, must be free of the little paper frills that are present if you just rip it out of the book without using the perforations. 1. Label the hybridization of the non-hydrogen atoms in the following st
What are the names and structures of the principal products in the ring mononitration [ HNO3 --> H2SO4 should be written over arrow) of the following. Then state if nitration occurs faster or slower than benzene itself. A. iodobenzene B. benzotrifluoride C. sec-butylbenzene D. diphenylmethane
Write the structural formula for the compounds cited below. Be sure to include all carbon and hydrogen! (a) Ethylpropyl ether (b) 2 ethyl 2,4,4-trimethylpentanoic acid (c) methyl pentanoate (d) hexachlorobenzene (e) 2,4,6-trichloro-3,5-dimethylphenol (f) Propylamine Esterification is the reaction of a
1.A compound containing 4 carbons and a bromine would be named________? 2. The type of nuclear reaction shown below is _______and the nuclear symbol of the missing material is _____ 14N7 + 4He2 ? + 1H1
1. Which reaction sequence represents the best synthesis of benzoic acid (C6H5COOH)? a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 e. 5 2. What is the product of the following reaction sequence? a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 3. Which one of the following is the strongest acid? a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 e. 5 4. Compare the two
1. For the NEW bottle of hydrogen peroxide, record and calculate the following: (a) Initial burette reading of potassium permanganate used in each titration (mL) and concentration: (b) The volume of potassium permanganate required to titrate each 10.00 mL portion of the new hydrogen peroxide (mL): (record all thr
Please see the attached file for the fully formatted problems. 1. When performing a Friedel-Crafts alkylation reaction, not only does one have the problems of multiple alkylation and rearrangement of the cation, but the presence of strong electron donating groups prevents reaction. Provide an explanation for this. 2. Met
Here are the three questions. I need to know which ones they match up to on the attached. Please explain how you arrived at your answer so I can understand. Thanks. 1 - When compound A undergoes hydrolysis, what is one of the products? 2 - When compound A undergoes hydrolysis, what is ANOTHER of the products? 3 - When compo
A. Provide four different one pot synthesis of see attached B. Design a concise synthesis for the following transformation. Show all reactants, reagents and products for each step. see attached.
1. In the reaction of bromine and water to form a halohydrin the reaction goes through a bromonium ion, Why does water attack the more substituted carbon? 2. In the Wacker oxidation, why does water attack the more substituted carbon of the alkene If the water had attacked the less substituted alkene to form an alehyde, ho
Is there anyone who could help me with my organic and biochemistry class? Can a carboxylic acid can be oxidized to a ketone? What type of molecule is this? (CH3CH2)2C(OCH3)2 The conversion of a ketone to an alcohol is an example of a(n)? How many carbon atoms does one molecule of propionaldehyde contain? The following m
Please see the attached file for the fully formatted problems. 10. A compound C10H13NO (A) has the following 1H NMR spectrum: delta (ppm) Integration Multiplicity 7.4-7.2 4H multiplet 3.2 3H singlet 2.3 3H singlet 1.8 3H singlet Compound A was insoluble in 5% aqueous HCl, but dissolved slowly on heating with aqueous sod
Please see the attached file for the fully formatted problems. 1. A compound A had the formula C10H8, and showed two H NMR peaks (which were both broad multiplets) at 7.70 and 7.86ppm, in the ratio 1:1. When treated with alkaline KMnO4, compound A gave CO2, Water and compound B, which had the formula C8H4O3. Compound B react
Which one of the following correctly depicts the reaction below? (see attached for reaction) Mechanism Rate Law Stereochemistry A)SN1 rate = k[(S)-2-bromobutane] not stereospecific, but more inversion
1. Refer to attached rxn. Write the complete stepwise mechanism for the acid-catalyzed conversion of the enol into its keto form, Compound C. 2. Give major organic products. Show all relevant stereochemistry. 3 and 4. Draw the structure of the aldol self-condensation product for each of the following compounds. If a compou
Please see the attachment for the question.
Please see the attached document for the questions.