We are doing an unknown aldehyde and ketones test. The instruction for the test is below. 1) The melting point you determine for the derivatives you prepare may not match exactly with the reference tables. However, you can be sure that the experimental melting points will always be lower than the reference values. Why? How m
1. Define and describe the properties of Bronsed conjugate acid base pairs and how they relate to the pH scale? 2. Calculate the pH or pOH values for a given ion concentration. 3. Differentiate between strong and weak acids and bases and calculate the ion concentrations for weak acids and bases given an equilibrium constan
How would you accomplish the following syntheses? Give the structures of all reagents and synthetic intermediates. Mechanistic details are NOT required. Organic reagents must not contain more than six C atoms. Please see attached diagram.
A 40.0 mL sample of river water was titrated with 0.0010 M Na2Cr2O7 and required 8.3 mL to reach the end-point.
Could you please explain what formula and step are involved and please provide (example) problem if possible: A 40.0 mL sample of river water was titrated with 0.0010 M Na2Cr2O7 and required 8.3 mL to reach the end-point. What is the chemical oxygen demand, in milligrams of O2 per liter, of the sample?
Please see the attached file. 1. Write the complete stepwise mechanism for the reaction below. Show all intermediate structures and all electron flow arrows. 2. Give the major organic product(s) of each of the following reactions or sequences of reactions. Show all relevant stereochemistry. 3. Classify the following ni
I performed a lab entitled: Acid-catalyzed dehydration of alcohols. I have the file attached in word. My problem is I need to know the reaction equations using structure and names from the attached file. I also have a file from the spectrum of butenes. I need the labeling of the 3 dark peaks of butenes cis and trans. My permang
Please see attached file. Give the major organic product(s) for the following reactions and show all relevant stereochemistry Provide structure(s) for the starting material, reagent, or the major organic product of the following reactions. Show relevant stereochemistry.
I went to tutoring to get help with this question and just wanted to check my answer for the following question. And I also thought a. involved anti-markovnikov's addition. Is that right? I'd appreciate any help. Write the reaction and predict the major organic products(s) for each of the following reactions. Make sure to c
Please note: questions that require the textbook are not included in this response. 1. If 3-bromo-1-propanol is treated with NaOH, a compound of molecular formula C3H6O is formed. Suggest a structure for this product. 2. What product(s) would you expect to form when tetrahydrofuran is treated with excess hydroiodic acid (HI)
Part 1 1. Offer an explanation of why anthracene preferentially forms a Diels-Alder adduct at 9,10 positions. 2. There are four reasonable resonance structures for anthracene. Draw them. 3. A large number of polycyclic benzenoid aromatic hydrocarbons are known. One of these, benz/a/pyrene, is a powerful carcinogen found in to
1. In the preparation of the esters given in this experiment, the reaction product was extracted with 5% sodium bicarbonate solution (NaHCO3) in the isolation step. Why? What gas was evolved during this washing step? Write a balanced equation for the reaction that produced it. 2. Why is a large excess of acetic acid used in
Without stratospheric ozone (O3), harmful solar radiation would cause gene alterations. Ozone forms when O2 breaks and each O atom reacts with another O2 molecule. It is destroyed by reaction with Cl atoms formed when the C-Cl bond in synthetic chemicals breaks. Find the wavelengths of light that can break the C-Cl bond AND the
Why production of certain vapors would be reduced when a mixture of methanoic acid, ethanoic acid and phenol are treated with calcium carbonate.
Assume the following: Methanoic acid, ethanoic acid, and phenol are present in solution. It is assumed that without any chemical adulteration that sufficient heat will cause these organic acids to convert to formaldehyde, methanol, and phenol gas/vapor. The lab objective is to prevent the formation of these organic vapors.
Please see the attached file for the complete problems. 1. Predict the product of the reaction below. Be sure to indicate stereochemistry when appropriate. 2. Provide proper IUPAC names for each compound below. 3. The compound below has been isolated from the safflower plant. Consider its structure to answer the follow
1. The sex attractant of the common housefly is a hydrocarbon with the formula C23H36. On treatment with aqueous basic KMnO4, followed by H3O+, two products are obtained as followed, CH3(CH2)12CO2H and CH3(CH2)7CO2H. Propose structures for the two stereoisomers for the sex attractants. 2. Compound A, C10H18O undergoes reactio
5. Determine the percent yield of your product para red dye. Base your calculation on the amount of 2-naphthol that was weighed out. See the attached document for the data. CHM 339 Title of Laboratory: Preparation and Use of Para Red Dye Purpose: Diazonium salts are formed from the reaction of nitrous acid and a prim
See attached file for full problem description. 1. Give the major organic product(s) for the following reaction or sequences. 2. A multistep synthesis can be used to prepare 3,3-dimethylindanone. From the list provided below, choose the best reagent(s) for each step in the sequence. 3. Each of the following compound
Write the balanced equation, the balanced net ionic equation, and answer the question. 1.) Glacial acetic acid is mixed with liquid methanol (nonaqueous). What type of organic reaction can this be characterized as? 2.) Chlorine gas is bubbled into cold, dilute solution of potassium hydroxide. What element is un
Please help me with this questions. I am having hard time answering these questions. Thanks. 1) Explain carefully, with a drawing, why the protons substituted ortho to an acetyl group normally have a greater chemical shift than the other protons on the ring. 2) Write equations for what happens when aluminum chloride is hy
1. Give structural formulas for the following compounds: a) 2-methyl 3-pentaone b) propyl ethanoate c) 3-hexanol d) 2,2-dimethylbutanol e) triethylamine 2. Draw structural formulas for all the alcohols that have the molecular formula C5H11OH. Name each one and classify them as primary, secondary, or tertiary alcohols. De
The high temperature pulping/digesting of wood generates methanoic, ethanoic, benzoic, and butanoic acids in solution. It is believed that under higher temperatures, these organic acids volatilize to their aldehyde or alcohol equivalents such as methanol, formaldehyde, benzene, butane etc. etc. It has been suggested that carb
1. Draw the structures of salicylic acid and aspirin. Circle and identify the functional groups present in each compound. 3. Sulfuric acid is a catalyst. What does that mean? 5. What safety, environmental and economic considerations would be important to a company manufacturing 1 million pounds of aspirin each year by this
1. Draw the product structure in this experiment: See attached file for full problem description. 2. Draw and explain the detailed mechanism for the Biginelli Reaction performed in this experiment: 3. Nifedipine exerts a potent vasodilatory effect on both coronary and peripheral vasculatures. Compare the structure o
1. Identify four moisture-protected reaction apparatus. I have identified 2 apparatus (Moisture-protected Claisen head with 3 or 5mL conical vial, arranged for syringe addition and magnetic stirring, and Moisture-protected water-jacketed condenser with 3 or 5mL conical vial, arranged for heating and magnet stirring). I may be
We are preparing an a,b-unsaturated ketone via Michael and aldol condensation reactions. The reactants are trans-chalcone and ethyl acetoacetate (in ethanol and NaOH). This creates 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3,5-diphenyl-2-cyclohexenone. What I'm wondering is: Why is it possible to separate the product from sodium hydroxide using a
Organic Chemistry Problems The basicity of aromatic amines depends on the electron donation or electron withdrawing groups attached to the benzene ring, the more the number of electron donating group attached to the ring the more basic the compound will be. Nitration of toluene gives three products. The rearrangement products
1. Draw 6,6-dimethyl-2-cyclohexenone 2. Draw 3-chloro-2-phenylpropanal 3. When 4-hydroxybutanal is treated with methanol in the presence of an acid catalyst, 2-methoxytetrahyrofuran is formed. Show the mechanism for this reaction. 4. Propose syntheses for the following compound using the indicated starting materials. 2-
One of the many approaches to ester synthesis is the SN2 reaction of a carboxylate anion with an unhindered alkyl halide. For instance, the reaction of trans-4-methoxycinnamic acid to ethyl trans-4-methoxycinnamate (refer to attached document for mechanism of reaction). 1. Although the sodium salt of trans-4-methoxycinnamic
How would you write a balanced chemical equation using structural formulas to show how acetic acid reacts weakly with water to transfer a proton and produce a hydronium and an acidic ion? What is the balanced reaction sentence using structural formulas to show how salicylic acid reacts with a 6 M NaOH base to form sodium sali
1. Classify the reaction shown below: CH3CH2CHOHCH3 -------------> CH3CH2COCH3 a. oxidation b. reduction c. acid-base d. none of the above 2. When (R)-2-butanol is treated with TsCl in pyridine, the product formed is... a. a single enantiomer b. a racemic mixture c. a mixture of diastereomers d. a