Draw the product of the reaction of benzene with: reaction between benzene and 2-methylpropene (isobutene) Draw the major product of the following reaction: Reaction of cumene and acetyl chloride in the presence of aluminum chloride. See attached file for full problem description.
1. Identify four moisture-protected reaction apparatus. I have identified 2 apparatus (Moisture-protected Claisen head with 3 or 5mL conical vial, arranged for syringe addition and magnetic stirring, and Moisture-protected water-jacketed condenser with 3 or 5mL conical vial, arranged for heating and magnet stirring). I may be
See attached file for full problem description. Draw the product of this reaction (after aqueous workup). In some cases, the starting material may be recovered unchanged.
Please give the major product expected from each of the reactions and show stereochemistry where appropriate. e. KMnO4, H3O+ g. 1) RCO3H and 2) H+, H2O h. KMnO4 OH-, H2O cold
We are preparing an a,b-unsaturated ketone via Michael and aldol condensation reactions. The reactants are trans-chalcone and ethyl acetoacetate (in ethanol and NaOH). This creates 6-ethoxycarbonyl-3,5-diphenyl-2-cyclohexenone. What I'm wondering is: Why is it possible to separate the product from sodium hydroxide using a
Propose a multi-step synthesis for the compound shown here with a minimum of steps starting from benzene and using any other organic and inorganic reagents. (see attachment for full description)
Explain the observations of reactions in the attachment
Consider the natural Diels-Alder reaction detailed in the attached article. Provide a description of the mechanism.
Williamson ether synthesis is one of the popular methods to make ethers. How will you make ethoxybenzene using this method?
Organic Chemistry Problems The basicity of aromatic amines depends on the electron donation or electron withdrawing groups attached to the benzene ring, the more the number of electron donating group attached to the ring the more basic the compound will be. Nitration of toluene gives three products. The rearrangement products
1. Draw 6,6-dimethyl-2-cyclohexenone 2. Draw 3-chloro-2-phenylpropanal 3. When 4-hydroxybutanal is treated with methanol in the presence of an acid catalyst, 2-methoxytetrahyrofuran is formed. Show the mechanism for this reaction. 4. Propose syntheses for the following compound using the indicated starting materials. 2-
I need some help with these question on imidazole: 5. Imidazole is a weak acid, and thus reacts with strong bases to form the corresponding anion. Show this reaction, and draw resonance structures that account for the stability of conjugate base. 6. Suggest a mechanism for the dehydration involved in the last step in the s
Using this reaction sentence, how would you construct a portion of a Nylon polymer molecule consisting of 3 amine monomers and 2 organic chloride links? O O H H O O || || | |
One of the many approaches to ester synthesis is the SN2 reaction of a carboxylate anion with an unhindered alkyl halide. For instance, the reaction of trans-4-methoxycinnamic acid to ethyl trans-4-methoxycinnamate (refer to attached document for mechanism of reaction). 1. Although the sodium salt of trans-4-methoxycinnamic
How would you write a balanced chemical equation using structural formulas to show how acetic acid reacts weakly with water to transfer a proton and produce a hydronium and an acidic ion? What is the balanced reaction sentence using structural formulas to show how salicylic acid reacts with a 6 M NaOH base to form sodium sali
1. Classify the reaction shown below: CH3CH2CHOHCH3 -------------> CH3CH2COCH3 a. oxidation b. reduction c. acid-base d. none of the above 2. When (R)-2-butanol is treated with TsCl in pyridine, the product formed is... a. a single enantiomer b. a racemic mixture c. a mixture of diastereomers d. a
7. Predict the relative acidities of the two compounds shown below by circling the more acidic compound. Underline the acidic hydrogen. Explain your choice. (See attachment) 8. Synthesize the following compounds using the indicated starting materials. a) Decane from acetylene and any alkyl halide b) See attachment c) 2,2
I have attached two documents: 1. The first document includes the problems that I need to answer. 2. The second document contains some background information and procedures that may be helpful in answering the questions.
20. Discuss what you would observe after elution and visualization of a TLC plate having made the following mistakes in carrying out the analysis. a. The solvent level in the developing jar was higher than the original line on which the samples were spotted. b. Too much sample was applied to the TLC plate. 14. Suggest a
13. What chemical tests might be used to distinguish between pentanal and 2- pentanone; between benzyl alcohol and diphenylmethanol? 17. The haloform reaction using 12 and NaOH is referred to as the "iodoform" test for methyl ketones. The test also gives positive results for compounds containing the -CH(OH)CH3 group. This
It includes mechanism for nitration of 1,4-dichloro benzene and answers questions related to acidity of phenols and rearrangement of keto-enol (pinacol-pinacolone)
1. Write equations to show how nitronium ions might be formed using a mixture of nitric and sulfuric acids. 3. Give a reasonable explanation of why nitration of 1,4-dichloro-benzene yields the mononitro derivative while N,N'-diacetyl-1,4-phenylenediamine forms the dinitro compound. 4. Explain why p-nitrophenol is a stro
A compound, A, c6h8, yields a single organic product, B, upon ozonolysis and absorbs two moles of hydrogen on catalytic hydrogenation to give C. Further reaction of B with chromic acid converts B into carboxylic acid D. Give the structures of A,B,C,and D
A younger student is contemplating taking Advanced Organic Chemistry CHM 338 next year and asks you about the course. To help your friend capture the essential aspects of Hammond Postulate clearly illustrate with appropriately drawn diagrams, mechanism that help clarify your explanation.
What organic product(s) are formed when 1-methylcyclopentanol is heated in the presence of an acid catalyst? Write an equation for the oxidation of 2-propanethiol.
A younger student is contemplating taking Advanced Organic Chemistry CHM 338 next year and asks you about the course. To help your friend capture the essential aspects of Isotope Effects (primary and secondary), clearly illustrate in 200-300 words with appropriately drawn diagrams, mechanism that help clarify your explanation.
When 2-bromopropane reacts with ethoxide ion, two products are formed; one is the product of Sn2 substitution and the other is the product of E2 elimination. What is the the structures of both products and how can you distinguished them using IR spectroscopy?
Complete the following reactions h2so4 C-C-C=C + H2O ---------> ? | C can't figure that one out or this one ___ Fe C__/ __C + Br2 --------> ? ___/ (I think this is called a para dimethyl toulene) or is it called so
Please verify my answers if I am wrong please correct me. Provide me with the correct answer. 5. 1. 2-bromopropane 2. 2-chloropropane 3. 2-propanol 4. 2-propanol 5. 1-Iodo-2-methylcyclopropane 6. 1,2-diblpropane 6. Heating the alcohol shown produces 1, 2 - dimethylcyclohexene. Please verify that I am correct. PLEAS
I have to perform two synthesises of the compounds shown in the attatchment. I have to use the following starting materials as sources of carbon: benzene, acetylene, diidomethane, carbon dioxide, sodium cyanide, and any monofunctional alcohol with three carbons or less. What are some good suggestions as to the methods/routes I s
1.5 The alkene structure that upon ozonolysis-reduction yields CH3COCH3 + CH3CH2CHO is a. CH3CH2CH2CH2CH=CH2 b. (CH3)2 C = C(CH3)2 c. (CH3)2CH2CH=CHCH3 d. (CH3)2C=CHCH2CH3 1.6 The best reagent to use to obtain 2-methyl-1-cyclohexanol from 1-methyl-1-cyclohexene is a. H20 plus dilute acid b. O3 follo