1. Draw 6,6-dimethyl-2-cyclohexenone 2. Draw 3-chloro-2-phenylpropanal 3. When 4-hydroxybutanal is treated with methanol in the presence of an acid catalyst, 2-methoxytetrahyrofuran is formed. Show the mechanism for this reaction. 4. Propose syntheses for the following compound using the indicated starting materials. 2-
I need some help with these question on imidazole: 5. Imidazole is a weak acid, and thus reacts with strong bases to form the corresponding anion. Show this reaction, and draw resonance structures that account for the stability of conjugate base. 6. Suggest a mechanism for the dehydration involved in the last step in the s
One of the many approaches to ester synthesis is the SN2 reaction of a carboxylate anion with an unhindered alkyl halide. For instance, the reaction of trans-4-methoxycinnamic acid to ethyl trans-4-methoxycinnamate (refer to attached document for mechanism of reaction). 1. Although the sodium salt of trans-4-methoxycinnamic
How would you write a balanced chemical equation using structural formulas to show how acetic acid reacts weakly with water to transfer a proton and produce a hydronium and an acidic ion? What is the balanced reaction sentence using structural formulas to show how salicylic acid reacts with a 6 M NaOH base to form sodium sali
1. Classify the reaction shown below: CH3CH2CHOHCH3 -------------> CH3CH2COCH3 a. oxidation b. reduction c. acid-base d. none of the above 2. When (R)-2-butanol is treated with TsCl in pyridine, the product formed is... a. a single enantiomer b. a racemic mixture c. a mixture of diastereomers d. a
7. Predict the relative acidities of the two compounds shown below by circling the more acidic compound. Underline the acidic hydrogen. Explain your choice. (See attachment) 8. Synthesize the following compounds using the indicated starting materials. a) Decane from acetylene and any alkyl halide b) See attachment c) 2,2
I have attached two documents: 1. The first document includes the problems that I need to answer. 2. The second document contains some background information and procedures that may be helpful in answering the questions.
20. Discuss what you would observe after elution and visualization of a TLC plate having made the following mistakes in carrying out the analysis. a. The solvent level in the developing jar was higher than the original line on which the samples were spotted. b. Too much sample was applied to the TLC plate. 14. Suggest a
13. What chemical tests might be used to distinguish between pentanal and 2- pentanone; between benzyl alcohol and diphenylmethanol? 17. The haloform reaction using 12 and NaOH is referred to as the "iodoform" test for methyl ketones. The test also gives positive results for compounds containing the -CH(OH)CH3 group. This
It includes mechanism for nitration of 1,4-dichloro benzene and answers questions related to acidity of phenols and rearrangement of keto-enol (pinacol-pinacolone)
1. Write equations to show how nitronium ions might be formed using a mixture of nitric and sulfuric acids. 3. Give a reasonable explanation of why nitration of 1,4-dichloro-benzene yields the mononitro derivative while N,N'-diacetyl-1,4-phenylenediamine forms the dinitro compound. 4. Explain why p-nitrophenol is a stro
A compound, A, c6h8, yields a single organic product, B, upon ozonolysis and absorbs two moles of hydrogen on catalytic hydrogenation to give C. Further reaction of B with chromic acid converts B into carboxylic acid D. Give the structures of A,B,C,and D
A younger student is contemplating taking Advanced Organic Chemistry CHM 338 next year and asks you about the course. To help your friend capture the essential aspects of Hammond Postulate clearly illustrate with appropriately drawn diagrams, mechanism that help clarify your explanation.
What organic product(s) are formed when 1-methylcyclopentanol is heated in the presence of an acid catalyst? Write an equation for the oxidation of 2-propanethiol.
A younger student is contemplating taking Advanced Organic Chemistry CHM 338 next year and asks you about the course. To help your friend capture the essential aspects of Isotope Effects (primary and secondary), clearly illustrate in 200-300 words with appropriately drawn diagrams, mechanism that help clarify your explanation.
When 2-bromopropane reacts with ethoxide ion, two products are formed; one is the product of Sn2 substitution and the other is the product of E2 elimination. What is the the structures of both products and how can you distinguished them using IR spectroscopy?
Complete the following reactions h2so4 C-C-C=C + H2O ---------> ? | C can't figure that one out or this one ___ Fe C__/ __C + Br2 --------> ? ___/ (I think this is called a para dimethyl toulene) or is it called so
Please verify my answers if I am wrong please correct me. Provide me with the correct answer. 5. 1. 2-bromopropane 2. 2-chloropropane 3. 2-propanol 4. 2-propanol 5. 1-Iodo-2-methylcyclopropane 6. 1,2-diblpropane 6. Heating the alcohol shown produces 1, 2 - dimethylcyclohexene. Please verify that I am correct. PLEAS
I have to perform two synthesises of the compounds shown in the attatchment. I have to use the following starting materials as sources of carbon: benzene, acetylene, diidomethane, carbon dioxide, sodium cyanide, and any monofunctional alcohol with three carbons or less. What are some good suggestions as to the methods/routes I s
1.5 The alkene structure that upon ozonolysis-reduction yields CH3COCH3 + CH3CH2CHO is a. CH3CH2CH2CH2CH=CH2 b. (CH3)2 C = C(CH3)2 c. (CH3)2CH2CH=CHCH3 d. (CH3)2C=CHCH2CH3 1.6 The best reagent to use to obtain 2-methyl-1-cyclohexanol from 1-methyl-1-cyclohexene is a. H20 plus dilute acid b. O3 follo
1. Which of the following intermediates is believed to occur in the mechanism by which alkenes are hydrated in the presence of acid? a. carbocation b. free radical c. carbanion d. carbene 2. HBr can be added to an alkene in the presence of peroxides (ROOR). What function does the peroxide serve in this react
A compound with the formula C11H20 is found to decolorize bromine in carbon tetrachloride... See attached file for full problem description.
Please help me understand: When 2-butene reacts with hydrogen chloride gas, only one product is detected, whereas when 1-butene reacts similarly, two products are usually found. Explain this.
1. In the preparation of the esters given in this experiment, the reaction product was extracted with 5% sodium bicarbonate solution (NaHCO3) in the isolation step. Why? What gas was evolved during this washing step? Write a balanced equation for the reaction that produced it. 2. Why is a large excess of acetic acid used in t
8. Which of the following compounds would rotate a plane of polarized light? (See attachment) 9. What is the major product for the reaction shown? (See attachment) 10. Which reaction is most likely to occur by way of carbocation intermediate? (See attachment)
8. A compound with a formula C11H20 is found to decolorize bromine in carbon tetrachloride. Following treatment of one mole with ozone and dimethylsulfide, the following products were obtained. See attached What is the structure of the compound? Explain your reasoning.
Give the structures of the major products corresponding to each number see attached Hearing the alcohol shown below with aqueous acid gives the alkene shown Give a detailed mechanism to account for this product formation
Consider the Reaction If the concentration is tripled, the reaction rate triples. If the concentration of CH3CH2OH is doubles, the rate stays the same. Write a rate expression for this reaction and show the mechanism to explain this information. Include a discussion of reaction intermediate stability. Predict the E2 produ
When isobutylene (CH3 - C=CH2) is treated with acid, two products result: 2, 4, 4-trimethyl-2-pentene and 2,4,4-trimethyl-1-pentene. Draw the products and show a mechanism to account for them.
Design a synthesis for the following product. Use the starting materials that are indicated and any other reagents that you might need. a. 2-propanol (CH3CHOHCH3) from propane 1. Calculate the degree of unsaturation in C4H6 and draw at least 4 isomers with this formula. 2. Explain why dichloroethene has a boiling point of
4. For each pair of compounds below, indicate the more reactive in the type of mechanism specified. Briefly state why. a. S(superscript)B2 (superscript): (CH3)3CCH2Br vs CH3CH2CHBrCH2CH3 b. El: CH3CHICH3 vs. CH3CHCLCH3 c. S(superscript)B1 (superscript): tert-butychloride solvolysis in 70% water - 30% acetone vs in 50 % wat