When 2-bromopropane reacts with ethoxide ion, two products are formed; one is the product of Sn2 substitution and the other is the product of E2 elimination. What is the the structures of both products and how can you distinguished them using IR spectroscopy?
Complete the following reactions h2so4 C-C-C=C + H2O ---------> ? | C can't figure that one out or this one ___ Fe C__/ __C + Br2 --------> ? ___/ (I think this is called a para dimethyl toulene) or is it called so
Please verify my answers if I am wrong please correct me. Provide me with the correct answer. 5. 1. 2-bromopropane 2. 2-chloropropane 3. 2-propanol 4. 2-propanol 5. 1-Iodo-2-methylcyclopropane 6. 1,2-diblpropane 6. Heating the alcohol shown produces 1, 2 - dimethylcyclohexene. Please verify that I am correct. PLEAS
I have to perform two synthesises of the compounds shown in the attatchment. I have to use the following starting materials as sources of carbon: benzene, acetylene, diidomethane, carbon dioxide, sodium cyanide, and any monofunctional alcohol with three carbons or less. What are some good suggestions as to the methods/routes I s
1.5 The alkene structure that upon ozonolysis-reduction yields CH3COCH3 + CH3CH2CHO is a. CH3CH2CH2CH2CH=CH2 b. (CH3)2 C = C(CH3)2 c. (CH3)2CH2CH=CHCH3 d. (CH3)2C=CHCH2CH3 1.6 The best reagent to use to obtain 2-methyl-1-cyclohexanol from 1-methyl-1-cyclohexene is a. H20 plus dilute acid b. O3 follo
1. Which of the following intermediates is believed to occur in the mechanism by which alkenes are hydrated in the presence of acid? a. carbocation b. free radical c. carbanion d. carbene 2. HBr can be added to an alkene in the presence of peroxides (ROOR). What function does the peroxide serve in this react
A compound with the formula C11H20 is found to decolorize bromine in carbon tetrachloride... See attached file for full problem description.
Please help me understand: When 2-butene reacts with hydrogen chloride gas, only one product is detected, whereas when 1-butene reacts similarly, two products are usually found. Explain this.
1. In the preparation of the esters given in this experiment, the reaction product was extracted with 5% sodium bicarbonate solution (NaHCO3) in the isolation step. Why? What gas was evolved during this washing step? Write a balanced equation for the reaction that produced it. 2. Why is a large excess of acetic acid used in t
8. Which of the following compounds would rotate a plane of polarized light? (See attachment) 9. What is the major product for the reaction shown? (See attachment) 10. Which reaction is most likely to occur by way of carbocation intermediate? (See attachment)
8. A compound with a formula C11H20 is found to decolorize bromine in carbon tetrachloride. Following treatment of one mole with ozone and dimethylsulfide, the following products were obtained. See attached What is the structure of the compound? Explain your reasoning.
Give the structures of the major products corresponding to each number see attached Hearing the alcohol shown below with aqueous acid gives the alkene shown Give a detailed mechanism to account for this product formation
Consider the Reaction If the concentration is tripled, the reaction rate triples. If the concentration of CH3CH2OH is doubles, the rate stays the same. Write a rate expression for this reaction and show the mechanism to explain this information. Include a discussion of reaction intermediate stability. Predict the E2 produ
When isobutylene (CH3 - C=CH2) is treated with acid, two products result: 2, 4, 4-trimethyl-2-pentene and 2,4,4-trimethyl-1-pentene. Draw the products and show a mechanism to account for them.
Design a synthesis for the following product. Use the starting materials that are indicated and any other reagents that you might need. a. 2-propanol (CH3CHOHCH3) from propane 1. Calculate the degree of unsaturation in C4H6 and draw at least 4 isomers with this formula. 2. Explain why dichloroethene has a boiling point of
4. For each pair of compounds below, indicate the more reactive in the type of mechanism specified. Briefly state why. a. S(superscript)B2 (superscript): (CH3)3CCH2Br vs CH3CH2CHBrCH2CH3 b. El: CH3CHICH3 vs. CH3CHCLCH3 c. S(superscript)B1 (superscript): tert-butychloride solvolysis in 70% water - 30% acetone vs in 50 % wat
4. Use the bond dissociation energies (kcal/mole) listed below to predict which of the following statements 1 or 2) would be expected to yield the most product. Be sure to show your work. R-H (98) R-C (81) RI (53) Cl-Cl (58) I-I (36) H-Cl (103) H-I (71) 1) RH (g) + Cl 2 (g) - > RCL(g) + HCL (g) 2) RH (g) + I2 (g) -> R
1. Write a detailed, stepwise mechanism to account for the following reaction. Be sure to include ALL the components of the mechanism. hr CH3CH2CH3 + BR2 -> CH3CHBrCH3 + HBr 2. When 2, 2-dimethylbutane is subjected to free radical chlorination, the relative reactivity of the types of hy
The attached document gives the procedure and results for a hypothetical experiment. Four questions follow the information provided. Please answer those four questions. (See attached file for full problem description) --- A certain experimental procedure is as follows: 1. You react an unknown alcohol with acetic anhyd
Why is cyclopentadiene monomer more stable at higher temperatures although dicyclopentadiene (dimer) is more stable at lower temperatures? Also, given that cyclopentadiene monomer is more stable at higher temps, why is it necessary to keep monomer cold in order to prevent its conversion back to dimer?
A high-boiling bp = 202 - 204 degrees C, burns with a yellow, sooty flame. Sodium fusion indicates that halogens, nitrogen and sulfur are not present. It is not soluble in water, dilute sodium bicarbonate solution, or dilute hydrochloric acid. However, it proved to be soluble in 5% aqueous sodium hydroxide solution. The compound
Please help solve the following. If no reaction occurs, write NR. (See attachment for full question)
Suggest a synthesis for each of the four compounds (view attachment) utilizing Claisen condensation. Any necessary organic or inorganic reagents may be used.
Benzene is an organic solvent with the formula C6H6. It boils at 80.1 degrees celcius and melts at 5.5 degrees Celsius. Benzene's density is 0.88gm/ml; its heat of vaporization is 30.0 Kjoules per mole; its heat of fusion is 7500 Joules per mole; and its heat capicity is 120 Joules per mole degree C for liquid benzene, 75 Joules
For the formation of the following esters, supply the missing reactant a) o c = - c-c-c-c-o-c-c-c - c (O is double bonded to C) b) O = c-c-c-c-c yields (with H2/Pt) ?? (Double bond O) c) O = c-c-c-o-c-c-c yields (with H+/H2O) ?? (double bond O) d) O
A sample of ammonia has a mass of 56.6g. How many molecules are in this sample? Please see attached.
Question 1 OH is a common ingredient in all... a) alcohols b) benzene rings c) amines d) organic molecules Question 2 One mol of chromium weighs 24 grams, true or false? Question 3 Cesium and oxygen combine to form a stable molecule. The chemical formula is a) CsO b) CsO3 c) Cs2O d) Cs3O2
A) Write a detailed mechanism for the reaction of piperidine with 2,4-dinitrochlorbenzene. b) A "spiro" species has two rings that have one carbon atom in common. Outline a synthesis of the spiro Meisenheimer complex shown in the attachment, starting with 1-chloro-2,4,6-trinitrobenzene.
1. In a lab experiment, we added 2 ml of ceric ammonim nitrate reagent to a test tube. Then, we added 2 drops of Salicylic acid (2.hydroxbenzoic acid). We came up with a sort of dark brown or deep rusty color. This was a positve result. The questions are: why did salicylic acid give a positive ceric ammonium nitrate test? Wh
Propene reacts with hydrobromic acid to yield 2-bromopropane via Markovnikov addition about the double bond of the alkene. The organic halide then reacts with 2-propanone(acetone), Mg metal and hydrochloric acid via Grignard reaction to yield 2,3-dimethyl-2-butanol. Write the chemical equations for these reactions using line d