Skill Level I: You are an American exchange student planning to study in Florence, Italy, during the winter term. In preparation for your trip, you consult the Italian school's Web site to find out what the temperature is likely to be. However, the daily weather is given in the Celsius scale. Use the table to find a way to co
1. You take a glass coffee mug from the dishwasher following the dry cycle. You fill the mug with cold water from the refrigerator. To determine the final temperature of the cup, and of the water in it? (Mass of mug & water and their initial temperatures given) 2. A spacecraft power system generates electricity by absorbing heat from a nuclear reactor operating at 1000 C and expelling heat from a radiator operating at 300 C. What is the theoretical maximum efficiency of the system?
1. You take a 50 g glass coffee mug from the dishwasher following the dry cycle. You use a dishcloth because the temperature of the mug is 90 deg C. You fill the mug with 250 g of cold water from the refrigerator. The temperature of the water is 5 deg C. Assuming that no heat is lost to either the air, the kitchen counte
Describe the thermometer you would use for measuring the temperature of each of the objects listed below, indicating the thermometers' approximate accuracy: a) A domestic oven; b) A sick child; c) A cryostat at about 4K; d) The sun.
Suppose that by some artificial mean it is possible to put more electrons in the higher energy state than in the lower energy state of a two level system (this sort of situation occurs in a laser, for example). Now it is clear that this cannot be an equilibrium situation, but nevertheless, for the time that the system is in the
A hypothetical system contains 16 particles which can occupy nondegenerate equally space energy levels of spacing e. The system is set up so that it has a total energy of 18e, and it is the most probable macrostate, which is shown below: (see the attached file for the chart) (i) How many microstates are there in this mac
A carbon wire and a nichrome wire are connected one after the other. If the combination has total resistance of 11.0 k ohms at 20° C, what is the resistance of each wire at 20° C so that the resistance of the combination does not change with temperature? It seems as though resistivity may need to be considered in order fo
What are the differences between (a) Pasteurization, (b) Commercial sterilization, and (c) Ultrahigh temperature processing (UHT). The discussion should be based on the processing method involved and preservation principles behind each method. In addition, what will be the shelf-life expectancy for food products treated by each
3. A Styrofoam box has a surface area of 0.80m2 and a wall thickness of 2.0cm. The temperature of the inner surface is 5.0°C and the outside temperature is 25°C. If it takes 8.0h for 5.0kg of ice to melt in the container, determine the thermal conductivity of the foam. (Assume that the temperature of the ice is 0°C)
1)The average thermal conductivity of the walls and roof of a house is 4.8 x 10"4 kW m"1°C~1 and their average thickness is 21.0 cm. The house is heated with natural gas,with a heat of combustion (energy released per cubic metre of gas burned) of 9300 kcal.m"3. How many cubic metres of gas must be burned each day to maintain a
Please assist in understanding these problems: 1a) If the temperature on the surface over land is 310 K, and the temperature at 0.5 km is 305 K, what is the ambient atmospheric lapse rate? If a parcel of air starts to rise at the dry adiabatic lapse rate, what would be the temperature of the parcel at 0.5 km? Is this ambient
Your company was very impressed with your results from the recent study. They have asked that you investigate another location for them and present this new promising location at the upcoming sales meeting. Again, it is your job to check out the various areas and the friendliness for business. One of the factors of interest is t
When the hot water in a certain upstairs bathroom is turned on, a series of 18 "ticks" is heard as the copper hot-water pipe slowly heats up and increases in length. The pipe runs vertically from the hot-water heater in the basement, through a hole in the floor 5.0 m above the water heater. The "tick" are caused by the pipe stic
At a height of 5 meters above the surface of a freshwater lake, a sound pulse is generated. The echo from the bottom of the lake returns to the point of origin 0.140 s later. The air and water temperatures are 20°C. How deep is the lake?
A.) At the start of a trip, a driver adjusts the absolute pressure in her tires to be 2.79 105 Pa when the outdoor temperature is 284 K. At the end of the trip she measures the pressure to be 3.02 105 Pa. Ignoring the expansion of the tires, find the air temperature inside the tires at the end of the trip. B.) Oxygen for h
Sound traveling in air at 23 degrees Celsius enters a cold front where the air temperature is 2 degrees Celsius. If the sound frequency is 1500 Hz., what is the wavelength in the warmer air and in the colder air?
In the real world, what might be a situation where it is preferable for the data to form a relation but not a function?
In the real world, what might be a situation where it is preferable for the data to form a relation but not a function? There is a formula that converts temperature in degrees Celsius to temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. You are given the following data points: Fahrenheit Celsius Freezing point of water 32 0 Boil
When we add 50.0 mL of 0.250 M HCl to 50.0 mL of 0.250 M NaOH, the temperature increases by 1.71 degrees C and 715 J of heat is evolved by the reaction. Which of the following will be true when we add 100.0 mL of 0.125 M HCl to 100.0 mL of 0.125 M NaOH? A. The temperature change will be 1.71 C and the heat evolved will be 71
The resistance of a platinum resistance thermometer is 125 ohms when its temperature is 20.0 degrees Celsius. The wire is then immersed in boiling chlorine, and the resistance drops to 99.6 ohms. The temperature coefficient of resistivity of platinum is 3.72 x 10^-3 (Celsius^-1). What is the temperature of the boiling chlorine?
1. For the reaction N2 + O2 → 2NO, Kc = 4.08 x 10-4 at 2000K. What is Kc at this same temperature for the reaction, NO → 1/2 O2 + 1/2 N2 2. What is the total pressure of the gases above the carbon for the reaction C + CO2 → 2CO when the pressure of CO is ten times the pressure of CO2? The equilibrium c
PURPOSE This experiment was designed to understand the absorption of heat. Equipment Setup 1 glass container 4 sheets of acetate paper Thermometer 100 W light bulb Graph paper Wrap one sheet of acetate paper around a clear glass container. Place a thermometer in the glass containers and bring the 100 W light bulb (no
Calculating formaldehyde losses (emissions) to atmosphere from a heated and open container of water?
Assume that you have a 1000L container of water open to atmosphere; the water is at an average year round temperature of 175 degrees F; the average ambient air temperature is 60 degrees F; and assume the static concentration of formaldehyde in the water is 100 mg/L. How would I calculate the potential loss of formaldehyde to
Why does food generally bake faster when a piece of metal has been inserted into it?
1. There is a temperature for which the numerical values of degrees Fahrenheit and degrees Celsius are equal. Enter that numerical value here 2. Let F denote a certain temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, and C the same temperature in degrees Celsius. Then you can convert between F and F = 32 + 9/5 C. Suppose the temperature
For a given temperature convert it to Degree Celsius or Fahrenheit. User enters the temperature and Type.
It is desired to make a 1,000 Ohm resistor that does not change over temperature. The resistor is made of a certain length of nichrome wire and a certain length of carbon. Assume a cross section diameter is 1 millimeter for both. Determine the length of the nichrome section in meters.
3. Probable energy states for molecules at room temperature (a) Suppose we have an system that has the following allowed electronic energy states: 0.2 eV, 2.0 eV, 3.0 eV, 10eV. What is the probability of the system to be at each of these energy states at 350K, 1000K? (b) Suppose we have a system that has the following allo
Problem: Which would require more heat, melting 500 g of 00C ice or turning 500 g of 1000C water into steam? Problem: A 500g sample of an unknown material requires 750 calories of heat to raise its temperature by 500C. Use equation to solve the problem.
1. Consider an economy with two people, Henry and Catherine, who consume two commodities, bread and water. Suppose that, due to a drought, the authorities decide to allocate exactly half the available water to each person. In order to prevent one person from "exploiting" the other, neither person may trade away any water to t
A monatomic ideal gas(y=1.67) is contained within a box whose volume is 2.5 m^3. The pressure of the gas is 3.5 x 10^5 Pa. The total mass of the gas is 2.3 kg. What is the speed of sound in the gas?
The distance between a loudspeaker and the left ear of a listener is 2.70 m. a.) How long would it take for sound to travel this distance if the air temperature is 20 degrees C. b.) Assuming that the sound frequency is 523 Hz, how many wavelengths of sound are contained in this distance?