3. How is the ideal gas law modified to account for the finite volume of molecules? 4. The temperature of the sea bed 60 m below the surface and at the surface are both 20C. A rubber balloon is inflated at the sea bed with 2.0 mole gas neglecting the works done on the rubber determine: i)the volume of the balloon at the se
1.a) state the assumption associated with the model used to develop the Ideal Gas Law b) hence or otherwise describe under which physical conditions does the ideal gas law applies 2. Explain why hydrogen which has one electron in its lowest state, should in principle be a metallic conductor in its solid state whereas heli
A gas has a diffusion coefficient of 3*10^-5m^2s^-1. Use this information to compare how long it will take to obtain molecular scale mixing of such a gas over the following distances: i) 1*10^-4 m and ii) 10m.
6. A gas operates under isothermal conditions. The initial volume of gas in the pump is 22.4 liters, the pressure is one atmosphere and temperature is 273 deg K. if 0.6 mole of gas is released and the volume remains unchanged calculate the new pressure. 7. calculate the minimum energy a photon must have to produce an electr
13. What is the pH of a solution prepared by mixing 50.00mL of 0.10 M NH3 with 25.00mL of 0.10 M NH4Cl? Assume that the volume of the solutions are additive and that Kb= 1.8 x 10 -5 for NH3. 14. What is the pH of a solution made by mixing 30.00mL of 0.10M acetic acid with 30.00mL of 0.10 M KOH? Assume that the volumes of the
At standard conditions indicate whether each of the following is true. Explain for each A. Pb(s) can reduce NI2+ b. Hg2 2+( aq) can reduce Cu2+ n(aq) c. H+ (g) can oxidize Sn(s)
How many moles are in each of the following? a. 33 g of acetylferrocene b. 10 mL of acetone c. 5 mL of water (the molecular weight of water is 18) d. 25 mL of hydrochloric acid (conc.)
Please help with the following problem. Buffer solutions have the unique ability to resist changes in PH when an acid or base is added to them. One important buffer system that helps to maintain blood pH at a constant value of 7.4 is the hydrogen phosphate buffer. The chemical equation for this for this buffer system is: H2P
For these reactions I need mechanisms like "with curly arrows" like I-I bonds breaking and what happens next: 1. Sn + 2I2 -> SnI4 (Ac2O,AcOH, reflux) 2. SnI4 + 2PPh3 -> (PPh3)2SnI4 (CHCl3) 3. SnI4 + (Me2SO)2 -> SnI4(Me2SO)2 (CH2Cl2)
Diffussion controlled electrolysis proceeds on (a) planar and (b) spherical electrode under the conditions: n = 1, C = 1 mM, A= 0.04 cm^2, D = 1.5x10^-5 cm^2/s. Calculate the current (i) in both cases at t = 0.5, 1, 3, 10 sec. How long can the electrolysis proceeed before the current at the spherical electrode exceeds that
The symmetry factor Beta was determined to be 0.4 for an activation controlled Ag deposition process. At overpotential n = -0.400 V the current density was found to be j = -5.125 A/dm^2. What is the value of the exchange current density jo, and what will be the current density j [A/dm^2] at an overpotential of -0.003 V?
1. Draw the Lewis structure for OF2 (small 2 at bottom) What are its electron-pair and molecular geometries? decribe the bonding in the molecule in terms of hybrid orbitals. 2. Draw the Lewis structure for C1F 2 + (small s at bottom and small + at top) What are its electron-pair and molecular geometries? decribe the bonding i
Write a balanced redox equation for the reaction S2O3^2-9aq)+Cl2(g) -> SO4^2- (aq) + Cl^- (aq) in both acidic and basic medium.
What will be the exact potential difference in the following concentration cells? a) Ag/Ag+ (0.1 M) // (0.01 M) Ag+/Ag b) Ag/Ag+ (0.000001 M) // (0.00001 M) Ag+/Ag Show step by step please
A lab experiment dealing with the properties of a coffee cup calorimeter was completed. One of the procedures involved measuring the temperature of 50mL water placed in a calorimeter for 3 minutes, and then adding NaOH(s) pellets and measuring the temperature for 4 more minutes. I have several temperature measurements, but I am
Writing an equation for electrode reactions when considering electrode/water-based solution interface
Consider the electrode/water-based solution interface Pt/Ag+ (0.01M), Cd^2+ (0.01M), HClO4 (1M) . Write the equation (s) for the electrode reaction(s) that occur at applied potentials of: 1.4 V, 0.6 V, 0.2 V, and -0.5 V (NHE)
A meteorological balloon of radius 1.0M at sea level and 20 degrees C. At it's maximum altitude the radius of the balloon is 3.0M and the temperature is -20 degrees C. Calculate the pressure inside the balloon.
Ian eats too many mars bars. To try to get rid of the excess kJ's he exercises in the gym by using a weights machine which works by compressing a cylinder of gas. If a standard mars bar is approximately 1000kJ. Calculate the number of times Ian has to push the piston in the cylinder up and down to 'burn off' a mars bar. Assume
I have worked this problem many different ways and cannot seem to set it up correctly. Na2CO3 + 2HCl => 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O I have 36.53g of sodium carbonate reacting with 32.94g of hydrchloric acid. I am trying to find how many mL of water are produced from this reaction.
1. a) A copper refining cell is operating with an electrolyte which contains 0.05 m Sn2+. At what concentration of Cu2+ will the tin start to plate out in preference to the copper? The cell temperature is 40°C. b) A polarization potential arises from a concentration difference between ions in the neighborhood of the el
A gas was found to have a densitiy of .08747 mg/ml at 17.0 degree C and a pressure of 76o torr. What is its molecular mass? What type of gas most likely is this?
A certain laser uses a gas mixture made up of 9.00 g HCL, 2.00 g H2, and 165.0 g Ne. What pressure is exerted by the mixture in a 75.0 L tank at 22 degree C? Which gas has the smallest partial pressure?
A 100 ml sample of .10 molar NAOH solution was added to 100 ml of .10 molar H3C6H5O7. After equilibrium was established, which of the ions listed below was present in the greatest concentration? A) H2C6H5O7^- B) HC6H5O7^2- C) C6H5O7^3- D) OH E) H^+ Please provide thorough explanation for this question.
1. Step 1: Cl2 ------ 2Cl (fast) Step 2: CHCl3 + Cl -------- CCl3 + HCl (slow) Step 3: CCl3 + Cl ------------CCl4 (fast) Identify the rate determining step, reaction intermediates and the experimental rate law (intermediates can not be in the rate law) 2. For the half-reaction XeF2(aq) +
The numerical value of the rate constant for the gaseous reaction 2N2O5------- 4NO2+ O2 was found to be 5.8*10-4. The initial concetration of N205 was 1.00mol/L. Assuming all measurements are recorded in seconds, determine the tim required for the reation to be 60% complete if the reaction is second order
1. 5.30 moles of gas, initially at 25 degrees celcius and 5.00 atm pressure, was allowed to expand adiabatically( with no heat exchange between systen and surroundings) against a constant external pressure of 1.50 atm until the initial volume had trebled. The heat capacity of the gas was known to be 37.1 J/ degree celuius mol
Estimate the critical constants of a gas with van der Waals parameters a= 1.32 atm L^2/mol^2 b = 0.0436 L/mol
Derive expression and numerical value for compression factor of gas that obeys the equation of state.
Derive an expression for the compression factor of a gas that obeys the equation of state P(V - nb) = nRT where b and R are constants. If the pressure and temperature are such that Vm = 10b, what is the numerical value of the compression factor? Extra Info. As a measure of the deviation from ideality of the behavi
The two figures show Cp VS T for various transitions. I need to know what the graph would look like for: 1. u (internal energy) vs T 2. S (Entropy) vs T 3. and V vs T for a first order (discontinuous) transition. Extra Info: FOr the equilibrium phase transitions at constant T and P (temperature and pressure) t
An ammonium ion selective electrode responds to both NH4+ and H+, but not to NH3. (pKa=9.244 for NH4+) A) What pH conditions must be imposed to ensure the electode properly represents toe activity of NH4+ B) Why is the ionic strength an important factor when using this or any ISE? How can you compensate for this effect?