Please see attached...I chose c The two structures shown are: a. constitutional isomers b. enantiomers c. different resonance forms of the same species. d. difference conformations of the same species. e. 5. diastereomers
Choose the starting reagents: benzyl chloride and a solvent (water). Note the color of the solution. Return to the lab and place the flask on the stir plate. No other set up is required. You will monitor the reaction on the pull down TV and with TLC. Run a TLC sample before you start the reaction. Some reactants may not s
I need some help with these three questions on organic chemistry bonding: 13. Why it is important that any aldehyde used in Witting reaction be free of carboxylic acid impurities? 14. Explain why the C=C stretching mode gives rise to a rather weak IR band in 1-methylcyclohexane, while in its isomer, methylenecyclohexene,
A hydrocarbon was found to have a molecular weight of 80-85. A 10.02 mg sample took up 8.40 mL of H2 gas at 0 degrees C and 760 mm pressure. Ozonolysis yielded only two compounds shown in the attached .jpg. What is the structure of the hydrocarbon? See attached file for full problem description.
1. a. Calculate the degree of unsaturation in C4H6. b. Draw at least 4 iosmers with this formula (C4H6). 2. a. Explain why cis dichloroethene has a boiling point of 60 degrees C while trans - dichloroethen has a boiling point of 48 degrees C. b. Include drawings of the structures with dipoles in your answer.
I need to paraphrase this "As a bromine molecule approaches perpendicular to the negatively charged pi cloud of the carbon-carbon double bond, its bonding electrons are repelled away from the bromine atom nearer the double bond, leaving it with a partial positive charge. As the positively charged bromine penetrates the pi cloud,
Explain the fact that even though dibenzoylmethane (C6H5COCH2COC6H5) is not a methyl ketone, it gives a positive iodoform test when treated with the NaOH and I2.
Here is my question. I am working through this and some other problems, and want to compare what I do against what someone who knows a lot more than me on this subject, does. Please don't do this problem if you are 1. Planning on copying and pasting something from a website (yes, I've had people do that to me here) that
Explain why the bond dissociation energy for the C-C sigma bond in propane is lower than the BDE for the C-C bond in propene.
In an experiment you combine 4-methyl-2-pentene and water, in the lab you setup the experiment using a a heater, condenser and N2 gas and add the reagent H2SO4, the product formed is 2-methyl-2-pentanol. Which of the following terms would be used in a description of the mechanism of this reaction? - Tertiary carbanion - 2-me
In one experiment you combine 1-hexene which is reacted with H2SO4 with water as the solvent and the compound produced is 2-hexanol, and in another experiment you have 1-Methylcyclohexene which reacts with H2SO4 in water to produce 1-methylcyclohexanol. Do the reactions in these experiments conform to E2 elimination, Markovniko
In an experiment that is performed you use 1-hexene and is reacted with H2SO4 with water as the solvent. The product formed is 2-hexanol, is this an example of 1,4 addition, or proceeds via a carbanion, or is an example of electrophillic addition, or results in sp2 hybridized carbon being transformed into a sp hybridized carbon
Examine the label of any vegetable oils, solid shortening, margarine, or butter you might have on hand. Identify the oil or fat and report the level of saturated, mono-unsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats that are listed on the label. Try to rank them from most saturated to most unsaturated. Check if the label mentions anything
1. In the bromination of n-butane, the secondary hydrogens are 20 times more reactive than the primary hydrogens. What is the product ratio of 1-bromobutane to 2-bromobutane? a. 6:4 b. 1:20 c.93:7 d. 7:93 2. Rank the free radicals (I-III) shown below in order of decreasing stability (ie, most stable to least s
1. An energy maximum in a reaction-energy diagram would be labeled as which of the following? a. Reactant b. Product c. Transition State d. Intermediate 2. Which of the following best describes the shape of the methyl free radical? a. linear b, planar c, tetrahedral d. pyramidal
1. Which of the following correctly lists the following isomeric alkanes in order of increasing boiling point? n-hexane, 2,3-dimethylbutane, 2-methylpentane a. n-hexane < 2-methylpentane < 2,3- dimethylbutane b. 2-methylpentane < 2,3-dimethylbutane < n-hexane c. 2,3-dimethylbutane < 2-methylpentane < n-hexane d. n-hexa
Can you please explain the molecular bonding of hydrocortisone. How many functional groups and what are they? I need the explanation of the actual chemical structure and the chemistry behind the structure.
1. Draw the structure of bicyclo [3.2.0] heptane. 2. Consider the following compounds: CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 CH3-CH2-CH2-NH-CH3 CH3-CH2CH2-CH2OH Predict their relative boiling points (rank from low (1) to (3)). Explain answer in terms of the intermolecular forces involved. 3. Draw a three-dimensional structure of CH3C
1. The C-O-C bond angle (degees) in the compound CH3-O-CH3 is closest to a. 90 b. 109 c. 120 d. 180 2. Which of the following molecules would be expected to be MOST water soluble? a. CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 b. CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 c. HOCH2-CH2-CH2OH d. ClCH2-CH2-CH2Cl 3. The relationship between CH3CH2OH and HOCH2C
1. The number of different constitutional isomers that can be drawn for C2H4Br2 is equal to a.1 b. 2 c.3 d. 4 2. The order of boiling points of the simple alkanes CH4, C2H6, and C3H8 is a. CH4 < C2H6< C3H8 b. CH4 > C2H6> C3H8 c. C2H6 < CH4 < C3H8 d. CH4 < C2H6 > C3H8 3.Which of the following statements about
(See attached file for full problem description) 1. Draw Newman Projections constructed by looking down the indicated carbon-carbon bond in the following molecule and make a graph of energy versus dihedral angle. 2. Predict the most stable conformation of hexane. Draw a line wedge formula for this confirmation (hint: consi
Which of the following structures contain atoms with a formal charge? Indicate the atom and the charge. Do any of the structures have a net (non-zero) charge? See attached for structures Describe the type of bonding that occurs in H-CH2-OH
I have a problem with reactions. CH3-CH2-C-CH3 + (O) THERE IS AN -OH AND A METHYL ATTACHED TO THE SINGLED OUT -C And also the same problem, but reacting with H+
1. A sample of unknown Y is subjected to elemental analysis. The following percentages by weight are found to be: C 40.0% H 6.7% O remainder of % by weight The molar mass is found to be 60.0 g A. Calculate the empirical formula (show work) B. What is the molecular formula of unknown Y. (Include r
A.) Write a complete mechanism for the addition of diethyl malonate to ethanal in the presence of base to form a beta-hydroxy ester. B.) Outline a sythensis that forms at least on C - C bond for each of the following compounds: 1.) CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2CH=CHCO2H 2.) CH3CH2CH2CH=C(CN)(CO2CH2CH3)
Use IR tables to locate absorption bands of the stretching frequencies of the alkyne C - H bond, the alkyne C - (triple bond)- C , and the alkene C - H bond. Using this data, explain how you would distinguish between 1-butyne, 2-butyne, and 2-butene.
Compounds containing carbon-carbon triple bond undergo the Diels-Alder reaction. Formulate the product formed by the reaction of (E,E)-1,4-dipjhenyl-1-3-butadiene with diethyl acetylenedicarboxylate. Show reaction.
Organic chemistry structural problem with for Methyl Ketone: In organic chemistry, there is a ketone structure that has the carbon bonded twice with the oxygen(C=O)with two components on the side...the question is how or where do I attach the methyl(CH3) on to this Ketone structure? (See attachment for diagram)
1.) Chlorotrimethylsilane reacts with enolate anions to form stable ethers. For example (see reaction attached) Assuming that the reaction is run under equilibrium conditions predict which of the silyl enol ethers below is formed in the largest amount and why? 2.) There are two reasons why the enols of beta-dicarbonyl compoun
Indicate the reaction conditions you would employ to accomplish the following: a. Conversion of tert-butyl chloride to 2-methylpropene to maximize the yield of the elimination product over the substitution product. b. The conversion of tert-butylchloride to tert-butyl ethyl ether to insure the highest possible yield of the eth