1. An energy maximum in a reaction-energy diagram would be labeled as which of the following? a. Reactant b. Product c. Transition State d. Intermediate 2. Which of the following best describes the shape of the methyl free radical? a. linear b, planar c, tetrahedral d. pyramidal
1. Which of the following correctly lists the following isomeric alkanes in order of increasing boiling point? n-hexane, 2,3-dimethylbutane, 2-methylpentane a. n-hexane < 2-methylpentane < 2,3- dimethylbutane b. 2-methylpentane < 2,3-dimethylbutane < n-hexane c. 2,3-dimethylbutane < 2-methylpentane < n-hexane d. n-hexa
Can you please explain the molecular bonding of hydrocortisone. How many functional groups and what are they? I need the explanation of the actual chemical structure and the chemistry behind the structure.
1. Draw the structure of bicyclo [3.2.0] heptane. 2. Consider the following compounds: CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 CH3-CH2-CH2-NH-CH3 CH3-CH2CH2-CH2OH Predict their relative boiling points (rank from low (1) to (3)). Explain answer in terms of the intermolecular forces involved. 3. Draw a three-dimensional structure of CH3C
1. The C-O-C bond angle (degees) in the compound CH3-O-CH3 is closest to a. 90 b. 109 c. 120 d. 180 2. Which of the following molecules would be expected to be MOST water soluble? a. CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3 b. CH3-CH2-O-CH2-CH3 c. HOCH2-CH2-CH2OH d. ClCH2-CH2-CH2Cl 3. The relationship between CH3CH2OH and HOCH2C
1. A sample of unknown Y is subjected to elemental analysis. The following percentages by weight are found to be: C 40.0% H 6.7% O remainder of % by weight The molar mass is found to be 60.0 g A. Calculate the empirical formula (show work) B. What is the molecular formula of unknown Y. (Include r
A.) Write a complete mechanism for the addition of diethyl malonate to ethanal in the presence of base to form a beta-hydroxy ester. B.) Outline a sythensis that forms at least on C - C bond for each of the following compounds: 1.) CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2CH=CHCO2H 2.) CH3CH2CH2CH=C(CN)(CO2CH2CH3)
Use IR tables to locate absorption bands of the stretching frequencies of the alkyne C - H bond, the alkyne C - (triple bond)- C , and the alkene C - H bond. Using this data, explain how you would distinguish between 1-butyne, 2-butyne, and 2-butene.
Compounds containing carbon-carbon triple bond undergo the Diels-Alder reaction. Formulate the product formed by the reaction of (E,E)-1,4-dipjhenyl-1-3-butadiene with diethyl acetylenedicarboxylate. Show reaction.
Organic chemistry structural problem with for Methyl Ketone: In organic chemistry, there is a ketone structure that has the carbon bonded twice with the oxygen(C=O)with two components on the side...the question is how or where do I attach the methyl(CH3) on to this Ketone structure? (See attachment for diagram)
1.) Chlorotrimethylsilane reacts with enolate anions to form stable ethers. For example (see reaction attached) Assuming that the reaction is run under equilibrium conditions predict which of the silyl enol ethers below is formed in the largest amount and why? 2.) There are two reasons why the enols of beta-dicarbonyl compoun
Why sugar burns rapidly with ignited but shows no reaction under normal conditions (ie a sugar bowl)
Why is sugar stable under standard conditions. In contrast to the high stability of sugar in daily use it burns rapidly when ignited without any 'booster' like sulphur or alkali nitrates.
What determines whether a group on a benzene ring will be activating or deactivating and ortho para or meta directing?
Question: Provide a retrosynthetic and forward analysis for the following molecule, starting from commercially available compounds.The retrosynthesis should clearly identify the synthons and their synthetic equivalents. Also functional group inter-conversions and bond disconnections should be clearly indicated where needed.The f
Provide a retrosynthetic and forward analysis for the following molecule, starting from commercially available compounds. The retrosynthesis should clearly identify the synthons and their synthetic equivalents. Also functional group interconversions and bond disconnections should be clearly indicated where needed. The forward
Please help with Fiedel-Crafts reactions and the end results of the product. Please explain the attached question - predicting the major products of each reaction and naming the product. Also, if no reaction occurs, please provide a reasonable explanation as to why that is the case.
1. Draw the structure of Compound A based on its formula and proton NMR. The integration of the peaks from left to right is 5:2:1. Compound A, MF C7H8O 2. Draw the structure of Compound B. Hint: The IR spectrum shows a strong bond at 1725 cm^-1. 3. Draw the structure of Compound C. Hint: The IR spectrum shows no peaks nea
Provide me with your exact logic used to get the answer. A mysterious material was purified from safflower oil (hint: full of fatty acids). Upon ozonolysis it gave the following compounds in their respective molar ratios. Draw the structure of the mysterious material and give me its common name. 3 moles CHOCH2CHO 1 mol
Explain why the C=C stretching mode gives rise to a rather weak IR band in 1-methylcyclohexane, while in its isomer, methylenecyclohexene, the band is of medium to strong intensity.
There are numerous condensations that are closely related to the Perkin reaction. Among these are the aldol /3Badv/, and /A3a/, Knoevenagel, Claisen, and Dickmann condensations. What general class of compounds can be prepared using each of these well-known reactions?
In an unsymmetrical alkene, the boron atom adds predominantly to the least substituted carbon atom. For example, 2-methyl-2-butene gives the products shown below. CH3-C-CH2-CH3 (also has a CH3 single bonded above the C and a BH2 single bonded below the C) 2% CH3-CH-C-CH3 (also has a CH3 single bonded above the C in the CH
A sample of solid monoprotic acid with molar mass equal to 192.3g/mol was titrated with 0.1237M sodium hydroxide solution. Calculate the mass in grams of acid to be used if the volume of NaOH to be used is 25mL. (Stt attachment for full question)
When tert-pentyl bromide is treated with 80% ethanol, the amounts of alkene products indicated below are detected on analysis. Explain why Compound I is formed in far greater amount than the terminal alkene. Products: CH3CH=C(CH3)2 (32%) CH3CH2C=CH2 (there is also a CH3 single bonded underneath the single C) (8%) tert-Pe
What product(s) would you expect to form when tetrahydrofuran is treated with excess hydroiodic acid (HI)?
I need some help to get me started: Determine the weight in grams of sodium dihydrogen phosphate (M.W.138.01) and disodium hydrogen phosphate (M.W 141.98) needed to prepare 1L of a standard buffer at pH 7.00, with a total phosphate concentration of 0.100M. Okay I know that the pKa is going to be 6.86. I am therefore going
I am pretty sure that I have figured out the problem, just one peice is stumping me. Do you think that you can help me figure out the structure and name. What I have may possibly be right. Question: Analyze the data given in each of the problems below, deduce the structure and give the name. A fishy-smelling liquid with
A. Ferrocene cannot be nitrated using the conventional HNO3-H2SO4 mixed acid conditions, even though nitration is an electrophilic aromatic substitution reaction. Explain. b. In the formation of diacetylferrocene, the product is always the one in which each ring is monacetylated. Thy is no diacetylferrocene produced in whi
Vitamin B12 ia an interesting biomolecule. It is important to know about its structure and properties.
What is the molecular structure of Vitamin B12 and how is it important in our life.
Lidocaine is thought to bind to receptors in its methylated form. identify in writting the atoms or groups in the compound that could be involved in its binding to a receptor via- hydrogen bonding (1 example) an ionic interaction give the 2 types of functional groups that need to be present in the receptor s
Draw the abbreviated structural formula of the products of the complete hydrolysis of lidocain. Identify any new functional groups naming them clearly.