A light ray is traveling from glass (refractive index 1.54) into air (refractive index 1.00) at an angle of incidence of 45 degrees as shown. See attachment for diagram. Calculate the critical angle for the light going from glass to air. Show on a ray diagram what happens to the ray after it hits the interface. Show a
The drawing shows an optical fiber that consists of a core made of flint glass(n flint= 1.667) surrounded by a cladding made of crown glass(n crown = 1.523). A beam of light enters the fiber from the air at an angle theta1 with respect to the normal. What is theta1 if the light strikes the core-cladding interface at the critic
A point source of light is submerged 2.2 m below the surface of a lake and emits rays in all directions. On the surface of the lake, directly above the source, the area illuminated is a circle. What is the maximum radius that this circle could have?
A laser beam enters one of the sloping faces of the equilateral glass prism (n=1.42) and refracts through the prism. Within the prism the light travel horizontally. What is the angle between the direction of the incident ray and the direction of the outgoing ray?
A horizontal beam of light enters a 45 degree-90 degree-45 degree prism at the center of its long side. The emerging ray moves in a direction that is 34 degrees below the horizontal. What is the index of refraction of this prism?
The angle of refraction for a ray of light traveling through an ice cube is 35 degrees, (a) now suppose the ice melts, but the angle of refraction remains the same, is the corresponding angle of incidence greater than, less than, or the same as it was for the ice? Explain. (b) Calculate the angle of incidence for part (a).
Light enters a container of benzene at an angle of 43 degrees to the normal; the refracted beam makes an angle of 27 degrees with the normal. Calculate the index of refraction of benzene.
In one of the many books published by the Greek astronomer Ptolemy called Optics, Ptolemy reports the results of refraction experiments he conducted by observing light passing from air into water. His results are as follows: angle of incidence = 10.0 degrees, angle of refraction = 8.00 degrees; angle of incidence = 20.0 degrees
A beam of light falls from air onto a slab of transparent plastic at an angle of incidence of 45 degrees. The angle of refraction of the refracted ray in the plastic is 30 degrees. The refractive index of the plastic is: a. 1 b. 2 c. square root 2 d. 1/2
1) Does the law of reflection apply to microwaves when they strike a metallic plate? Explain. 2) Does the law of refraction apply to microwaves when they strike a prism? Does this produce constant values? Explain.
1. Calculate the minimum theoretical angle of resolution of a telescope 5.08m (200in.) in diameter for light of 550nm. 2. Two small street lights 2.00 m apart are photographed by a camera 30m away. The camera's 50-mm focal-length lens has an aperture of f/1.8. Can the two lamps be distinguished on the photograph? 3. Light
A transparent oil of index of refraction 1.29 spills on the surface of water (index of refraction 1.33), producing a maximum of reflection with normally incident violet light (wavelength 400 nm in air). Assuming the maximum occurs in the first order, determine the thickness of the oil slick.
1. A woman 168cm tall stands in front of a plane mirror attached to a vertical wall. What is the minimum length that the mirror must have for the woman to see her entire height? 2. Water in a fish tank is 38cm deep, and a coin rests on the bottom. How far below the surface does the coin appear to be when viewed from above? (A
The refraction of perpendicularly incident white light by a soap film in air has an interface maximum at 600nm and a minimum at 450nm, with no minimum in between. If n=1.33 for the film, what is the film thickness, assumed uniform?
A beam of light of wavelength 550nm, traveling in air, is incident on a slab of transparent material. The incident beam makes an angle of 40 degrees with the normal, and the refracted beam makes an angle of 26 degrees with the normal. (a) Find the index of refraction on the material? (b) What is the wavelength of this ligh
1. A wave has a frequency of 3800 Hz and a wavelength of 0.50 m. What is its speed? Light passes at an angle of 30.0 degrees to the normal from air (n=1.0003) into glass (n=1.50). 2. What is the speed of of light in the glass? 3. What is the angle of refraction? 4. A light wave has a wavelength of 680 nm. Wh
Late one night on a highway, a car speeds by you and fades into the distance. Under these conditions the pupils of your eyes (average refractive index = 1.36) have diameters of about 7.0 mm. The taillights of this car are separated by a distance of 1.4 m and emit red light (wavelength = 660 nm in vacuum). How far away from you i
Light is reflected from a glass coffee table. When the angle of incidence is 56.0°, the reflected light is completely polarized parallel to the surface of the glass. What is the index of refraction of the glass?
What is the speed of light in diamond?
1. The speed all electromagnetic waves in empty space is 3.00 x 10^8 m/s. Calculate the wavelength of electromagnetic waves emitted at the following frequencies: a. radio waves at 88.0 MHz b. visible light at 6.0 x 10^8 MHz 2. A tuning fork produces a sound with a frequency of 256 Hz and a wavelength in air of
1. For an incoming ray of light with the vacuum wavelength of 589 nm, fill in the unknown values in the following table. From (medium) To(medium) 0i 0r ---------------------------------------------------- a. Flint glass Crown glass 25.0 ? b. Air ? 14.5 9.80 c.
I am having a bit of trouble with a problem in a algebra based physics course. When blue light (wavelength 589nm)is reflected from an air wedge formed by two flat glass plates, the bright fringes are 0.6cm apart. 1) How thick is the air wedge 5.0cm from the line of contact of the plates? (the wedge is viewed at normal in
Astronomers observe the chromosphere of the Sun with a filter that passes the red hydrogen spectral line of wavelength 656.3 nm. The filter consists of a transparent dielectric of thickness d held between two partially aluminized glass plates. The filter is held at a constant temperature. a) Find the minimum value of d that p