In one of the many books published by the Greek astronomer Ptolemy called Optics, Ptolemy reports the results of refraction experiments he conducted by observing light passing from air into water. His results are as follows: angle of incidence = 10.0 degrees, angle of refraction = 8.00 degrees; angle of incidence = 20.0 degrees
A beam of light falls from air onto a slab of transparent plastic at an angle of incidence of 45 degrees. The angle of refraction of the refracted ray in the plastic is 30 degrees. The refractive index of the plastic is: a. 1 b. 2 c. square root 2 d. 1/2
1) Does the law of reflection apply to microwaves when they strike a metallic plate? Explain. 2) Does the law of refraction apply to microwaves when they strike a prism? Does this produce constant values? Explain.
1. Calculate the minimum theoretical angle of resolution of a telescope 5.08m (200in.) in diameter for light of 550nm. 2. Two small street lights 2.00 m apart are photographed by a camera 30m away. The camera's 50-mm focal-length lens has an aperture of f/1.8. Can the two lamps be distinguished on the photograph? 3. Light
A transparent oil of index of refraction 1.29 spills on the surface of water (index of refraction 1.33), producing a maximum of reflection with normally incident violet light (wavelength 400 nm in air). Assuming the maximum occurs in the first order, determine the thickness of the oil slick.
1. A woman 168cm tall stands in front of a plane mirror attached to a vertical wall. What is the minimum length that the mirror must have for the woman to see her entire height? 2. Water in a fish tank is 38cm deep, and a coin rests on the bottom. How far below the surface does the coin appear to be when viewed from above? (A
The refraction of perpendicularly incident white light by a soap film in air has an interface maximum at 600nm and a minimum at 450nm, with no minimum in between. If n=1.33 for the film, what is the film thickness, assumed uniform?
A beam of light of wavelength 550nm, traveling in air, is incident on a slab of transparent material. The incident beam makes an angle of 40 degrees with the normal, and the refracted beam makes an angle of 26 degrees with the normal. (a) Find the index of refraction on the material? (b) What is the wavelength of this ligh
1. A wave has a frequency of 3800 Hz and a wavelength of 0.50 m. What is its speed? Light passes at an angle of 30.0 degrees to the normal from air (n=1.0003) into glass (n=1.50). 2. What is the speed of of light in the glass? 3. What is the angle of refraction? 4. A light wave has a wavelength of 680 nm. Wh
Late one night on a highway, a car speeds by you and fades into the distance. Under these conditions the pupils of your eyes (average refractive index = 1.36) have diameters of about 7.0 mm. The taillights of this car are separated by a distance of 1.4 m and emit red light (wavelength = 660 nm in vacuum). How far away from you i
Light is reflected from a glass coffee table. When the angle of incidence is 56.0°, the reflected light is completely polarized parallel to the surface of the glass. What is the index of refraction of the glass?
What is the speed of light in diamond?
1. The speed all electromagnetic waves in empty space is 3.00 x 10^8 m/s. Calculate the wavelength of electromagnetic waves emitted at the following frequencies: a. radio waves at 88.0 MHz b. visible light at 6.0 x 10^8 MHz 2. A tuning fork produces a sound with a frequency of 256 Hz and a wavelength in air of
1. For an incoming ray of light with the vacuum wavelength of 589 nm, fill in the unknown values in the following table. From (medium) To(medium) 0i 0r ---------------------------------------------------- a. Flint glass Crown glass 25.0 ? b. Air ? 14.5 9.80 c.
Astronomers observe the chromosphere of the Sun with a filter that passes the red hydrogen spectral line of wavelength 656.3 nm. The filter consists of a transparent dielectric of thickness d held between two partially aluminized glass plates. The filter is held at a constant temperature. a) Find the minimum value of d that p