Explore BrainMass


Continuous Probability Distribution - Independent Events

5.62 A certain airplane has two independent alternators to provide electrical power. The probability that a given alternator will fail on a 1-hour flight is .02. What is the probability that (a) both will fail? (b) Neither will fail? (c) One or the other will fail? Show all steps carefully. 5.70 The probability is 1 in 4,00

Permutation and combination are demonstrated.

7. Let A(4,3) and B(7,11) be two points in a plane. If all paths are equally likely, what would be the probability of choosing a path that begins with an up move and ends with an up move? (Each path is made up of moves that either go up one unit or over one unit to the right.) 8. In a state lottery game, anyone who picks 6 n

Permutation and combination

4. What are the odds that a randomly selected number between 1 and 100 will not have a digit 7? (For instance, 23 does not have a digit 7, but 73 does.) 5. There are 4 slots, each containing any of letters a, m, h, t. HINT: What are the odds that letters stored in these slots read the word math? Remember that each slot

Probability Transition Matrix

4. Each day for lunch, Dr. Smith either brings in a lunch, has Taco Bell or gets a free lunch in the Springdale Room as he takes either students or guests of the department for lunch. On any given day there is a 10% probability that he will eat in the Springdale Room. If he brought in lunch yesterday, then he either remembers

Mixed Probability Questions

Solve the following problems showing your work: 1. In a poll, respondents were asked whether they had ever been in a car accident. 157 respondents indicated that they had been in a car accident and 117 respondents said that they had not been in a car accident. If one of these respondents is randomly selected, what is the pr

Probability and Measures of Central Tendency

1. The weight in pounds of ten randomly-selected football players are: 245, 304, 310, 251, 195 185, 230, 264, 315, 196 Find the median of these weights. 2. The price in dollars of a gallon of gasoline at the end of each month is recorded for one year. The results are: (SEE ATTACHED FILE) Find the midrange of t

Help with statistic problems

1. Graphical Analysis Are the events shown in the Venn diagram below mutually exclusive? Please see the attachment for graph. 2. Decide if the events are mutually exclusive. Event A: Roll a 6 on an ideal six-sided die. Event B: Roll a 4 on an ideal six-sided die. 1 Use the table below to answer questions 3-7. Nursing

Find the following probabilities.

X has a normal distribution with a mean of 80.0 and a standard deviation of 3.5. Find the following probabilities: (A) P(x < 75.0) (B) P(78.0 < x < 83.0) (C) P(x > 85.0)

Probability problem

1) Suppose a deck of 10 cards each with a different digit from 0-9 are shuffled and a card from the top of the deck is drawn. Find the following probabilities. a) That the outcome is odd. b) That the outcome is prime (2, 3, 5 and 7). c) That the outcome is odd and prime . d) That the outcome is odd or prime . e) That the ou

Please round all probability answers correct to three places.

Note: Please round all probability answers correct to three places. 1. A university found that 22% of its students who registered for Statistics I withdraw without completing the course. Assume that 25 students register for Statistics I. a. Compute the probability that exactly 8 students will withdraw without completing


As reported by Runner's World magazine, the times of the finishers in the New York City 10-km run are normally distributed with a mean of 61 minutes and a standard deviation of 9 minutes. Let X be the finishing time for a finisher in the New York 10-km run. a) What is the chance that finishers complete the run with the times b


Suppose that you purchased (randomly select) 3 laptops from a production run of 10 laptops. Of the 10 laptops, 9 are destined to last at least two years without needing a single repair. What is the probability that all three of your laptops will last at least two years without needing a single repair?

Probability Question

In a class of 10 students, what is the probability that at least 2 students were born on the same day of the year (365 days)?

A probability distribution is featured.

8. Joe is considering one of three locations for his business. There is a 45% probability he will choose location A, a 25% probability he will choose B and a 30% probability he will choose location C. If he chooses A the probability that he will make a profit in the first six months is 55%, if he chooses B the probability of

Depict the frequency histogram.

1. Richwood Products buys parts from Staple Brothers machining. The engineers at Richwood want to ensure that the parts purchased meet their companyâ??s standards. Their engineers take a random sample of 5000 parts from all of the parts purchased from Staple and test to see if the parts are defective. Out of the 5000 parts,

M/M/1 queuing model

Please give step by step solution to the following problems. 8. The ticket booth on the Tech campus is operated by one person, who is selling tickets for the annual Tech versus State football game on Saturday. The ticket seller can serve an average of 12 customers per hour; on average, 10 customers arrive to purchase tickets

Conditional Probability, Intersection, and independence

In a study to determine frequency and dependency of color blindness relative to females and males 1000 people were chosen at random and the following results were recorded: A. Convert the table to a probability table by dividing each entry by 1,000. B. What is the probability that a person is a woman, given that the pers

Probability of Keeping in Touch

Please help with the following probability problems. Show the formula and the steps in working the formula for each problem. In a poll conducted in 2007, 2000 adults ages 18 yr and older were asked how frequently they are in touch with their parents by phone. The results of the poll are as follows: Answer

Few probability problems

1: The theoretical probability of undesirable side effects resulting from taking Grebex is 1 in 12. If 600 people take Grebex to lower their blood pressure, how many will encounter undesirable side effects? 2: If the odds of winning a raffle are 2:229, what is the probability of winning? 3: One thousand raffle tickets are

Probability, Tree diagram, Sample space

1. A bag contains 6 purple marbles, 7 azure marbles and 10 orange marbles. What is the chance of drawing a purple marble? If a purple marble is drawn then placed back into the bag, and a second marble is drawn, what is the probability of drawing an orange marble? Give solutions exactly in reduced fraction form. 2. A mini lice

What is the probability that U exceeds 1/2?

A random variable T is selected that is uniformly distributed over the interval (0; 1]. Then a second random variable U is chosen, uniformly distributed on the interval (0; T]. What is the probability that U exceeds 1/2?


1. Of 23 college sophomores at Crocodile Community College, 12 preferred pepperoni pizza, 7 preferred supreme, and 4 preferred cheese. If we picked a college sophomore at Crocodile Community College at random, what is the probability that he or she would prefer supreme? Give solution exactly in reduced fraction form. 2. If

A survey of mathematics

Please see attachment 1# Mr. Doodle's grade distribution over the past 3 years for a course in college algebra is shown in the chart below.&#8232; Grade Number A 45 B 180 C 110 D 95 F 65 I 5 If Jane plans to take a college algebra course with Mr. Doodle, determine the empirical probability that sh

Normal distribution

10. Assume the distribution is normal. Use the area of the normal curve to answer the question. Round to the nearest whole percent. The average size of the fish in a lake is 11.4 inches, with a standard deviation of 3.2 inches. Find the probability of catching a fish longer than 17 inches. 11. A company installs 5000 light

probability distribution of the model

Alice Tanner is a nurse on the night shift from 10:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. at Community Hospital. She has 15 patients for whom she is responsible in her area. She averages two calls from each of her patients every night on average (Poisson distributed) and she must spend an average of 10 minutes (exponentially distributed) with eac

Transportation problem

Norfolk, Virginia, a major seaport on the East Coast, has a ship coal loading facility. Coal trucks filled with coal presently arrive at the port facility at mean rate of 149 per day (Poisson distributed). The facility operates 24 hours a day. The coal trucks are unloaded one at a time on a first-come, first-served basis by m

T.J.'s small local grocery store

T.J.'s market is a small local grocery store with only one checkout counter. Assume that the shoppers arrive at the checkout lane at an average rate of 15 customers per hour and that the average order takes 3 minutes to ring up and bag. a) If T.J. does not want the average time waiting for service to exceed 5 minutes, what w

Bayes Theorem

Problem #38 review question need help The key formula on the second page is the formula needed to use to complete number 38. This is supplementary exercise to help me. Solution and explanation. 38. A Morgan Stanley Consumer Research Survey sampled men and women and asked each whether the preferred to drink plain bottled