A stone is thrown upward from the top of a 180 meter building at a speed of 10 meters per second. Its altitude in meters above the ground is modeled by the function h(t) = -9.8t^2 + 10t + 180, where t is time in seconds. After how many seconds does the stone reach its maximum height above the ground? What is that maximum height?
BrainMass Solutions Available for Instant Download
A) Explain why the line x = 5 is a vertical line b) Why y = -5 is a horizontal line. c) Write an equation of a line in the form of y=mx + b with a negative slope. d) Write an equation of a line in the form of y=mx + b with a positive slope.
A firm is faced with the attractive situation in which it can be obtain immediate delivery of item it stocks for retail sale. The firm has, therefore, not bothered to order the item in any systematic way. However, recently profits have been squeezed due to increasing pressures, and the firm has retained a management consultant
1. The following table shows the number of hours five car salespeople worked and the number of cars they sold. Using Excel, plot each point on the same graph where the first coordinate is the number of hours and the second coordinate is the number of cars sold (hours, cars). After plotting each point, explain if there is a linea
The number of arrests y of a city over a period of time x is graphed on a rectangular coordinate system. Write a paragraph describing your interpretation when the slope is positive, zero, and negative. If you were buying a home in this particular city, which slope would be most attractive to you and why?
Graph the following functions. y=2x-1 y=(-3/4)x+5 y=x^2-4 y=3x^2-6x-5 Label each axis and all intercepts
Please help with this paper: Write a short paper describing a graph or a series of graphs that would represent a real life situation or problem from your own life. -Provide some examples of real life situations that graphs could be used to represent.
Answer following questions showing your work for all problems. Part I Describe in words the graph of each of these curves below. Include in your description the shape, along with other possible relevant information such as length, width, and center points. a. Y = 3X2 b. (X-1)2 + (Y-8)2 = 16 c. (X+2)2 + (Y-4)2 =
Exercises on Functions Answer the following questions: 1. What is a function? 2. What is a linear function? 3. What form does a linear function take? (I.e., What is the standard mathematical notation of a linear function?) 4. What is the formula for determining the slope of a line? 5. Which of the followin
A set of contraints for the profit formula P=5x+2Y are given. a) Draw the graph of the constraints and find the vertices of the feasible region. b) Use the vertices to determine the maximum and minimum profit. X+Y is Less than or equal to 5; X is more than or equal to 0 X-2Y is less than or equal to 6; Y is more tha
Define an intercept in a parabolic graph. What are the number(s) of intercepts a quadratic graph may have? Explain your answer/ diagram etc. How do you compute the intercepts in a quadratic function? Provide three real world applications of a parabola and explain its importance to our daily life.
Please also give Matlab solutions to the following problem. Find the Pade approximation R_(5,4) (x) for f(x) = sin x. Plot the following graphs: i) Comparison of R_(5,4) (x) versus f(x) = sin x, and ii) the error E(x) = |R_(5,4) (x) - sin x|, each on interval [-PI, PI].
28. A toy making company has at least 300 squares of felt, 700 oz of stuffing, and 230 ft of trim to make dogs and dinosaurs. A dog uses 1 square of felt, 4 oz of stuffing, and 1 ft of trim. A dinosaur uses 2 squares of felt, 3 oz of stuffing, and 1 ft of trim. It costs the company $1.09 to make each dog and $1.30 for each dino
Please see attached. help with homework. equation, graphs.
See attached file. Section 9.1 : Correlation Section 9.2: Linear Regression Total points are 40. Points are included with each problem. Included with each section or problem are reference examples and end of section exercises that can be used as a guide. Be sure to show your work in case partial credit is awarded. To re
1.Evaluate. 2.Simplify the following expression: . 3.Solve for . Simplify your answer as much as possible. 4.Solve the inequality for . Simplify your answer as much as possible. 5.On Wednesday, a local hamburger shop sold a combined total of hamburgers and cheeseburgers. The number of cheeseburger
Express the area of the rectangle (i tried to make one below) as a quadratic function of x, and also, for what value of x will the area be a maximum? This is supposed to be a rectangle: |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 11-x ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
1) Which of the given functions is a one-to-one function? Select all that apply g(x)=2sqrt(x+5) g(x)=5x^2-2 h(x)=x^4+5 f(x)=Abs(x) f(x)=-5x+2 2) Which of the given functions is a one-to-one function? Select all that apply g(x)=3sqrt(x) f(x)=-2x+3 g(x)=2x^2-3x f(x)=1/x h(x)=x^4+5 3) Assume that f is a one to one f
If the fixed-point iteration is applied to the function F(x) = 2 + (x-2)^4, starting at x = 2.5, what order of convergence results? Find the range of starting values for which this fixed-point iteration converges. Note that 2 is a fixed point. Please provide as much detail as possible so that I can understand how the solu
Why do you think different polls got such a wide range of estimates of Bush's lead in the polls, ranging from a 12% lead to a 4% lead? What sampling techniques would you use to get the most accurate estimate of which candidate would win on election day?
Prior to the November, 2000 presidential election George W. Bush had a comfortable lead in the polls. But on election day Bush ended up losing the popular vote by a small margin (although winning the electoral vote). Read the following article below written before the election: Larry Kudlow (2000) The Weak-End of Polling,
5. Every rational x can be written in the form x = m/n, where n > 0, and m and n are integers without any common divisors. When x = 0, we take n = 1. Consider the function f defined on the reals where f(x) = 0 when x is irrational and f(x)= 1/n when x =m/n a, prove that f(x) is continuous at every irrational point and discon
The magnitude (size) of the force, , between two charged particles a distance apart is given by the equation below. Ke is a constant. Rearrange this equation to make Ke the subject. F = Ke Q1 Q2 r2 The answer should not include any brackets and should use super/sub script w
Problem 6. (a) Draw a graph with numbered and directed edges (and numbered vertices) whose incidence matrix is A =[ -1 1 0 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1 0 -1 0 0 -1 1] (b) Is this graph a tree? (c) Show that removing the last edge produces a spanning tree. (d) The remaining rows are a basis
Write vector, parametric, and symmetric equations for the Line L if A) L passes through A(1,2,3), L || v= <-1,1,4>. B) L passes through A(1,2,3), and B (4, 6, 7). Also, write an equation for the segment from A to B.
The height (in centimeters) of a candle is a linear function of the amount of time (in hours) it has been burning. When graphed, the function gives a line with a slope of -0.5. See the figure below. Suppose that the height of the candle after 18 hours is 19 centimeters. What was the height of the candle after 12 hours?
Write a short paper describing a graph or a series of graphs that would represent a real life situation or problem from your own life. An example might be a graph of your personal spending habits throughout the year, or the amount of time you spend watching TV each day of the week. Describe this graph in words and provide a co
1) If x varies directly as y, and x=20 when y=4, find x when y=6 2) Find the slope of the line that goes through the given points. (-3,5) and (2,-10) choices: The slope is ?. (simplify answer. type interger of fraction.) or The slope is undefined 3)a parking garage charges $2.21 for the first hour and $0.50 for
Question Linear relationships between two quantities can be described by an equation or a graph. Which do you think is the more informative? Why? Please answer in the simplest terms possible, I am trying to understand this stuff.
1. Sketch the following surfaces and identify by type ( hyperboloid, ellipsoid, etc.). (a) 4x^2 + 9y^2 + 4z^2= 36 (b) z= x^2 + 4y^2 2. The velocity of a particle in space is given by v(t)= (e^t)i+(sin2t)j + (t^2)k. Find the particle's position as a function of t if r(0)= i + j.
Question: If a vendor charges p dollars each for rugby shirts, then he expects to sell 2000 - 100p shirts at a tournament. a) Find a polynomial R(p) that represents the total revenue when the shirts are p dollars each. b) Find R(5), R(10), and R(20).