A diver runs horizontally with a speed of 1.20 m/s off a platform that is 10 m above the water. What is his speed just before striking the water?
15. The height achieved in a jump is determined by the initial vertical velocity that the jumper is able to achieve. Assuming that this is a ﬁxed number, how high can an athlete jump on Mars if she can clear 1.55 In on Earth? 22. The radius of a neutron star is T50 times smaller than Earth's radius, and its mass is 1.8 H 105
A steel piano string is .05m in length, with a mass of .005kg, and has a tension of 400N. 1) what is the fundamental frequency and wavelength of the string? 2) What is the speed of a wave on this string? 3) If the tension is increased to 450N, what is the new fundamental frequency?
If you loft a ball with an initial speed of 15.0 m/s at an angle of 50 degrees above the horizontal. At this instant your opponent is 10 m away from the ball. He begins moving away from you .30 sec later, hoping to reach the ball and hit it back at the moment that it is 2.10 m above its launch point. I'm trying to figure out wha
Please see attachment 1) Determine the location of the centroid yc, measured from the bottom, for a beam with the cross section shown in the figure. A) 0.5 in B) 2.5 in C) 3.0 in D) 5.0 in 2) Determine the maximum flexural stress produced by a resisting moment Mr of +5000 ft*lb if the beam has the cross section sho
A 56.5 kg circus performer bobs up and down at the end of a long elastic rope at a rate of once every 5.70 s. The elastic rope obeys Hooke's law. Find how much the rope is extended beyond its unloaded length when the performer hangs at rest.
1. The balloon A is ascending at the rate of v_A=12km/h and is being carried horizontally by the wind at v_w=20km/h. If a ballast bag is dropped from the balloon at the instant h=50m, determine the time needed for it to strike the ground. Assume that the bag was released from the balloon with the same velocity as the balloon. Al
(See attached files for full problem descriptions) --- Problem Set 1 1) If 2x + y = 3 and x - y = 3: a) What is x? A) 1 B) 2 C) 3 D) 0 E)-1 b) What is y? A) 1 B) 2 C) 3 D) 0 E)-1 2) If you walk 3 miles in one hour and then 4 miles in two hours, what is your average speed for the entire trip? (in mph
Here is a string problem I'm having much trouble with. An explanation would be greatly appreciated. It's written much more clearly on the attachment, so please go there first!!! Here it is, Consider a string under a tension T, mass density ρ with a pulse ξ(x,t) = ξ_0^ (-(x-ct)^2/a^2) . propag
A mass on a string of unknown length oscillates as a pendulum with a period of 4.0 (s). Parts a to d are independent questions, each referring to the initial situation. What is the period if: a. The mass is doubled? in seconds b. The string length is doubled? in seconds c. The string length is halved? in seconds d. The ampli
An 79.1 kg astronaut is working on the engines of his ship, which is drifting through space with a constant velocity. The astronaut, wishing to get a better view of the Universe, pushes against the ship and much later finds himself 30.4 m behind the ship. Without a thruster, the only way to return to the ship is to throw his 0.5
If an object slides directly down an inclined place, at a constant velocity of 6 m/s, how large is the coefficient of kinetic friction if the plane make an angle of 25 degrees with the horizontal?
Waves on a string: By what factor should the tension in this string be changed to produce waves with a speed of 32 m/s?
Waves on a particular string travels with a speed of 16 m/s. By what factor should the tension in this string be changed to produce waves with a speed of 32 m/s?
Hi, I need some assistance with the following questions: Question: At the average rate of 15 m/s^2. How much time does it take for the complete increase in speed? a. 0.25 s b. 4.0 s c. 0.0577 s d. 17.3 s e. 8.0 s Question: A car traveling 20 m/s is able to stop in a distance d. Assuming the same braking force, what
A safe with a mass of 150kg is at rest on the floor. what is the minimum horizontal force needed to move the safe if the coefficent of static friction between the safe and the floor is 0.3? a.441n b. 51n c.501n d.41n
What is a pulley? where is it used?
A 75 kg athlete does a single handstand. If the area of the hand is in contact with the floor is 125 cm^2, what pressure is exerted on the floor?
A hoop of radius 0.5 m and a mass of 0.2kg is released from rest and allowed to roll down an inclined plane. How fast is it moving after being dropped from a vertical distance of 3m? a. 5.4 m/s b. 3.8 m/s c. 7.7 m/s d. 2.2 m/s
The by Pass Ratio of the JT9D-3A engine is 5.17:1. If the air mass flow through the fan is 577 kg/s, determine the air mass flow through the core.
A 16 g rifle bullet traveling 150 m/s buries itself in a 4.0 kg pendulum hanging on a 3.3 m long string, which makes the pendulum swing upward in an arc. Determine the horizontal component of the pendulum's displacement.
1. A spring is compressed 10 cm by pushing a body against it. When released the spring pushes the body towards another identical spring. The body must slide over a rough floor in order to reach the second spring. When it makes contact the body compresses the opposite spring by 8 cm. Once again the body is forced back over the ro
A 3.0 kg rod of length 5.0 m has at opposite ends point masses of 4.0 kg and 6.0 kg(a) Will the center of mass of this system be (1) nearer to the 4.0 kg mass, (2) nearer to the 6.0 kg mass, or (3) at the center of the rod? Why? (b) Where is the center of mass of the system?
Question: When an object weighing 50 N is hung from a vertical spring, it stretches 20 cm. Calculate the spring's elastic constant. If the 50 N load were replaced with a 80 N weight, how far would the spring stretch?
38. In an emergency stop to avoid an accident, a shoulder-strap seat belt holds a 60-kg passenger firmly in place. If the car were initially traveling at 90 km/h and came to a stop in 5.5 s along a straight, level road, what was the average force applied to the passenger by the seatbelt? 66. A person standing on a bridge at a
A knight in armour on a horse leaves the castle. His squire has mistakenly lowered the drawbridge 20 degrees below the horizontal. The knight and his horse stop when their combined center of mass are 1 metre from the end of the bridge. The uniform bridge is 8 metres long and has a mass of 2000 kg. The lift cable is attached t
Derive the magnetization and the susceptibility of a system of N non-interacting magnetic dipoles in the presense of an external magnetic field in the high temperature limit.
By evaluating the canonical partition function, derive the magnetization and the susceptibility of a system of N non-interacting magnetic dipoles in the presense of an external magnetic field in the high temperature limit.
Please see the attached file.
13. A bus travels at an average speed of 90 km/h. On average, how far does the bus travel in 20 min? Is this distance the magnitude of the actual displacement of the bus? Explain. 17. A student runs 30 m east, 40 m north, and 50 m west. (a) The magnitude of the student's net displacement is (1) between 0 and 20 m, (2) bet
A corner construction lot has the shape of a right triangle. If the two sides perpendicular to each other are 37 m long and 42.3 m long, respectively, what is the length of the hypotenuse? 75. The lightest solid material is silica aerogel, which has a typical density of only about 3 0.10 g/cm . The mole
A helium-filled balloon is being transported in a car. As the car accelerates away from a stop light, in which direction does the balloon move relative to the car? Thank you!