1. Evaluate the following statement: The overarching purpose of a measurment system should be to help a team, rather than senior managers, gauge its progress. A team's measurment system should primarily be a tool for telling the team when it must take corrective action. 2. The Green Shoe Company is considering going to a pie
BrainMass Solutions Available for Instant Download
1. Discuss the costs and benefits of specialized task assignment relative to broad task assignment. What variables are likely to be particularly important in determining the optimal choice between these two alternatives? 2. Define the following: functional organizations, product organization, geographic organization, matrix o
Do you have an example for me of an important business decision you have made in the past in which the results of your decision turned out poorly. Lets say your manager is concerned and wants to make sure that you learned from this mistake and the likelihood of this happening in the future is minimal. Therefore she would lik
"A " Company, the new parent company of "B" Company, is a large multinational conglomerate. It is an extremely financially well-run company, with an emphasis on short-term, quarterly results. In fact, it is Walden's key value proposition to its stockholders that each quarter's sales and pretax profits will be greater than the pr
Uncle Sal, our intrepid accountant, has recommended the purchase of a small business to his mother, Granny. The small business has the following sales projections: Year Sales in Thousands 1 100 2 150 3 250 4 500 5 1000 Variable costs are as follows:
Expand on your self-evaluation by identifying at least two judgment issues that you had to address...
Think about the business decision you discussed (SEE ATTACHED DOC). Your supervisor had asked that you expand on your self-evaluation by identifying at least two judgment issues that you had to address. Write a memo to your supervisor describing these issues. Explain how you addressed them and the degree to which your decision w
5. Two basketball players, Barbara and Juanita, are the best offensive players on the school's team. They know if they "cooperate" and work together offensively by feeding the ball to each other, providing screens for the other player, and the like, they can each score 12 points. If one player "monopolizes" the offensive ga
Companies often try to manage earnings by recognizing revenue before it is actually earned according to GAAP, or by deferring expenses that have been incurred. For example, to meet the targeted earnings for a specific period. a company may capitalize a cost that should be expensed. Read the following scenario and then decide how
A) CoffeeTime is interested in the coffee-drinking habits of people in India. To obtain this information, we are required to ask subjects: How many cups of coffee have you consumed in the past 30 days? How could this question be modified to provide more accurate data? B) For each of the following, discuss the benefits CoffeeT
2. Xerox sells both copiers and a toner for their copiers. While customers are not required to buy Xerox toner, most do because specified machines use toner only for that machine. The Xerox toner and machines are closely designed and non-Xerox machines produces inferior copies. Evaluate the statement: "Xerox makes 75 percent of
EBay is the world's largest online auction. In late 1999, the service listed over 2,000 categories of items from sports memorabilia to automobiles. In total, eBay hosted more than 2.5 million auctions a day. Sellers pay a few dollars to eBay to list their items. They provide a description of the item, photographs, the minimum ac
Compare and contrast an in-house capacity plan approach versus an outsourced capacity plan approach? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each approach? If you were to advise your company on which approach to take what would you advise and why? How do you feel about using qualitative versus quantitative demand forecas
Need to develop a short "tutorial" on customer satisfaction (with recommendations as applied to your company) in the manufacturing and services industries. Can information/bullets be provided for the following 1. Need to create a 5 - 7 slide presentation. 2. Include a portion regarding how pursuit of customer satisfacti
1) Define the different degrees of price discrimination. Provide one real world example for each. 2) Define the concepts of creating and capturing value. Which is easier to accomplish? 3) Define economies of scope. Provide two real world examples.
Present a good example with detail information supporting both sides of the given argument/debate and recommendation as to how we would implement an SE approach to achieve project success. Project Management topic of debate: Systems Engineering (SE) implementation - Do you need an SE approach within your project? Research
What is the "boiled frog phenomenon"? How does it apply to business and, particularly, strategic management? List an example of a situation where this has occurred? What could the company have done to avoid the effects of the phenomenon?
The Milinder Recycling Company has experienced significant growth over the past two years. Due to this growth, the company is currently encountering problems in the following areas: 1. Especially among new hires, there is an extremely high turnover rate. 2. People who have worked for the company for short periods of tim
The Milinder Recycling Company has experienced significant growth over the past two years. Due to this growth, the company is currently encountering problems in the following areas: Especially among new hires, there is an extremely high turnover rate. People who have worked for the company for short periods of time (sometim
I am having problems with journalizing. 4. (Work Sheet, Balance Sheet, Adjusting and Closing Entries) Noah's Ark has a fiscal year ending on September 30. Selected data from the September 30 work sheet are presented below. NOAH'S ARK WO
1. What four basic conditions characterize a competitve market? 2. The short-run marginal cost of the Ohio Bag Company is 2Q. Price is $100. The company operates in a competitve industry. Currently, the company is producing 40 units per period. What is the optimal short-run output? Calculate the profits that Ohio Bag is losin
Currently, you’re only funding for your business has come from your rich relative. What are the risks involved in this funding situation? If you didn't have a rich relative upon whom to rely for start-up funding, you could have pursued any of the following options: Bank loans Small Business Administration (SBA) programs (
What are the positives of "groupthink" in business? What are the symptoms of groupthink and ways to avoid it from occurring?
Please help answer the following questions. When should you use humor in a presentation? When should you not? Can you think of an example when a presenter used humor in a presentation and it was considered inappropriate? What other factors, such as humor, must be considered when delivering a presentation?
You have just met with the director of purchasing. He has been attempting to reduce his costs by placing fewer orders(but larger)orders for raw materials. You suspect that his dept.'s actions have been contributing to the company's DOS. I need to calculate EOQ/ELS for the following two questions. I need to show the full calc
We are planning an event for next June. If we choose an outdoor venue, we make 350,000 dollars, but if it rains we lose 40,000. If we choose an indoor venue, we make 150,000 rain or not. It rains 1/3 of the night in June. We can buy a forcast for 15,000. The track record of the forcaster is as follows: When rain predicted:
For clarity, please answer each question in detail. 1. How might the Internet job sites impact on the unemployment rate? 2. If there is an impact, what type of unemployment may be affected?
You will be a member of the newly-formed project staff team. This team will need to realize process gains within its first three months. You want to help, not hinder, the team's progress, so you decide to do some research upfront. You bring up your challenge at your managerial networking meeting. You pose the following questions
What are the differences in Leadership at Green River and FMC Aberdeen? Will work groups & teams work at Green River, why or why not? How does the communication process differ between Green River and Aberdeen? Could Green River effectively use the unique communication process adopted by Aberdeen?
Use Harvard Business School Case "Pilkington Float Glass-1955" ID # 9-695-024 Examines the development of the float glass process at Pilkington in the mid-1950s. Pilkington has pursued the development of a radically new process for flat glass production, but has experienced serious problems at each stage of development. The
Help identify some of the challenges of manageing a virtual (remote) team. Please elaborate.