How does one graph the following? 5 y= - --- x^2 4
1. State the key features (vertex, focus, directrix, direction of opening, and axis of symmetry) of each parabola, and sketch the graph. a) ysquared-2x+4y-7=0 2. Find the equation of each parabola. a) parabola with focus (-2,-1) and directrix y=5 b) ysquared=-6x translated according to ((x,y)arrow(x-2, y+4)
Find the imaginary solutions to each equation. 3y^2 + 8=0
See attached file for full problem description. Find the interval on which the function 2 2 ( ) ( 2) ( 3) f x x x = − + is increasing and decreasing. Sketch the graph of y = f(x), and identify any local maxima and minima. Any global extrema should also be identified.
Question 1 Consider the functions f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = square root of x, both with domain and co-domain R+, the set of positive real numbers. Are f and g inverse functions? Give a brief reason. Question 2 Given the Hamming distance function f: A X A -> Z defined on pairs of 8-bit strings, (where A is the set o
Refer to the graph given (attached) and identify the graph that represents the corresponding function. Justify your answer. y = 2x y = log2x
Solve equations with radicals and exponents and create graphs of functions. See attached file for full problem description.
Show that a function f is measurable IF AND ONLY IF there exists a sequence (f_m) of set functions such that f(x)=lim f_m(x) for almost all x. Please make sure to show the proof in both directions.
Given the table below, graph the function, identify the graph of the function (line, parabola, hyperbola, or exponential), explain your choice, and give the domain and range as shown in the graph, and also the domain and range of the entire function. x -2 -1 0 1 2 y .111 .333 1 3 9 See attachment
1. The number of 4-year college, public and private, in the period 1980-1996 can be modeled by f(x)=0.0003x^3 - 0.007x^2+0.058x+1.957 0 less than or equal to X less then or equal to 16 Where X is the number of years since 1980 and f(x) is the number of 4-year colleges measured in thousands. Determine the average number
For the function, y = ___1____ x - 2 a) Give the y values for x = -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3. Answer: Show work in this space. b) Using these points, draw a curve. Show graph here.
In the real world, what might be a situation where it is preferable for the data to form a relation but not a function?
In the real world, what might be a situation where it is preferable for the data to form a relation but not a function? I found the formula that converts temperature in degrees Celsius to temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. It gave me the following data points: Fahrenheit Celsius Freezing point of water 32 0 Boiling po
1. In the real world, what might be a situation where it is preferable for the data to form a relation but not a function? 2. There is a formula that converts temperature in degrees Celsius to temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. You are given the following data points: Fahrenheit Celsius Freezing point of water 32 0 Bo
Graph the function using the equation in part a. Explain why it is not necessary to plot points to graph when using y = a(x - h)^2 + k.
Graph the function using the equation in part a. Explain why it is not necessary to plot points to graph when using y = a (x - h) 2 + k. Using the vertex, x-intercept and y intercept The vertex x=h split the graph into two halves. So, drawing the vertical line x=3 and graph. On the graph the curve turn at the vertex ( 3,-
Solve the following equations for the unknown. 1. 5x = 20 2. 7x - 3 = 18 Graph the following equations; calculate the slope, x-intercept, and y-intercept, and label the intercepts on the graph. 3. y = x + 3 4. y = -2x - 7 5. 2x + 3y = 9 6. A consumer electronics c
Understanding the Ellipses, Parabolas, Hyperbolas from basics to more advanced level- all in one assignment!
1 The equation xsquared + ysquared =1 represents an ellipse. ________ ________ 25 169 a) State the lengths of the major and the minor axes. b) State the x-intercepts and y-intercepts. c) Find the coordinates of loci. d) Find the points of intersectio
Draw two break-even graphs-one for a conservative firm using labor-intensive production and another for a capital-intensive firm. Assuming these companies compete within the same industry and have identical sales, explain the impact of changes in sales volume on both firms' profits. Although no example is provided in the
Using the index of a sequence as the domain and the value of the sequence as the range, is a sequence a function? Include the following in your answer: 1. Which one of the basic functions (linear, quadratic, rational, or exponential) is related to the arithmetic sequence? 2. Which one of the basic functions (linear, quadrat
1. Graph line with equation y=-4x-2. 2. 2x=8y=17=0 3. Graph the line with slope -2 passing through the point (-3,4). 4. Find slope of the line graphed (-44, 28) (9, -12). 5. x=9 graph the line 6. 6x-9y+7=0. 7. 2x=5y+3 8. Write an equation of line (0, -4). 9. A line passes through the point (6, -6
1. f(x) = x^3 + x^2 - 4x - 4. (a) What is the end behavior of this function? (Does it go up or down to the left? Does it go up or down the right?) (b) What is the maximum number of turning points for this function? 2. Give the coordinates of the vertex of the parabola y = (x + 2)^2 + 5. 3. Use Descartes's Rule of Sig
1. Simplify the expression using properties of exponents. Answer should contain positive exponents only. (3x^2y^3)^2(3xy)^2 / (2x^4y^3)^-3 2. Solve for X: 3/x - 1/x+2 = -2/3x+6 3. Use the quadratic formula to solve for x: x^2 -4x + 2 = 0 4. Solve for x by factoring: x^3 + x^2 - 6x =
1) An open-top box is to be constructed from a 6 by 8 foot rectangular cardboard by cutting out equal squares at each corner and the folding up the flaps. Let x denote the length of each side of the square to be cut out. a) Find the function V that represents the volume of the box in terms of x. Answer b) Graph th
(See attached file for full problem description) Conjecture: Suppose that m and n are positive integers. If gcd(m,n)=1, then . a. If m and n are positive integers and k is any integer, show that gcd(k,mn)=1 if and only if gcd(k,m)=1 and gcd(k,n)=1. b. Suppose gcd(m,n)=1. Prove that establishes a bijection between
Think of one real situation that involves exponential growth and that involves exponential decay. for each example, your project should include the following: * Paragraph - Briefly explain the situation. You may make up your own information, but make it realistic. Include the facts needed to write an equation. * Equation -
One of the civil engineers you interviewed for your article works for a company which specializes in bridge construction projects. In the process of designing suspension bridges, they must account for many variables in the modeling. Some of these variables include the bridge span; the force of the typical water currents wearing
When using the quadratic formula to solve a quadratic equation (ax2 + bx + c = 0), the discriminant is b2 - 4ac. This discriminant can be positive, zero, or negative. Create three unique equations where the discriminant is positive, zero, or negative. For each case, explain what this value means to the graph of y = ax2 + bx +
(See attached file for full problem description with equations) --- 1) Solve the following equations. a) Answer: Show work in this space. b) . Answer: Show work in this space. c) . Answer: Show work in this space. 2) Is an identity (true for all values of x)? Answer:
Assume that f is differentiable for each x and there exists M>0 such that for each x Prove that f is uniformly continuous on D. Hint: Can use the mean value theorem. keywords: differentiability, continuity
Suppose that X and Y are finite sets, with m and n elements respectively. Suppose further that the function f : X → Y is one-to-one and the function g : X →Y is onto. (i) Use the function f to show that m ≤ n. (ii) Use the function g to show that m ≥ n. (iii) Is f : X → Y onto? Justify your assertion. (iv) Is th
Decide whether the relation is a function. 1- (6,5), (4,3), (-2,3), (0,-1) , (-1,2), (-4,-5), (-3,4) 2- (4,4), (3,3), (-1,1), (6,6), (1,-2) make an input-output table for the function rule. Use a domain of -10,-5,0,5, and 10. Identify the range. y=8x+1 y=-6x y=x square 2+5 write a function that relates and x and