Explore BrainMass

Explore BrainMass

    Risk Management

    Risk management is the process of identifying and analyzing the possibilities of financial risk and monitoring and controling the possibility of these risks occurring. Financial risks can be project failures, accidents, uncertainty in markets, and legal liabilities. To manage these risks, one can organize a way to avoid these risks, transfer risks to another party, or just accept the consequences of taking risks¹.

    In financial risk management, a firm will use financial tools and methods to determine and manage exposure to credit and market risks.

    In risk management, risks are first prioritized by severity and by which are more likely to occur and handled first. Risks are ordered in this way so that the least severe risks and risks with the least likelihood of occurring are treated last. Risk management has to deal with the allocation of resources, which follows the idea of opportunity cost. This is because the resources that are spent on risk management could have been spent somewhere else that would have increased profit. This reduces the amount of spending and minimizes the possibility of risk as well as reduces the negative affects of risks if they were to occur.

    The most commonly used formula for risk quantification is: probability/rate of occurrence multiplied the impact of event equals risk magnitude¹. A composite risk index rewrites that formula as: composite risk index equals impact of risk event multiplied by the probability of occurrence¹. The impact of the risk event and probability of occurrence is assessed on a scale of one to five.

    Risks are treated in risk management by either avoiding the risk by not being involved with the project; reducing the risk by mitigation; transferring or outsourcing the risk; or retention, which is accepting and budgeting for the risk².



    1. Hubbard, Douglas (2009). The Failure of Risk Management: Why It's Broken and How to Fix It. John Wiley & Sons.

    2. Dorfman, Mark S. (2007). Introduction to Risk Management and Insurance (9 ed.). Englewood Cliffs, N.J: Prentice Hall. 

    © BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com May 29, 2020, 9:51 am ad1c9bdddf

    BrainMass Solutions Available for Instant Download

    Deep financial statement analysis- Tech Data Corporation

    I have to develop a deep financial statement analysis as described in the outline uploaded. I can provide information related to the company, the authorized source for obtaining the company financial statements are: Standard and Poor's, Moody, or SEC. or the one that I can provide sourced from my school database. there has t

    Managing Operating Exposure

    What would be the most important principles of managing operating exposure from the perspective of a financier? What are some examples (that are not Market Selection, Pricing Strategy, Product Strategy, Input Mix, Shifting production among plants, Plant location, raising productivity, Planning for Exchange Rate Changes, or Fi

    Risk and Return in the Market Place

    1. Calculate the weighted average beta of the portfolio of stocks. 2. Determine if and how the portfolio construction would change by using an alternative asset allocation strategy Economics questions QUESTION 1A with examples to reinforce your ideas. Derivatives Choose a publicly traded company, and discuss the u

    Challenges related to managing a global project

    What are some cultural considerations when managing a global project? How might legal and political implications influence global project selection? What are some logistical challenges related to managing a global project?

    Global Financial Management

    Acme is also considering the acquisition of a firm in the Czech Republic and would like your opinion on this. It plans to operate the firm for 3 years and then reevaluate the holding. Free Cash flows are estimated as follows: â?¢Year 1 - 38.63M Czech Koruna (CZK), Year 2 - 44.33 M CZK, â?¢Year 3 - 50.48M CZK â?¢T

    Calculating the Expected YTM

    Int'l Tiles is a rapidly growing firm. The firm has grown so fast that its management is considering the issuance of a five-year interest only note. The notes would have a principal amount of $1000 and pay 12% interest each year, with the principal amount due at the end of year 5. The firm's investment banker has agreed to he

    Investment Fundamentals and Portfolio Management: return on stock, holding-period return on investment, margin account, market price per share, value of stock, expected return of the portfolio, beta of the portfolio, CAPM, value of options at expiration Whopie, market to book value ratio, earnings multiple, Elvis Alive Corporation,

    1. John Smith has been reviewing the stock of ABC. John has estimated that the stock will have the following possible returns and probabilities: Return Probability -0.15 0.10 -0.05 0.20 0.05 0.35 0.15 0.25 0.25 0.10 a. Compute the expected return on ABC stock. b. Compute the standard deviation of returns on A

    Compare Companies Two Most Fiscal Years

    I need help as financial statements, math, and ratios are greek to me. I need to pull together about 200 words...not a lot on the topics below from the financial statements provided via the links. Can you please help me understand and show how to figure the profitability and ratios in a way that I can understand? we are thinkin

    Comparing Kraft Foods and General Mills on Key Financial Analysis Metrics

    Identify and provide a detailed explanation of which company (Kraft Foods and General Mills) has been better managed from the perspectives of profitability, asset utilization, risk management, & cash flow management for the years ending 2004, 2005, and 2006. Please provide references for the data for further analysis.

    Ratio Analysis

    Using Kraft Foods Inc. and General Mills perform a ratio analysis for Return on equity, return on assets ratio, and payout ratio for the two most recent fiscal years and analyze the results based on the following: a. Operating profitability b. Asset utilization c. Risk Management

    Payback Period, IRR

    The management of Kitchen Shop is thinking of buying a new drill press to aid in adapting parts for different machines. The press is expected to save Kitchen Shop $8,000 per year in costs. However, Kitchen Shop has an old punch machine that isn't worth anything on the market and that will probably last indefinitely. The new pres

    International Risk Management

    A leader in your firm has been studying the foreign exchange market for a number of years and believes that she can predict several of the foreign currency exchange rates relative to the U.S. dollar. The firm has $150,000 to invest in the spot, forward, or options markets. The spot rate is $1.2622 to the euro, and in 12 months w

    Economics and management

    3. A perfectly competitive firm has total revenue and total cost curves given by: TR = 100Q TC = 5000 + 2Q + 0.2Q^2 (a) Find the profit-maximizing output for the firm (b) What profit does the firm make? 4. Mergers result in an increased economic efficiency. Discuss the economic justification (i.e., incentives) for a

    Core Economic Management

    Based on Normative and Empirical Economics what are the core economic management considerations for a Medical Imaging (Radiology) staffing agency for Community, Rural and Regional Hospitals in staffing their needs for Imaging Technologists (X-ray and Ultrasound Technologis)ts? What are the Economic Industrial Strategies?

    Expected profits of introducing a new product

    A risk-averse manager is considering two projects. The first is to introduce a new product; the second is to revamp the production facilities at the existing plant. There is a 20 percent chance a rival will enter the market and an 80 percent chance it will not. If the rival enters, the firm will lose $20,000 if it introduces the

    Quantitative Decison making for business - Management Science

    1. A chemical company is building a plant to market Zircag, a new chemical used primarily in agriculture. The firm is uncertain about the demand for Zircag during the initial year of sales. However, the following probability distribution was assessed. Demand for Zircag for Initial Year (kilograms) Probability 800 0.2 1