You are the manager of the production department, and the project manager will come from your group. This will be a first, as normally the project managers come from the marketing department. You need to assess the various people in your group and identify the person with the best skills. You will start by creating a job description for the position, focusing on the skills needed.
List skills that are needed by the project manager for that phase. Craft a high-level job posting that identifies the responsibilities, the skills required, and the experiences needed.
Please see the attached file.
PROJECT MANAGER SKILLS
PROJECT LIFE CYCLE
The Project Life Cycle refers to a logical sequence of activities to accomplish the project's goals or objectives. Regardless of scope or complexity, any project goes through a series of stages during its life. The Project Life Cycle can be divided into five phases:
- Define: This is the phase of the project where the project concept as a need solution is evaluated, selected, and defined.
- Plan: This is the phase of the project where the concept is verified and developed into a workable plan for implementation.
- Launch: This is the phase of the project where certain management activities are carried out to ensure that the project is established with clear reference terms and substantial management structure.
- Manage: This is the phase of the project where the implementation plan is carried out.
- Close: This is the phase of the project where the project process is completed and documented, and the finished product is transferred to the care, custody, and control of the owner.
In most cases and methodologies the launching/managing phases listed above are usually combined. The following table summarizes the various tasks involved in each phase.
Project Life Cycle Activity Tasks Skills
Concept (where the project concept is selected and defined) User Need
System Performance Design Gather Data
Select management Team
Get Approvals Sense of Vision
Development (where the concept is verified and developed into a workable plan for implementation) General System Review
Process Requirements Identification
Design Specification Preparation Feasibility Studies/Budgeting
Set Project Team
Determine if it's a go/no go Leader
Implementation (where the implementation plan is carried out) Implementation Planning
Computer Program Design
Equipment Acquisition & Installation
Coding and Debugging
Computer Program and System Testing
User Acceptance Review Start-up
Determine technical Requirements
Resolve Issues Team Leader
People & Task Oriented
Closeout (where the project process is completed and documented and the finished product is transferred to the care, custody and control of the owner) System Changeover
System Performance Evaluation
System Changes/Enhancements Reviews and Acceptances
Your tutorial is 1,578 words and 12 references. It includes discussion of the product life cycle (including activities, tasks and skills), how to be an effective project manager, skills needed for various phases of a project, and a job posting created exemplifying these skills.