Please assist me with the following:
First, write one or two paragraphs in which you do the following:
a. Describe the major provisions of the Taft-Hartley Act.
b. Explain the role of the National Labor Relations Board.
c. Analyze the effect of right to work laws on union membership.
d. Evaluate the role that Human Resources play in collective bargaining initiatives.
Second, evaluate the conditions in product and service markets that lead to collective bargaining. Choose five industries, some that are characterized by collective bargaining and some that are not. What are the key characteristics of collective bargaining industries? What are the key characteristics of the industries that are not collectively bargained? What does this suggest about an organization?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com August 18, 2018, 4:01 am ad1c9bdddf
The response addresses the queries posted in 2293 words with references.
//As your query relates to collective bargaining, you should develop an understanding of collective bargaining. Collective bargaining is related to some provisions and acts. For your query, you should define Taft-Hartley Act, National Labor Relation Board, union membership and use of collective bargaining. In the first part of this assignment, I will provide you an overview on these points. //
Taft-Hartley Act is a federal law that was enacted in 1947 according to which there are some forbidden union practices that need to be improved in the union revelation of the financial as well as political dealings. It is also known as the Labor Management Relations Act of 1947. With the increase of strikes in the company, this act came into existence. Some amendments were made in the Taft act according to the Wagner Act and further created its own principles for the union as well as the management.
The major provisions of the act were:
1. Provision was that just as the Wagner Act declared, the unions are required to bargain with the employees fairly and in good faith.
2. Before going on a strike, the unions are required to give written notice. If the national interest of the company is threatened by a strike, then the president could request to delay the strike for 80 days.
3. Any work practices carried out by the unions are planned and forbidden. These practices include the denial to bargain in good faith, effort to cause an employer to differentiate between the employees because of employee's refusal to join a union and the charging of excessive fee and dues from the union.
4. For any actions done by the members, unions could be sued and held legally and equally responsible.
5. Provision of secondary boycotts is a situation when a union doesn't want to handle a product or a business, which is handled by the non- union stores or shops, involves in the prohibited job action.
6. Financial assistance to the political operations was not allowed.
7. It emphasized that all the employees should not join a union and should not participate in a collective action.
8. It is required that the labor unions desired to use the facilities of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), should file certain organizational and financial data with NLRB.
9. It is essential for the officers of the union to have the certificates which show that they are not the members of the Communist party.
10. There is a provision to check off the union dues without any written approval of the employees. (Major Union Legislation)
// In the following paragraph, I will provide you an overview about National Labor Relations Board. //
(b) Role of the National Labor Relations Board:
The National Labor Relations Board was formed in the year 1935 by Congress. It is an independent federal agency which is created to administer the National Labor Relations Act. The National Labor Relations Act is the primary law which is formulated to govern the relations between unions and employers in the private sector. The law guarantees the right of employees to organize and to bargain collectively with their employers and to engage in the other protected concerted activity with or without a union or to refrain from all such activities.
The board has a power to settle the labor disputes and to implement its decision in the federal courts. It is governed by five member board and a General Counsel and all of them are appointed by the president with consent. Members are appointed for the term of 5 years and the General Counsel is appointed for 4 years. General Counsel acts as a prosecutor and the board acts as a judiciary body for the decisions of the administrative body.
In the board, charges are filled by the parties against unions with the appropriate regional office. The regional office investigates the complaint. Board's decisions are reviewable by US court of appeal. Decisions ...
2257 Words, APA Format