Multinational market groups have developed due to the perception that cooperation among neighboring countries is beneficial for all members of the group. To date, multinational market groups have had varying degrees of success. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is of interest to Americans as it impacts small business enterprise.
Respond to all of the following prompts: In preparation for this discussion, conduct internet research on NAFTA. Locate a current analysis of how successful it has been in accomplishing its goals.
- Has NAFTA achieved its stated goals?
- How well are the provisions being met today?
- Do you believe NAFTA is a success? Why or why not?
Support your responses with reasoning and research.
Before you can respond intelligently to this discussion you must understand what the objective or goals of the North American Free Trade Agreement are. They are as follows:
1. To eliminate barriers to trade and to facilitate the cross border movement of goods and services between territories.
2. To promote fair competition in the free trade area.
3. To provide effective and adequate enforcement of intellectual property rights and protection in each territory.
4. To create procedures that are effective for both implementation and application of the agreement for joint administration and resolution of disputes.
5. To establish a framework for further trilateral, regional and multilateral cooperation in order to expand and enhance the benefits of the agreement.
Simply put the primary goals of the NAFTA would be to decrease barriers to trade, increase cooperation for the improvement of working conditions in North America, create a safe market for both goods and services produced in North America; to establish both clear and mutually advantageous trade rules and to assist in the development and expansion of world trade providing a catalyst to much broader international cooperation.
Now that we have a basic understanding of the goals it is a ...
This response gives some insight into what NAFTA is all about - it's goals; provisions and success or lack thereof. Includes 6 references, and 659 words.