Crohn disease is a chronic disease that has periods of remission and relapse. It is an inflammation and ulceration process that occurs in deep layers of the intestinal wall. The common area affected is the lower part of the small intestine, called the ileum, and the first part of the colon. The type of Crohn's disease is called ileocolitis. Crohn's disease can affect any part of the upper gastrointestinal tract. Aphthous ulcers, which are similar to cold sores. Ulcers can occur in esophagus, stomach and upper small intestine (duodenum).
Thus, the nutritionist may prescribe higher calorie and protein foods and liquid supplements. Those with Crohn's disease may improve nutritionist support and it may be necessary to provide nutrition by delivering a nutrient rich liquid formula directly into stomach or small bowel. Known as enteral nutrition, this type of feeding is given overnight through tube and mostly from nose to the ...
This library entry discusses Crohn's disease and the dietary patterns that are appropriate for patients.
Nutrition - Vitamins give you energy. True or False?
1. Vitamins give you energy. o True o False Why?
2. British sailors are called "Limeys" because they ate
limes while at sea to prevent scurvy. o True o False Why?
3. Cooking does not affect the vitamin content of foods.o True o False
4. If some of a vitamin is good, more is better. o True o False Why?
5. Only fat-soluble vitamins can cause toxic reactions. o True o False
6. Vitamin C can cure the common cold. o True o False Why?
7. Niacin supplements are used to lower blood cholesterol. o True o False Why?
8. Milk stored in clear glass bottles will have less riboflavin
than milk stored in cardboard cartons. oTrue oFalse Why?
9. A woman who takes folic acid supplements before she
becomes pregnant can reduce the risk of birth defects. o True
o False Why?
10. Vitamin B12 is only found in animal products. o True o False Why?
11. Vitamin K can be made by bacteria in the o True o False Why?
12. Vitamin D is not always needed in the diet. o True o False Why?
13. A high intake of beta-carotene will o True o False Why?
turn your skin yellow or orange.
14. Certain people need vitamin supplements o True o False Why?
to meet their needs.
15. Lifestyle choices can prevent oxidative damage o True o False Why?View Full Posting Details