This is my lesson plan. I need an assessment to go with it. Could you please help me with the assessment on this lesson plan? I have messed around and waited until the last second. I have two more lesson plans I am working on and they are due today. This would help me a lot. I was messing around with using this for the assessment. Assessment: Monitor students to determine if they can: consistently and successfully self-monitor their understanding of text as they read and complete the questions. I know I would need more for the assessment. Not sure about giving homework. If I am confusing you please ask. Please do not copy and paste. I just need help on making my assessment for this lesson plan. Thank you.
Subjects: English Language Arts
Topic: Monitoring Comprehension
Time required: 30-45 minutes
Objective: Students will increase their comprehension through self monitoring
The story Flat Stanley will be read as a part of the shared reading lesson. The comprehension strategy that the students will focus on during the lesson is the monitoring strategy. During the reading process, the teacher models the monitoring techniques that require the readers to ask themselves questions when they feel there is a comprehension issue, shift to problem-solving mode in order to figure out the meaning of word. In order to learn more about a topic in the text, they will be able to narrow down a confusing part, reread the text, or even ask the teacher for additional help.
This lesson is geared to the comprehension strategy of monitoring. The students will use the monitoring strategy to better understand and comprehend what they are reading.
1. The teacher and the students will read the book together in class.
2. The teacher will have a question from the worksheet written on the white board as an example.
3. The class will read together and, at the designated stopping point, the teacher will ask the first question, the one
written on the white board. The teacher will ask the students to raise their hand if they know the answer.
4. The students are encouraged to use sticky notes to write themselves questions and write down the words they do not know. They are encouraged to raise their hands when they need further clarification about what is being read.
5. When the reading has concluded, give each student the handout and have the student fill it out. The students may use their sticky notes and review the chapter to find the answers.
Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown
Chapter Questions Name ___________________________
You may use your book to answer these questions. Write your answers on a separate piece of paper.
1. What was Stanley's problem?
2. How did Stanley feel?
3. What did they do before they went to the doctor?
4. Did the doctor know how to help him?
5. Why did Mrs. Lambchop measure Stanley?
Write a brief summary of the chapter in your writing journal
1. Did Stanley like being flat?
2. Was Arthur (brother) jealous of Stanley?
3. Write 3 or 4 sentences to tell how Stanley helped his mother in chapter 2.
4. What toy did the police think Mrs. Lambchop was playing with?
5. Why did Stanley go to California?
6. How did Stanley go to California?
7. Why didn't he go on a plane or a train?
8. What two things did Mrs. Lambchop put in the envelope with Stanley?
9. What did Stanley's friend Thomas Jeffrey write on the envelope when he
Write a summary of the chapter in your writing journal.
Homework: Write as if you were Flat Stanley and what it felt like to be in an envelope and what kind of ride he had.
Standards & Assessments:
NC- North Carolina Standard Course of Study
Subject: English Language Arts
Grade: Second Grade
Goal 2: The learner will develop and apply strategies and skills to comprehend text that is read, heard, and ...
Standard 2.03 : Read expository materials for answers to specific questions
Standard 2.05 : Self-monitor own difficulties in comprehending independently using several strategies
Standard 2.06 : Recall facts and details from a text
I love Flat Stanley and he's universal! Your assessment should directly reflect what is in your Standard Course of Study and Pacing Guide. Those reviewing the lesson plans will cross-check the standards you have included, when reviewing the assessment.
Here are some ideas.
The learner will develop and apply strategies and skills to comprehend text that is read/ heard.
1. Through discussion, and a teacher-made checklist, key vocabulary words and concepts will be reviewed. As question/answer discussion takes place in small groups, the teacher will check off content he hears, as he walks around to each group.
2. Through discussion, and teacher-made checklist, key vocabulary words and concepts will be reviewed. As question/answer discussion takes place in the whole class, oral ...
Vocabulary words, oral quiz and other assessment for a Flat Stanley lesson are discussed.