2. Margins should be one inch on:
a. The left side.
b. All four sides.
c. Top and left side only.
5. Papers should be double spaced using a one-half inch indent for the first line of each new paragraph.
6. In MLA format, pages are numbered in the:
a. Bottom center.
b. Top center.
c. Right upper corner.
d. Right upper corner with the author's last name.
e. Bottom left.
9. Quotations should be indented if they are:
a. Really important.
b. Longer than 40 words.
c. Five lines or more.
d. Fewer than 40 words.
11. Guidelines for headings include which of the following:
a. Create an outline of your document to plan your headings.
b. Keep headings as short as possible.
c. Word headings consistently, (e.g., use all questions, all phrases with nouns, or all phrases with -ing verbs).
d. All of the above.
3. The difference between magazines and journals lies primarily in their:
c. Frequency of issue.
d. All of the above.
8. To avoid plagiarism, you must acknowledge which of the following:
a. Your independent material.
b. Common knowledge.
c. Other people's independent material.
d. Common sense observations.
13. The way to avoid plagiarism is to:
a. Use quotation marks and cite the source.
b. Paraphrase and still cite the source.
c. Acknowledge the source of any words, facts, or ideas of others.
d All of the above.
15. You may need to add interpretive words when integrating borrowed material into your text, such as "Researcher Marty Bernstein claims . . .." The appropriate tense for such writing is:
d.Present progressive tense.
7. You should use direct/verbatim quotations as much as possible.
11. In a paper formatted in MLA style, the list of sources at the end of the paper is titled:
a. Works Cited.
c. Works Consulted.
13. MLA style requires the use of footnotes.
14. You should cite in the text any information gained through interviews, and include it in your list of sources at the end of the paper.
(NOTE: Use the information below to answer questions 15-17.)
Title (book): American Architecture
Author: Maxine Shaw
Publisher: Hines Publishing
San Francisco, CA
Date Published: 1999
15. Indicate how you would format an in-text citation, in MLA style, for the above source. The author is not named in your text.
16. Indicate how you would format an in-text citation, in MLA style, for the above source when the source quotes someone else named Adams (an indirect quotation). Adams is named in the text.
17. Indicate how you would format the above source at the end of your paper (in MLA style).© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 1, 2020, 7:38 pm ad1c9bdddf
APA Formatting Questions