1. What challenges will you face in a negotiation if you are an external and your opponent is an internal? What steps could you take to approach the negotiation proactively?
2. What role does passive listening play in negotiation? Give an example of a situation where passive listening would be more appropriate than active or attentive listening. Provide a rationale for your response. You can search books, journals, articles, or the Internet for more information.
3. What role does active listening play in negotiation? Give an example of a situation where active listening would be more appropriate than passive or attentive listening. Provide a rationale for your response.
4. Give an example of a negotiation where communicating aggressively will be beneficial to a negotiation. Give an example of a negotiation where communicating passively will be beneficial to a negotiation. Make sure to include the pros and cons of each, and discuss the barriers to communication which are associated with each.
Your response should be at least 200 words in length for each. You are required to use at least your textbook as source material for your response. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations.
1. One of the challenges that I would face in negotiation if I am external and my opponent is internal, is seeking to find common ground between our two negotiation belief systems, so that we can at least communicate with one another in a civil and efficient manner. Another challenge that I would face is seeking to get my opponent to understand that a combination of internal and external negotiation is necessary for us to reach an agreement that would be profitable for each of us. A third challenge that I would face in this situation is disciplining myself to trade minds with my internal opponent in order to understand his or her perspective on the negotiations process, in order to be to develop offers that will have a higher probability of being accepted by the individual. One of the first steps that I would take in order to approach the negotiations proactively, would be to make a settlement offer that will be beneficial to me as well as my opponent. Another step that I would take would be to openly ask my opponent what the basic outcomes are that they desire from this negotiations process, which will provide me with a foundation from which to start the negotiations process with this individual. It would also be pertinent to be very cordial, respectful, and professional when negotiating with this internal individual.
2. Passive listening plays a very important role in negotiation, largely due to the fact that this form of listening allows ...