Human Resources Management Article Critique
Use the CSU Online Library to locate and review a scholarly article found in a peer reviewed journal related to: Unions, Labor Relations, or International Human Resources Management.
- Begin with an introduction that defines the subject of your critique and your point of view. You will first need to identify and explain the author's ideas. Include specific passages that support your description of the author's point of view.
- Defend your point of view by raising specific issues or aspects of the argument. Offer your own opinion. Explain what you think about the argument. Describe several points with which you agree or disagree.
- Explain how the passages support your opinion.
- Conclude your critique by summarizing your argument and re-emphasizing your opinion.
- For each of the points you mention, include specific passages from the text (you may summarize, quote, or paraphrase) that provide evidence for your point of view.
The author of the article holds that labor unions place constrains on the operations of firms and these constraints drive up the cost of equity. The author has carried out the study in which he claims that he has controlled industry and firm characteristics. He claims that his results are not affected by omitted variables.
My opinion is that cost of equity is related to several other factors apart from the extent of unionization. These factors include the competence and reputation of management, profitability, the market potential of the industry, research and development costs, and level of competition in the industry. The business environment relevant to the industry, the past experience of investors in the industry, and the potential outlook for the industry is also likely to affect the cost of equity. Also in my opinion the degree of unionization does not adversely affect operational flexibility.
Defense of my viewpoint:
The defense of my viewpoint is that the author considers some factors such as industry characteristics, research & development expenses, advertising expenses, asset growth rate, and profitability. However, he has not been successful in eliminating effects of other important factors from his data. There are other factors that ...
The response provides you a structured explanation of a peer reviewed journal article. It also gives you the relevant references.