After reading the Buttner, Lowe, and Billings-Harris (2010) article on diversity and promise fulfillment by organizations, discuss your thoughts on how organizations, and your organization in particular, can use this information to better understand, manage, and leverage diversity to achieve strategic human resource goals. Your response to this should include at least two outside references and provide a solid overview of your understanding of the issue of diversity.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 17, 2018, 12:03 pm ad1c9bdddf
I have outlined a response for you. You should add your own information, from texts, lectures, and other sources where necessary.
Diversity can come in many forms including ethnicity, gender, color, and age. Companies must address this issue to have successful employee interactions and increased productivity. This article highlights the issues of diversity and helping all people in the organization feel accepted and respected.
As a theory, social interaction is the most often cited as how to manage the field of diversity. In this article, social exchange theory is also noted. How the management approaches diversity through its structure and culture has much to do with how it is handled in the behaviors among workers. However, it is not just the actual behaviors or cultural expectations creating ...
An overview of the subject of diversity using the assigned article. Other references included.
Questions on the nature of human resource management regarding layoffs, productivity, motivation, social media, recruiting, and diversity. APA formatted references are included. Examples are cited.
1. What are your thoughts on how organizations, and your organization in particular, can use the information in the article on diversity (Attached) to better understand, manage, and leverage diversity to achieve strategic human resource goals.
2. Some believe the HR department exists to further the interests of the employees to management, while others feel it exists primarily to further the interests of the company by giving professional counsel to management. Which position is correct? Why?
3. Most organizations find themselves in a flurry of recruiting activity after determining a need or having a job opening. Others often find that their recruiting efforts are not really recruiting at all but rather sorting resumes. Organizations that recognize the need for change, plan on growth and development, and prepare a strategic recruiting plan seem to be those that are most ready to thrive during times of economic uncertainty. Read the study on strategic recruiting in Ireland (Attached) and provide a critical analysis of the article to include:
a. How does this article compare with your own organizations current strategic recruiting practices
b. Discuss how you might implement the findings of this study into your organizations strategic plan for recruiting individuals.
c. Does the articles conclusions seem sound based on your own experience?
4. If a company needs to layoff because of declining sales, should it layoff personnel based on merited performance or based on seniority? Why? How?
5. Motivation and productivity seem to have a pretty strong relationship. The arguments can go back and forth and whether productivity contributes to motivation or does motivation contribute to productivity? Read the attached article on job satisfaction. What strategic initiatives can your current organization take to improve employee involvement? How would you measure success of such an initiative?
6. Which HR values should be a primary focus in a management training course for supervisors?
7. Research the controversial HR practice of checking a job candidate's social media sites as part of the selection process. Using at least one article, provide a summary.
8. What should be an HR strategy to best motivate employees to performance excellence? Should HR's strategy be the same in a for-profit company as it would be in a not-for-profit organization?
9. Read the article on innovation and strategy (Attached). It discusses several methods and indicators of quality and strategy when linked to strategic human resource management. Answer the following questions:
a. Considering all of your course work, which of the 5 pillars of HR (selection, compensation, training, safety, and EEO) do you think might be most impacted by a quality methodology?
b. What key aspects of this article do you think you can apply most to your current organization?
c. What has changed in our economy that might make this article of limited use?
All of the required articles are attached.View Full Posting Details