From your own experience, describe a situation in which you were involved for which the conflict was dysfunctional. Describe another example, from your experience, for which the conflict was functional. Now analyze how other parties in both conflicts might have interpreted the situation in terms of whether the conflicts were functional or dysfunctional.
Please include this criteria:
- Draw on your work experiences, or alternately, use experiences from your personal or family life, or from clubs or other non-work-related organizations.
- Describe the functional and dysfunctional conflict, and also the roles, responsibilities, and reactions of the people involved.
- Take some time to describe what each conflict was about and why you think it happened. Provide as many details as possible.
- Identify whether each conflict was a task, relationship, or process conflict.
- Relay how the conflict was solved, if at all.
Post 200 to 300 word response. Thanks.
Let us first see a functional conflict scenario. The situation occurred in my personal life. I am a resident of India and I was planning to do my MBA from a leading university in Australia, as foreign degree is of great value in India. However, my family members were not convinced of my decision to go to Australia, and persuaded me to consider other options as well, such as universities in UK and USA that were rated much higher than colleges in Australia. I did not want to consider universities in USA and UK because they had stringent admission requirements as compared to colleges in Australia.
However, this conflict turned out to be functional and thus, beneficial for me because this conflict led me to evaluate more options in the USA and UK which, in turn, ...