DNA & RNA
10.In "C" we mutated one letter. What role do you think the redundancy of the genetic code plays, in light of this change?
11.Based on your observations, why do you suppose the mutations we made in "D" and "E" are called frame shift mutations.
12.Which mutations do you suspect have the greatest consequence? Why?
1. Which DNA bases pair with each other?
2. How is information to make proteins passed through generations?
3. Why do we use a salt in the extraction solution?
4. What else might be in the ethanol/aqueous interface? How could you eliminate this?
5. What is the texture and consistency of DNA?
6. Is the DNA soluble in the aqueous solution or alcohol?
7. What surprised you about DNA replication and protein synthesis?
This solution includes detailed explanations for two specific problem sets. Students will find explanations specific to an activity focused on mutations as well as a DNA extraction activity.