- Do you see more qualitative or quantitative approaches used?
- Why do you think some psychologists are more comfortable with conducting studies using quantitative data instead of qualitative data?
- What would be an advantage to using qualitative data along with quantitative data?
Find three peer-reviewed articles (one that has used a quantitative approach, one that has used a qualitative approach, and one that has incorporated both approaches.) Summarize these three articles.
- What methods of data collection were used in these articles?
- What makes these methods quantitative or qualitative in nature?
1. In the history of psychology and scientific method, there were more quantitative approaches used. However, there is a current trend to use more qualitative approaches in psychological research such as case studies or ethnography. Though they may not illustrate causation nor have the same scientific rigor or power, qualitative approaches have contributed to research in significant and useful ways to illuminate an event, phenomena in a deep manner that allows for deeper more accurate understanding of the issue/phenomena/event. They offer individual nuances, discover hidden factors and broadens and deepened understanding rather than a general, superficial snapshot.
2. Some psychologists are more comfortable in conducting studies using quantitative data instead of qualitative data because:
i) they were only trained in quantitative research- past generations had little training in qualitative approaches- often a small unit of their coursework.
ii) Past research emphasized quantitative data/research results and thus some psychologists have a bias towards this approach
This solution explores the difference between quantitative and qualitative design
Qualitative versus Quantitative Design
First, review the attached document and find every reference to either qualitative or quantitative design. While these two approaches have many similarities, there are some important differences in the way each should be treated.
Using APA style assist with creating a document with citations compare and contrast the expectations for each approach as presented in the template. You may use other references to help clarify the similarities and the differences.
Then, use the quantitative approach; for that approach document and discuss the Best Practices suggestions.
Support your paper with a minimum of 5 resources. I
Length: 5-7 pages not including title and reference pagesView Full Posting Details