What are your definitions of emotional intelligence and emotional competence? Select a common attribute/component of both and describe how development affects that attribute/component of emotional development.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 6:44 am ad1c9bdddf
Emotional Intelligence and Emotional Competence
(1) What are your definitions of emotional intelligence and emotional competence?
(a) Emotional Intelligence
Emotional intelligence is the "ability to perceive and express emotions, assimilate emotion in thoughts, understand and reason with emotion, and regulate emotion in the self and others" (Mayer, Salovey, & Caruso, 2000 as cited in Cherniss, 2010, p. 486). According to Cherniss, research has examined emotional intelligence in a variety of contexts including: (a) education, (b) social adjustment, (c) health, (d) personal relationships, and (e) work. Cherniss asserts that emotional intelligence is based upon three premises: (1) it plays an important role in life; (2) people vary in their ability to perceive, understand, use and manage emotions, and (3) individuals vary in their adaptation to a variety of contexts (p. 111).
(b) Emotional Competence
Emotional competence refers to the" capacity to identify, understand, express, manage, and use one's own feelings and those of others" (Mayer & Salvoey, 1997 as cited in Kotsou, Nelis, Grégoire & ...
The answer draws on established research to define and compare emotional intelligence and competence. 632 words with cited references.
Discussing Leadership and Emotional Intelligence
On your lunch break, you surf internet sites and try to find different ways to motivating your team from a group perspective, but you are still having trouble connecting with your team as individuals. During your surfing, you come across the term of emotional intelligence. Prompt a discussion on emotional intelligence by answering to the following questions that you will e-mail to your manager.
- Conduct research using the internet related to emotional intelligence.
- List and define five components of emotional intelligence.
- Evaluate your current or former manager on each of the five components of emotional intelligence.
- Describe how you can apply the principles of emotional intelligence to your current situation?
- Describe what organizations do to help develop the emotional intelligence of their managers as well as other employees?