Quantitative: Does the increase in the number of immigration violations lead to increase in crime?
•Identify the sources of existing data that was discovered for the above research question.
•Summarize the relevant data that apply to the research question.
Composed the final data collection
Described valid sources of data and demonstrated why the sources are appropriate for research question
Research Question Breakdown
Research Question - Does the increase in the number of immigration violations lead to increase in crime?
- it is thus assumed that this operationalized research question attempts to explore if immigrant violations (i.e. illegal entry, unlawful presence) in any US territory or the US in general lead to crime and criminality increase.
• IV - Number of Immigrant Violations
• DV - Increase in Crime
There are quite a number of data - measurable being that this is a quantitative study - which can be utilized for such a study as follows:
1. Camarota, S. & Vaughan, J. (2009). Immigration and Crime: Assessing a Conflicted Issue. Center for Immigration Studies. URL: http://www.cis.org/ImmigrantCrime
- this particular study looks at available research by both the academe and the government on the question of immigration and crime. They conclude while past data in the 80's for example show that crime related to immigration is low, new data derived from recent years within the surge of illegal immigration to the US showcased high rates of criminality. They report, for example that, "A Pew Hispanic Center study found that, of those sentenced for federal crimes in 2007, non-citizen Hispanics were 74 percent of immigration offenders, 25 percent of drug offenders, 8 percent of white collar offenders, and 6 percent of firearms offenders. Non-citizen Hispanics are 5.1 percent of the nation's adult population. However, the report does not provide information for other crimes or for non-Hispanic immigrants."
2. Frum, D. (2015). The Problem With Downplaying Immigrant Crime. The Atlantic. URL: ...
The solution provides information, assistance and advise in tackling the task (see above) on the topic of exploring the research subject of immigration violations and crime as it relates to breaking down the question and finding data source for a quantitative study. resources are listed for further exploration of the topic.