Identify an impact or outcome evaluation question about the tobacco prevention and cessation program. Using one of the questions already listed and be a question that would provide significant feedback on the program's quality, utility, and impact on the priority population and then design an evaluation plan for this particular question, using the following guidelines:
1. Briefly summarize the goal of the Maryland tobacco prevention and cessation program. and describe the population of interest for the evaluation (e.g., those who are expected to achieve or receive the intended outcome).
2. Briefly summarize the activities of the tobacco prevention and cessation program.. summarizing only those activities that are hypothesized to impact the intended outcome.
3. State the evaluation question you are evaluating, and explain why it is important.
4. Identify the impact or outcome (dependent) variables and create an operational definition for each variable.
5. Discuss which evaluation design you will use and why.
6. Describe the methods you would use to collect data to answer the evaluation question. Be sure to include the following:
- Explain how the impact or outcome variable will be collected. Describe any modifications needed to an existing instrument, an instrument that would need to be developed, and/or existing records to access.
- Describe the sampling plan.
7. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the design used. Identify any threats to measurement reliability and validity that you might encounter when collecting data and discuss what you would do to reduce these threats.
8. Complete a diagram of a logic model for the tobacco prevention and cessation program..
9. Summarize the ways in which your evaluation results might be used to improve the quality, utility, and impact on the tobacco prevention and cessation program. On the priority populations. ( I am required to write 7 pages and follow APA standards and include a bibliography. )
a. Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Tobacco use prevention and cessation. http://fha.maryland.gov/ohpetup/tob_home.cfm
b.Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (2008). Exploring the cultural, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing tobacco use among Asian Americans, Hispanics, African American abd American Indian in Maryland. Retrieved on June, 21, 2011, from http://www.cfr.state.md.us/html/stats.cfm
c. Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.(2008).Cigarette restitution fund program: Tobacco use prevention and cessation program. http://www.sph.umd.edu/epib/cultural_competency/Logic_Model.pdf
d. Issel, M.L. (2009). Health program planning and evaluation: A practical, systematic approach for community health (2nd Ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
e.Planning, Implementing, and Evaluating Health Promotion Programs: A Primer by James F. McKenzie, Brad L. Neiger, and Jan L. Smeltzer
f. Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.(2008).Cigarette restitution fund program: Tobacco use prevention and cessation program. http://www.sph.umd.edu/epib/cultural_competency/Logic_Model.pdf
Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (2010). M00F03.06 Cigarette restitution fund-Tobacco use and prevention and cessation program- Family health administration. www.dhmh.state.md.us/mfr/doc/2010/Tobacco.doc
g.Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (2007). Local tobacco control initiatives. http://fha.maryland.gov/ohpetup/tob_local_initiatives.cfm.
Find attached below what i have so far for the evaluation, the PDF for the logic model can be viewed (http://sph.umd.edu/epib/cultural_competency/Logic_Model.pdf) under the heading 'final with dr wallen changes.tif'
The primary goal of the Maryland tobacco prevention and cessation program is to reduce the number of individuals engaged in the use of harmful tobacco products, with a secondary goal of reducing the number of tobacco related detrimental health issues that arise due to the use of tobacco products. This program seeks to provide education to individuals within the state of Maryland, concerning the harmful effects of tobacco use, so that these individuals will make the decision that using these products is detrimental to their health and overall well-being. The population of interest for the evaluation of this program, are the citizens of Maryland of all age groups who are aware of this program, and have been positively affected by information provided by this program.
The activities of the Maryland tobacco prevention and cessation program, include intense efforts to raise awareness of the detrimental effects of tobacco use, by facilitating the use of public health facilities as a means by which to distribute pamphlets and other information that is pertinent to the objectives that the program is seeking to bring about. This program has also initiated legal means by which to limit the use of tobacco products, by preventing the use of tobacco products in public places. This program has been instrumental in influencing the state legislature to enact laws that raise the taxes on tobacco products, as well as a free program that helps individuals to quit smoking, instead of leaving them to try to quit on their own.
The evaluation question that I will be evaluating, is the question as to what is the best methodology to use by which to measure the outcomes of this program. This question is a very important question, due to the fact that the only way to effectively evaluate the effectiveness of a given program, is by using the methodology that is best suited for this form of analysis. By utilizing the most ...