In your practice area, what trends do you anticipate influencing curriculum content and structure in the next decade?© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 6:17 pm ad1c9bdddf
You have asked for some of the trends in nursing education that we can expect in the next ten years. The following article, taken from a publication by the Washington University faculty of education provides a solid view of what we can expect in the area of nursing education over the next ten years. The web link to this article is :
Trends in Nursing Education
In 2003, George Keller, noted strategist, listed six trends that will influence the future of higher education.
1. Birth rates in the United States are decreasing
2. We are becoming a geriatric society
3. Immigration is coming from cultures that are very different from the immigrants that arrived in the past.
4. The American family is changing.
5. The U.S. population is becoming increasingly inter-racial, inter-ethnic, and inter-religious.
6. Demographic changes are creating new socioeconomic class structure.
In 2000, Authur Levine, President of Teachers College of Columbia University, listed other trends that will influence higher education:
1. Shifting demographics,
2. New technologies
3. The entrance of commercial organizations into higher education
4. The changing relationship between the university and the state and federal government
5. The move from an industrial to an information society
6. The convergence of publishing, broadcasting, telecommunications, and education
He predicts that:
1. Higher education providers will become more numerous and diverse, more competitive.
2. Technological capabilities are encouraging global universities that can respond quickly with high-quality education to an international student body. Expect Brand names in higher ed
3. Three kinds of universities: Traditional residential; commercial virtual; and combination of the two. The combo will be the most competitive and attractive to students.
4. Higher ed is becoming more individualized: students will set the educational agenda. Any time, any place education will be demanded.
5. There is a shift from teaching to learning with a focus on educational outcomes
6. For profit and other new providers who ...
This solution explores some of the trends in nursing education that we can expect to see in the next ten years. Seven separate trends are included.