You are having a discussion with your co-workers about what constitutes "quality" in healthcare and why these are the essential components of quality.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 9, 2019, 9:06 pm ad1c9bdddf
Interesting question! There is no consensus on how to define "quality" but let's take a look at some of the measures that imply the important components of quality in health care.
1. You are having a discussion with your co-workers about what constitutes "quality" in healthcare and why these are the essential components of quality.
Getting quality health care can help people stay healthy and recover faster when she or he becomes sick. However, we know that often people do not get high-quality care. A 2004 study of 12 large U.S. communities found that just over half (54.9 percent) of people were receiving the care they needed.( http://www.ahrq.gov/consumer/guidetoq/guidetoq6.htm) What exactly is health care quality? What constitutes "quality" in healthcare? We know that quality means different things to different people.
(1) Some people think that getting quality health care means RELATIONAL components of quality:
· Seeing the doctor right away,
· Being treated courteously by the doctor's staff, or
· Having the doctor spend a lot of time with them.
While the about things are important to all of us and part of the quality of care, e.g., builds trust between patient and health provider, etc.) clinical quality of care (see examples below) is even more important and has different components to consider.
(2) Clinical components of quality (e.g., measures to fix the health problem)
Why are these important? Think of it like this: getting quality health care is like taking your car to a mechanic. The people in the shop can be friendly and listen to your complaints, but the most important thing is whether they fix the problem with your car. Likewise, you might see the doctor right away, be treated courteously by the doctor's ...
Through discussion and example, what constitutes "quality" in healthcare and why these are the essential components of quality are highlighted.