The potential for technology to help foster student's creativity and higher-order thinking skills receives special emphasis from the International Society for Technology in Education (I.S.T.E.) (http://www.iste.org/welcome.aspx). Consider what you know about being creative. How do students demonstrate creative thinking in mathematics? Can technology be used to master national or state content standards? What is the nj state standards from mathematics and select one of the standards. (If you are not sure how to find this information, you should be able to locate the standards on your state's Department of Education website. Please see the Iowa Standards, Benchmarks, and Grade Level Indicators webpage as an example.)
Define and describe one of the standards in detail and discuss ways technology can support it.
Will the use of technology create more effective instruction?
Will it foster creativity and higher-order thinking skills?
Will the use of technology impact instruction and/or learning in other ways? Why or why not?
Please I am completely lost, any help is appreciated. Thanks!© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 6:10 am ad1c9bdddf
Students demonstrate creativity in math when they are able to apply math problems to other areas of academics and to everyday life. Math can be applied to geography by having the students make graphs that compare annual precipitation, income, population, growth and death rates in a number of countries. The use of technology gives students a chance to be more actively involved in their education. Taking in information, making decisions and using their skills to apply knowledge allow students to evaluate their own progress and set personal goals. Technology has given students who have shown little to no interest in education the opportunity to be creative. Many students who were failing have increased ...
This solution is comprised of over 400 words with references focusing on a required math standard. Includes examples of how technology can improve mathematic skills.
Observing Math Instruction
Observe an elementary mathematics lesson. Write an essay that addresses the following issues and summarizes your observations:
(1) What is the importance of having standards in mathematics? How do standards improve mathematics instruction? Compare and contrast traditional mathematics programs versus constructivist-type programs in addressing the standards. What are some of the limitations of both types of programs? Use scholarly research to defend your rationale.
(2) What was the objective(s) of the lesson?
(3) What National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) standards were addressed?
(4) What is the importance of having standards in mathematics? How do standards improve mathematics instruction?
(5) What types of methods did you observe the teacher using? Give specific examples to support your observations?
(6) Did the teacher differentiate instruction within a diverse classroom? If so, how? If not, how might the teacher have differentiated the instruction in a diverse classroom?
(7) Was technology used in the instruction of the math lesson? If so, how was technology used? If not, how could technology be used in this math lesson?
(8) Did the teacher use any concrete or manipulative objects, and, if so, did the teacher use them effectively?
(9) How did the teacher assess learning in the classroom? Name the types of assessments used.
(10) What changes might you have made to the lesson?
ii) Include a copy of the lesson plan.View Full Posting Details