Please see the attached file for the full problems.
1. Name each of the following compounds.
2. Write a structural formula for each of the following compounds.
a. benzyl methyl ketone
3. Write an equation for the synthesis of 2-hexanone by
a. oxidation of an alcohol
b. hydration of an alkyne
4. Write an equation for the reaction of propanal with each of the following reagents, and name the organic product.
a. cyanide ion
b. sodium borohydride
c. phenylmagnesium bromide, then H3O+
5. Using a Grignard reagent and the appropriate aldehyde or ketone, show how each of the following can be prepared.
6. Complete the equation for the reaction of
7. Give the structure of each product.
8. Write out the steps for the aldol condensation reaction between the enolate anion of propanal with pentanal.
9. Using Figure 16.1 on page 462 of your textbook, draw the Fisher projection formulas for the following:
10. Using Figure 16.1 on page 462 of your textbook, draw the Fisher projection formulas for the following and then convert them to three-dimensional representations.
Effective and logical 'guidance' to solve the problems, along with plenty of 'examples' and references. This solution is not for those who intend to copy-paste answers from here, but for those who would like to conceptualize the problems and gain better understanding.
Assorted questions on aromatics and grignards
1. Give the structures of all possible products when 3-bromopentane reacts by the E2 mechanism.
2. Ethers and alcohols can be isomeric. Write the structures, and give names for all possible isomers with the molecular formula C4H10O.
3. Using a Grignard reagent and the appropriate aldehyde or ketone, show how each of the following can be prepared.
a. 2-pentanol b. 3-phenyl-3-hexanol
4. Give the structure of each product
a. (see the attached file for equations)
b. (see the attached file for equations)
c. 2-butanone + HCN
5. In each of the following pairs of acids, which would be expected to be stronger, and why?
a. p-BrC6H4CO2H or m-BrC6H4CO2H
b. b. CH3CH2CHBrCO2H or CH2BrCH2CH2CO2H
6. Write out all the steps in the mechanism for ammonolysis of butyl benzoate.
7. Complete the following equations.
(see the attached file for equations)
8. Tell which is the stronger base and why: ammonia or dimethylamine?