2. Ethers and alcohols can be isomeric. Write the structures, and give names for all possible isomers with the molecular formula C4H10O.
3. Using a Grignard reagent and the appropriate aldehyde or ketone, show how each of the following can be prepared.
a. 2-pentanol b. 3-phenyl-3-hexanol
4. Give the structure of each product
a. (see the attached file for equations)
b. (see the attached file for equations)
c. 2-butanone + HCN
5. In each of the following pairs of acids, which would be expected to be stronger, and why?
a. p-BrC6H4CO2H or m-BrC6H4CO2H
b. b. CH3CH2CHBrCO2H or CH2BrCH2CH2CO2H
6. Write out all the steps in the mechanism for ammonolysis of butyl benzoate.
7. Complete the following equations.
(see the attached file for equations)
8. Tell which is the stronger base and why: ammonia or dimethylamine?
A number of questions including acidity of benzoic acids, nomenclature of alcohols and ethers, reactions of amines, and ammonolysis of esters are answered.