1. The isomerization of cyclopropane to form propene
CH3 - CH CH2CH2
is a first-order reaction. At 760 K, 15 percent of a sample of cyclopropane changes to propene in 6.8 minutes. What is the half-life of cyclopropane at 760 K?
2. Consider the two gaseous equilibria (K1 and K2):
SO2(g) + ½O2(g) SO3(g) K1
2SO3(g) 2SO2(g) + O2(g) K2
The values of the equilibrium constants K1 and K2 are related by ________.
3. The following reactions occur at 500 K. Arrange them in order of increasing tendency to proceed to completion (i.e., least completion greatest completion).
1. 2NOCl 2NO + Cl2 KP = 1.7 x 10-2
2. N2O4 2NO2 KP = 1.5 x 103
3. 2SO3 2SO2 + O2 KP = 1.3 x 10-5
4. 2NO2 2NO + O2 KP = 5.9 x 10-5
4. On analysis, an equilibrium mixture for the reaction
2H2S(g) 2H2(g) + S2(g)
was found to contain 1.0 mol H2S, 4.0 mol H2, and 0.80 mol S2 in a 4.0 L vessel. Calculate the equilibrium constant for this reaction.
5. At 35oC, the equilibrium constant for the following reaction is Kc = 1.6 x 10-5.
2NOCl(g) 2NO(g) + Cl2(g)
An equilibrium mixture was found to have the following concentrations of Cl2 and NOCl:
[Cl2] = 1.2 x 10-2 M; [NOCl] = 2.8 x 10-1 M. Calculate the concentration of NO(g) at equilibrium.
6. For the following reactions the equilibrium constants are defined.
A + 2B C K1
C D + E K2
Then for the reaction
A + 2B D + E Kc
the equilibrium constant must be equal to ________.
7. At 700 K, the reaction
2SO2(g) + O2(g) 2SO3(g)
has an equilibrium constant Kc = 4.3 x 106, and the following concentrations are present:
[SO2] = 0.10 M
[SO3] = 10 M
[O2] = 0.10 M
Is the mixture at equilibrium? If not at equilibrium, in which direction-left to right or right to left- will the reaction occur to reach equilibrium?
8. For the following reaction at equilibrium, which choice gives a change that will shift the position of equilibrium to favor formation of more products?
2NOBr(g) 2NO(g) + Br2(g) Horxn = 30 kJ© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 1:19 am ad1c9bdddf
This solution explainsa variety of problems dealing with reaction kinetics, rate laws, and equilibrium.
Kinetics and Equilibrium
Please see the attached Word document. All problems are listed in the document.View Full Posting Details