1. The isomerization of cyclopropane to form propene
CH3 - CH CH2CH2
is a first-order reaction. At 760 K, 15 percent of a sample of cyclopropane changes to propene in 6.8 minutes. What is the half-life of cyclopropane at 760 K?
2. Consider the two gaseous equilibria (K1 and K2):
SO2(g) + ½O2(g) SO3(g) K1
2SO3(g) 2SO2(g) + O2(g) K2
The values of the equilibrium constants K1 and K2 are related by ________.
3. The following reactions occur at 500 K. Arrange them in order of increasing tendency to proceed to completion (i.e., least completion greatest completion).
1. 2NOCl 2NO + Cl2 KP = 1.7 x 10-2
2. N2O4 2NO2 KP = 1.5 x 103
3. 2SO3 2SO2 + O2 KP = 1.3 x 10-5
4. 2NO2 2NO + O2 KP = 5.9 x 10-5
4. On analysis, an equilibrium mixture for the reaction
2H2S(g) 2H2(g) + S2(g)
was found to contain 1.0 mol H2S, 4.0 mol H2, and 0.80 mol S2 in a 4.0 L vessel. Calculate the equilibrium constant for this reaction.
5. At 35oC, the equilibrium constant for the following reaction is Kc = 1.6 x 10-5.
2NOCl(g) 2NO(g) + Cl2(g)
An equilibrium mixture was found to have the following concentrations of Cl2 and NOCl:
[Cl2] = 1.2 x 10-2 M; [NOCl] = 2.8 x 10-1 M. Calculate the concentration of NO(g) at equilibrium.
6. For the following reactions the equilibrium constants are defined.
A + 2B C K1
C D + E K2
Then for the reaction
A + 2B D + E Kc
the equilibrium constant must be equal to ________.
7. At 700 K, the reaction
2SO2(g) + O2(g) 2SO3(g)
has an equilibrium constant Kc = 4.3 x 106, and the following concentrations are present:
[SO2] = 0.10 M
[SO3] = 10 M
[O2] = 0.10 M
Is the mixture at equilibrium? If not at equilibrium, in which direction-left to right or right to left- will the reaction occur to reach equilibrium?
8. For the following reaction at equilibrium, which choice gives a change that will shift the position of equilibrium to favor formation of more products?
2NOBr(g) 2NO(g) + Br2(g) Horxn = 30 kJ
This solution explainsa variety of problems dealing with reaction kinetics, rate laws, and equilibrium.