Required elements to include in the Mission and Vision Paper:
Select one of the following pairs of companies:
1. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's
2. Southwest Airlines and Jet Blue Air
3. UPS and FedEx
4. Patagonia Outdoor Clothing and Columbia Sportswear
5. Bank of America and Wells Fargo
6. Google and Yahoo
7. Hilton Hotels and Marriott Hotels
1) Using the companies' investor Web sites, annual report, or other reliable web source (not a Wiki file); find the mission statement of each of the two companies.
2) Prepare a well-reasoned analysis of the similarities and differences of the two organizations based on the mission statement.
3) Discuss the quality of each mission statement based on concepts from the textbook.
4) Assess whether the mission statement clearly defines the organization and drives strategic decisions?
5) Provide recommendations to the leadership team for improving the quality of the current mission statement.
Discuss the "vision" for each company. Do the companies appear to be heading in the same direction? Explain your rationale and provide support for your position.
- Select one of the companies in the pair and respond to the questions below. Ensure that correlations are drawn between your responses and concepts discussed in the textbook.
- How does the company respond to the issue of social responsibility? In what kinds of activities does the organization participate? Do you think its activities are appropriate? Explain you answer.
- Prepare a SWOT analysis of the selected company, including at least two strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats each.
- Based on the concepts learned so far, provide your recommendation for turning the weaknesses into strengths and the threats into opportunities.
Required Formatting of Paper:
- This paper should be double-spaced, 12-point font, and between five and six pages in length excluding the title page and reference page.
- Use APA formatting for in-text citations and reference page. You are expected to paraphrase and not use quotes other than in identifying the mission statement and vision statement.
- You are required to use the company investor websites and at least two academic or highly respected business publications, to a total of no less than four references.
The business mission and vision is both an important measure to deciphering the company's goals and initiatives within the targeted marketplace. Hence, the non-existence mission is similar to a business with no focused on objectives to achieve and how to which achieve set goals. While, the company's vision is the worldly view of primarily striving towards a common cause that promotes serving the customers that the products or services aims in satisfying direct needs.
Let's take a look at the core areas of comparing companies with mission, vision, social responsibility, and strategic planning to aims in accomplishing set corporate goals:
- Prepare a well-reasoned analysis of the similarities and differences of the two organizations based on the mission statement. Discuss the quality of each mission statement based on concepts from the textbook.
By outlining the main objectives of the companies, for instance, the two hotel chains of Hilton and Marriott the outcome will render a systematic approach to comparing the similarities. Below are the two hotel corporation's mission and vision statements for initial review and focus in accessing how they differ and how they are alike:
The Hilton Hotels mission is to be the preeminent global hospitality company and the first choice of guests, team members, and owners and vision is to fill the earth with light and warmth of hospitality (Hilton.com, 2013).
The Marriott mission and vision is in the focus to be the #1 hospitality companies in the world through purpose, values, success measures, and strategy (Marriot.com 2013).
Try and ...
The solution discusses the mission, vision, social responsibility and strategic planning.
What are the roles of mission and vision statements in strategic management?
1. What is strategic management? What are the roles of mission and vision statements in strategic management? Can an organization have a successful strategic plan without effective mission and vision statements? Why or why not?
2. What is the difference between mission and vision statements? What factors must be considered to produce an appropriate mission and vision statement for an organization?
3.Name two potentially valuable indicators of a firm's social responsibility and describe how company performance could be measured.
737 wordsView Full Posting Details