You have been encouraged by a colleague to write a brief article about "CEOs and presidents" for a management journal. You have decided to compare the leadership styles of three leaders: Andrea Jung, Indra Nooyi, and Brenda Barnes. Using the Library, the Internet, and your course materials, write a document via Word that elaborates on the following:
In your article, provide the following:
- An introduction to the concept of influence processes
- A summary of the various types of influence processes and the factors that can affect them
- An analysis of the processes used by the three leaders: Andrea Jung, Indra Nooyi, and Brenda Barnes. Identify the processes that the leaders and top management team (TMT) are using to impact the organization. Use the table below to organize your answers (you can copy the table from this browser window and paste it into your Word document). Please enter into each cell in the table how that leader is using that particular influence method (if applicable).
Influence Method Andrea Jung Indra Nooyi Brenda Barnes
Allocation of resources
Selection and promotion of other leaders
- Explain the role of individual differences and traits in leadership.
- Describe the role of relationship development and management in effective leadership and use the concepts in improving leadership effectiveness.
- Analyze the various leader, follower, cultural, and situational characteristics that contribute to leadership.
- Apply critical thinking skills to analyze business situations.
See the attached file for the table.
The influence process of a particular leader determines the basic functioning of an organization. The leaders and the top management executives, like the CEO, do influence their organizations. The processes which they utilize to influence or bring a change in an organization can be termed as influence processes. These influence processes vary from one leader to another. The determinants of these influence processes can be personality traits, strategic acumen, and experiences derived from past and culture. In this paper, various influence processes adopted by leaders like Andrea Jung, Indra Nooyi, and Brenda Barnes will be analyzed in detail.
The performance and strategic orientation of a firm is shaped by the type of influence processes that the leaders choose to adopt. One of the influence processes is having a strong control over the organization's mission and vision. By having a direct control on the mission and vision of the firm, a leader can influence the organization's culture. The formulation or modification of a strategy can also be done by a leader if there is a direct relationship between the leader and the management.
Such direct relationship could have other effects too, like power in making decisions, and determining the organizational environment and structure. Another influence process is the allocation of resources through which the organization can be influenced by the top management leaders. Leaders who adopt this influence process determine as to how the different resources, viz. human resources, financial resources, and technological resources, are to allocate across the organization.
The leaders could also adopt an influence process of having a reward system in place. Such influence process also affects the organization's culture. The employees of a firm do get affected by this influence process as they expect rewards in return of an expected behavior or accomplishment of certain targets. Rewards can be in the form of monetary benefits or other kinds of benefits, like promotions.
Leaders even encourage others to perform at their level best, and try to promote them to leadership positions if they exhibit sensitivity to the structure and culture of the firm, and achieve the desired targets. Another influence process through which leaders can affect the culture of a firm is role modeling. If a leader set the norms and becomes a role model, then the influence he could have on the firm and its employees would be manifold.
The behavior exhibited by a leader in any process of the organization determines how employees would their work. For example, ...
In this paper, we will discuss various influence processes being used by the leaders in order to impact the culture and employees of their organizations. There are basically five types of influence methods, viz. direct decisions, allocation of resources, reward system, selection and promotion of other leaders, and role modeling. In line with this, influence methods used by Andrea Jung, Indra Nooyi, and Brenda Barnes will be described in this paper. The response addresses the queries posted in 1475 words with ten references.