Criterion Development, Performance Evaluation, and Appraisal questions
1. What criteria or standards do I/O consultants use when developing selection systems? Include some specific examples of criteria or standards from this week's readings or the literature.
2. What are some of the theoretical issues associated with selection of criteria for measuring the effectiveness of individuals, groups, and organizations? Provide references to support your response.
3. Share the process used to conduct job analyses at your organization. How does your organization conform to acceptable job analysis practices? What are the implications of not conforming to acceptable standards? (If you are not familiar with your organization's process, what process would you suggest?)
4. What is a competency? What is a competency model? How does competency modeling compare to job analysis?
5. Why is it important to measure and evaluate performance in the workplace? What methods do I/O consultants use to measure and evaluate employee performance? Which method is most effective?
6. What are some of the barriers to effective performance evaluation? Provide examples. How might you overcome these barriers?
7. What factors might influence the reliability and validity of assessment results?
8. What are some of the threats to internal validity of assessment results when evaluating the performance of individuals, teams, and organizations? Select two threats. What are some things you could do to reduce these threats.© BrainMass Inc. brainmass.com October 25, 2018, 3:20 am ad1c9bdddf
Criterion Development, Performance Evaluation, and Appraisal Questions
Solution - 1
Industrial/organizational psychology is the diligence or prolongation of psychological methods and precepts for resolving organizational and workplace difficulties. I/O consultants are concerned with the resolution of problems induced by human functioning and those which impact human functioning within organizational settings. For resolving all these human related aspects and selection of appropriate candidates, I/O consultants develop effective selection systems (Jackson & Schuler, 1990). These selection systems are developed on the basis of specific standards or criteria's. For designing selection systems, I/O consultants usually work with HR professionals.
For the development of selection systems, I/O consultants make use of employ manifest-based practices so that they can identify the most competent candidates. It also includes a set process or standard that includes new hires as well as promotion of individuals from within the firm (Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2010). As well, another substantial standard used by I/O consultants are the integration of specific selection tools like ability tests, personal interview, physical & knowledge tests, structured interviews, personality tests, work samples and the organized aggregation of biographical data.
Personnel selection processes are ordinarily formalized, i.e., established to be job applicable. It also makes use of different type of validity evaluations like content validity, construct validity and/or criterion-related validity. In addition to this, I/O consultants also comply with professional standards, like the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology's rationales and several other guidelines of this field (Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2010).
Solution - 2
Effectiveness of individuals, groups and organizations may be defined as the level to which an organization is thriving in arriving at its objectives. This simple definition of effectiveness becomes difficult when it associates with some specific selection of criteria. A number of theoretical issues are associated with selection of criteria for measuring the effectiveness of individuals, groups and organizations (Flood, Scott, Ewy & Forrest, 1982). The most common issues associated with this are definitions of goals that rely on what theoretical perspective is employed. For instance like a firm's turnout objectives would be accentuated in a rational system position whereas system or continuation goals would be emphasized in a natural system view.
Nowadays, organizations pursue manifold and sometimes unsuited objectives at the same time that makes an effectiveness assessment subjective and imperfect. Evaluation of effectiveness is complicated and contentious in present professional organizations. In present most of the law firms, healthcare facilities, universities and research organizations are usually multi-product firms that render different groups and interests with different goals (Flood, Scott, Ewy & Forrest, 1982). In this situation, determination of aspects of performance that can be emphasised is difficult as the ensuing measure of effectiveness can deviate in accordance to the facets analyzed.
Solution - 3
I would suggest subsequent process for conducting job analyses on the basis of my own experience and knowledge:
? Identify aim of job analysis: First of all company should identify its aim of job analyses so that methods and type of data required can be determined.
? Selection of ...
Criterion development, performance evaluation and appraisals are examined.
Appraisal and Training: determine which performance appraisal and training and development program would best support your organization
Can you help me get started on this assignment?
Building a proposal plan. You must determine which performance appraisal and training and development program would best support your organization (retail business like, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Etc).
1. Select a performance appraisal method that would be most effective to the organization's structure and support your selection.
2. Provide an overview and vision for a training and development program tailored to support organizational goals and culture.
3. Create a rough draft for a career path and succession plan.View Full Posting Details